Trouble getting corals through quarantine?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you were using "bio-load" as an equivalent to N/P. We are on the same page. My bad.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see numerous posts of people who struggle with acropora and dry rock. I realize not all do but how is seeding block for a few short weeks any different?

When you buy ocean rock they let it sit for years.

I would take some established rocks out of the DT but that’s me and how I was able to immediately QT acros. Not new dry stuff that’s just a few weeks old either. Established stuff.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty. So starving the corals and killing them is ok though? How does fish to support coral health in coral qt defeat the qt purpose? I’ve never qt’d a fish in my 20 years of this hobby and have never seen velvet or ich or any of the other stuff. Then I read all of these fish dying in qt.
Where’s the qt fish police?

Ah so you having not qt'd means its useless. Neat! I guess we can ignore my years of experience at an lfs dealing with disease on a daily basis and it being the number one reason a persons fish dies as well as every other person who has dealt with lots of fish disease. I guess the same applies to humans. We should ignore disease in general because you've never caught a deadly pathogen. LOL those fools dying. You've never been sick with a deadly disease, so why should anyone else care about disease? Same goes for aiptasia, AEFW, etc.

See my point?

And did I say starve the corals? Nope. I said feed them so I am not sure where you are getting that idea from. I said feed them something like reef energy.

The fish defeats the purpose because any disease that could come from the coral in there could the get onto the fish and having a fish in a qt tank just wafting for it to get some disease is cruel and unethical. The whole point of a coral QT is no fish so that disease can die off in there without making it into the display. But again, since you have never had a problem, no one else has ever nor will ever have a disease crash their tank so OP should just throw everything straight in.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I forgot to add, I do feed 10 ml Red Sea ab+ daily

Maybe boost it up till you can get nitrate and phosphate up slightly more. Aim for 0.04ppm phosphate at 10 nitrate. This is a bit more in teh safe range

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused that no one seems to have mentioned the light and PAR measurements. Do you have any lighting details (beyond the type) you're able to share?

OP
OP
Drummerguydw

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused that no one seems to have mentioned the light and PAR measurements. Do you have any lighting details (beyond the type) you're able to share?
I use the ab+ spectrum, I do own a par meter, light is 275-300 par at the frag rack.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah so you having not qt'd means its useless. Neat! I guess we can ignore my years of experience at an lfs dealing with disease on a daily basis and it being the number one reason a persons fish dies as well as every other person who has dealt with lots of fish disease. I guess the same applies to humans. We should ignore disease in general because you've never caught a deadly pathogen. LOL those fools dying. You've never been sick with a deadly disease, so why should anyone else care about disease? Same goes for aiptasia, AEFW, etc.

See my point?

And did I say starve the corals? Nope. I said feed them so I am not sure where you are getting that idea from. I said feed them something like reef energy.

The fish defeats the purpose because any disease that could come from the coral in there could the get onto the fish and having a fish in a qt tank just wafting for it to get some disease is cruel and unethical. The whole point of a coral QT is no fish so that disease can die off in there without making it into the display. But again, since you have never had a problem, no one else has ever nor will ever have a disease crash their tank so OP should just throw everything straight in.
I apologize…I thought we were trying to help coral on this thread, my bad. Btw one of the last places I would ask for acro help is my lfs. Can you guess the other the place I wouldn’t ask for acro help? I don’t see how a fish disease could be transmitted through coral if it’s qt’d properly and remounted. An acro pest or disease killing fish sounds even more improbable. I’m not trying to stop you or anyone else from wasting their time. I just hate seeing/hearing about corals dying.

There have been many times at my lfs store where I witnessed the employees suggesting damsels or clownfish for new tanks. Is that unethical? No one has ever asked me if my tank has a lid when I purchase fish. Is that unethical or cruel? Bc they could jump out you know…. and give my dogs ich or velvet.

Good luck OP
Let me know when you figure it out
I’ve got a bunch of high end Tenuis I can sell you.

OP
OP
Drummerguydw

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize…I thought we were trying to help coral on this thread, my bad. Btw one of the last places I would ask for acro help is my lfs. Can you guess the other the place I wouldn’t ask for acro help? I don’t see how a fish disease could be transmitted through coral if it’s qt’d properly and remounted. An acro pest or disease killing fish sounds even more improbable. I’m not trying to stop you or anyone else from wasting their time. I just hate seeing/hearing about corals dying.

There have been many times at my lfs store where I witnessed the employees suggesting damsels or clownfish for new tanks. Is that unethical? No one has ever asked me if my tank has a lid when I purchase fish. Is that unethical or cruel? Bc they could jump out you know…. and give my dogs ich or velvet.

Good luck OP
Let me know when you figure it out
I’ve got a bunch of high end Tenuis I can sell you.
Thank you! Im sure it’ll get sorted out, my new display will be sps (Acropora) dominant, so I want to figure this all out as best I can

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my fishless coral QT. I might actually turn it into SPS dominant for fun but keep it fishless so I can continue To QT corals.

It is 25g with no filtration, No fish, no testing, no dosing. I just do a water change now and again.

The key for me was mature live rock. It’s basically a cheat code.

D982F231-5386-4E0A-A0B7-64A9E0A81DB1.png

F2A2C97B-5C8C-471A-BDC8-CCE630FC622A.png

68069511-2EF8-40AF-BA2D-5864D441DD9F.png

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is my fishless coral QT. I might actually turn it into SPS dominant for fun but keep it fishless so I can continue To QT corals.

It is 25g with no filtration, No fish, no testing, no dosing. I just do a water change now and again.

The key for me was mature live rock. It’s basically a cheat code.

D982F231-5386-4E0A-A0B7-64A9E0A81DB1.png

F2A2C97B-5C8C-471A-BDC8-CCE630FC622A.png

Hi. How do you get the proper amount of nitrate and phosphate? I have 0 nitrate and .12 phosphate at the moment in my fishless coral QT. Trying to fix this issue.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. How do you get the proper amount of nitrate and phosphate? I have 0 nitrate and .12 phosphate at the moment in my fishless coral QT. Trying to fix this issue.

I don't do anything. It is mature live rock full of life, it seems to regulate itself beautifully as many mature tanks do.

I guess in your case, you need to dose some nitrate.

OP
OP
Drummerguydw

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably wind up dosing nitrate and phosphate next time around, but I am tempted to put some mature live rock in my qt next time and see if that helps
Hi. How do you get the proper amount of nitrate and phosphate? I have 0 nitrate and .12 phosphate at the moment in my fishless coral QT. Trying to fix this issue

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back