Trouble lowering Phosphates

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rowaphos in a reactor. Don't rinse it, you want a gentle tumble. I run 6 tablespoons which is good for 100g. Easy.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question now that I’m reading this, when GFO or Rowa is added into the reactor, how much flow should it have and how do I know when there is enough? @Mark Bradley @Reef.

pits a matter of what works best for your tank, you will soon learn what works with practice, you don’t want the Rowa getting battered around in the reactor or it will grind to dust, and release into your tank, it is said to be harmless but it is unsightly, I tend to agree as I didn’t rinse or use floss the first time I used Rowa, the reactor emptied into the tank, the tank was covered in red dust, all corals and fish etc were fine, took me days to remove it all.

You can mix with carbon too as this helps the Rowa not clumping together as much, as said you want the flow as low as possible but also as high as you can get it so the reactor can do its job, if it’s too low, it will not remove the po4 fast enough, you can add more floss if you need to turn the reactor up higher…a side note, if using carbon, rinse that too.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question now that I’m reading this, when GFO or Rowa is added into the reactor, how much flow should it have and how do I know when there is enough? @Mark Bradley @Reef.
The rowaphos should be ‘bubbling over’ - you don’t want it bouncing around the reactor - a small amount of movement so the the rowaphos is continuously turning over is the aim.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pits a matter of what works best for your tank, you will soon learn what works with practice, you don’t want the Rowa getting battered around in the reactor or it will grind to dust, and release into your tank, it is said to be harmless but it is unsightly, I tend to agree as I didn’t rinse or use floss the first time I used Rowa, the reactor emptied into the tank, the tank was covered in red dust, all corals and fish etc were fine, took me days to remove it all.

You can mix with carbon too as this helps the Rowa not clumping together as much, as said you want the flow as low as possible but also as high as you can get it so the reactor can do its job, if it’s too low, it will not remove the po4 fast enough, you can add more floss if you need to turn the reactor up higher…a side note, if using carbon, rinse that too.
BRS sells the small reactor container or the larger one. Obviously the smaller one I assume holds less but it that more than enough for what I’m doing or should I go with the bigger reservoir?

TwentyfiveCents

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the actual target for phosphates? I'm trying to avoid using extra media to keep it lower myself, but seems like a media reactor is just easier. Would you recommend rowaphose over brs gfo?

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sells the small reactor container or the larger one. Obviously the smaller one I assume holds less but it that more than enough for what I’m doing or should I go with the bigger reservoir?
Small should be fine for rowa, you can mix it with carbon but even for a 120g you should have plenty room, just did a quick check, dose for a 120g to drop po4 from 0.4 to 0.01 was about 13tbsp if mixing with carbon you can probably double that, so around 20 tablespoons total.

Just check the size, allow for the sponges and some filter floss.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back