Trouble Keeping Clams

NickK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted a clam since I started my aquarium. I've bought and killed multiple clams through the years, and they all follow the same path. They start healthy and slowly dwindle down. I've tried different venders and different sizes. All Maxima.

I think it's something in my aquarium, but I let my aquarium go for a year without a clam before I tried this time.

I don't think it's my water or lighting. I have multiple thriving SPS colonies.

My best guess is there is some parasite/pathogen in my aquarium. What do you think?

New Healthy Clam - July 2
7-2-21.PNG

July 6th, Clam is healthy and attached
7-6-21.PNG

July 17, Clam is starting to show some signs of pinched mantle on the Left side
7-17-21.PNG

July 25th the clam is not extending it's mantle on the left side.
7-25-21.PNG

Today the Clam is not extending it's mantle on both sides.

I've given it a fresh water bath a week ago, and it hasn't helped.

I feel terrible every time one dies. I've had the same fish and corals for years.

Any ideas?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info in this thread:

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose phytoplankton? I know the article linked above recommends against feeding them. I don't feed mine directly, but I do dose phyto daily and so far six months later it's still doing well.

Most online articles mention them feeding on phytoplankton in addition to photosynthesis for nutrition.

OP
OP
NickK

NickK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose phytoplankton? I know the article linked above recommends against feeding them. I don't feed mine directly, but I do dose phyto daily and so far six months later it's still doing well.

Most online articles mention them feeding on phytoplankton in addition to photosynthesis for nutrition.
I don't normally dose phyto, but I have been dosing it daily since I got the clam. I turn the return pump off for 30 min and put it in the display. I figure it can't hurt.

OP
OP
NickK

NickK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said you don't think it's your lights, but do you know what PAR the clam is at?
I have a Radion Gen 3 XR30pro running AB+ at 55% intensity.

I really don't think PAR is an issue. I burned my SPS before I turned the intensity down to 55%. Now, the Acrapora beside the clam is thriving.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your clam looks low in the tank in the pics (unless I am not seeing it correctly), my maxima is on the highest rock directly under metal hallides. Maxima likes super high light. Just a thought to investigate, since it seems like your tank should be able to keep one. Good luck

OP
OP
NickK

NickK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your clam looks low in the tank in the pics (unless I am not seeing it correctly), my maxima is on the highest rock directly under metal hallides. Maxima likes super high light. Just a thought to investigate, since it seems like your tank should be able to keep one. Good luck
I kept the clam low for a week while it was attaching, and it's been at the top after the 1st week.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might want to check for sweeper tentacles at night from its neighbor. Check for pyramid snails and other pests. Btw, I find that most maxima’s come from high light systems (unless you know they came from a tank with low light?), so light acclimation doesn’t have to be long. I think you can put them in medium light for a day or two, then start to move them up.

OP
OP
NickK

NickK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked before, but I found this last night. This might be my culprit. I'm going to start cleaning every night and hope my clam makes it. BTW, I've looked multiple times, and I've never seen these in my tank before.

20210817_122506435_iOS.png

IMG_5410.jpg

Can anyone ID these round snails? Are they parasitic?

20210817_122625693_iOS.png

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This comment is not helpful. You show me your corals and I'll show you mine.

He is trying to help you, and your comment does not help either does it? Obviously PAR is super important. I think clams need 350+ and we dont know about your tank. Measure it!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
NickK

NickK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna go with what’s in the background of the first pic.
Good Job! That's why I posted that pic.

I've wondered if my African Flameback could be nipping. I've never seen him nip at SPS or clams, but it's definitely a possibility.

I'm not getting rid of my flameback, so i'll wait until he dies before I try another clam.

mitten_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've wondered if my African Flameback could be nipping. I've never seen him nip at SPS or clams, but it's definitely a possibility.

I'm not getting rid of my flameback, so i'll wait until he dies before I try another clam.
I have a pygmy cherub that'll cruise by and nip my clam every now and again.... I think it's the time that you don't watch the tank that they could be misbehaving, and damage could be done then. I hope this one stays strong enough to survive, good luck

OP
OP
NickK

NickK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is trying to help you, and your comment does not help either does it? Obviously PAR is super important. I think clams need 350+ and we dont know about your tank. Measure it!
I don't own a par meter and I'm not going to buy one.

As I previously stated, "I have a Radion Gen 3 XR30pro running AB+ at 55% intensity." This light fixture has been thoroughly tested. If you really care what my par numbers are, you can figure it out. The clam was mounted 10" down from the surface.

I can tell you that the par is adequate, because i have had to turn this fixture down until it quit burning my SPS.

There's so many people that are "experts" that can't grow anything larger than a frag. Consistency within acceptable parameters is more important than exact numbers.

This is an older picture, but you get the idea.

IMG_2678.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If one pyramid snail gets inside the clam, it's game over. Burning sps isn't always about light, but more about nutrient levels and access to building blocks. It's hard to judge by your pics, but most of the corals look pale to me, so nutrients could also be a factor here (like I said, it's hard to tell by the pics). Regardless, you have two major culprits that were/are visible, the Flameback and pyramid snails. I know a lot of reefers get upset when others start asking questions that don't seem relevant to the topic, but there's a reason we ask more questions than you. All of the information helps to track down what's going on and helps us form a solution/answer. This is part of the process and it's how you and others learn. I've asked for help (everyone does) and the responses are good, because it gives you a different perspective and allows you to view the problem from a different angle. So go with the flow and share as much as you can, because you'll be helping others as well. My last bit of advice is to buy some books on clams. You can buy used books on Amazon for dirt cheap and some of them come from libraries and have never been read by anyone. Daniel Knop and James Fatherree both have great books on clams and both books can be bought for less than $50 (hardcover) combined.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a Flame back that was a model citizen until I added a Scolymia. He never nipped at any hard corals, zoas or mushrooms but seemed to like soft fleshy Scoly. I had to move the Flame back to another tank. In fact I had to drain my tank to get him out. Keep an eye on him. He didnt sit there and eat it, he would just nipped as he swam by it. Good luck

Back