Troubled Maxima

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small blue Maxima clam from a vendor at MACNA in New Orleans. It is about 1.5 to 2 inches long.
It flips over no matter where I put it. I have tried the sand in lower light when I first put it in the tank. I tried on a rock midway up, I have tried higher up.
It is not happy anywhere I put it.
I have had a bigger Maxima on the sand bed with a rock under it for a couple of years that has not moved and is apparently happy and healthy.

What can I do for this new little one?

How can I tell if it's foot is damaged?

They had it on egg crate when I bought it and it was fully open and looked good to me.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its flip because it was try to move to different area because it doesn't like the flow, the light. If you place it on a rock work make sure the area is flat and big enough for it. If it flipped over, it will align itself up again in different position. My babies Maxima and Derasa did that all the time for first week now they are stay at same place after settled, they might move again when they grow bigger but for now they are fine.
Edit:
My clams were attached to the egg crate and before I told the staff to be gentle to get it out...they just ripped it off the egg crate by forced. I was a bit upset but I didn't see any real damage from that but I still gave LFS a warning if it die after 48 hours I will return for a refund, they are all fine and happy now.

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has been moved more than a few times then I'd leave it be on the sand bed since it can't fall from being up on a rock. A curved clam bed from thrive would be ideal or anything similar. It needs to acclimate to your tank and lighting. The foot won't be damaged unless it was ripped off while attached and it won't set it's foot until happy. Try putting egg crate in the sand then place the clam on the egg crate

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to put the clam on a surface that the clam can attach to. Here my large Maxima on its mounting plate. They need a solid base to mount too as they have large basal open an this area is where infection and pretors

https://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_...Frag_Plugs-Marine_Depot-MD3138-FIMTCM-vi.html

7ac01f419b364dcb617cef95f8edb6c2.jpg
cf45fa24b3b78357ef191b701e216921.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 81.0%
  • Other.

Back