True Hawaiian Yellow tangs for sale !!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meaning stay on topic

No, it means to clarify what the difference is between them other than the possible location. Is there a color variance? Is there a size variance? Is there a life expectancy variance? Have the discussion. No mind stories.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FeliciaM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if I move to Vietnam and have a child with my American Caucasian GF should I say my child is veitnamese? Just kidding I still think it's misleading on the vendors part. Thank you for chiming in.
Not only are the Biota captive bred yellow tang bred and raised in Hawaii, they trace their lineage directly to Hawaiian yellow tang parents or ancestors. They are genetically identical to wild Hawaiian yellow tang.

Last edited:

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically speaking, the ad is correct. They are Hawaiian Yellow Tangs. However, it seems they were intentionally vague in the ad to trick people into paying higher prices for what they think are wild-caught Hawaiian Yellow Tangs.

However, out of curiosity, I used their contact form on the website to ask if they were captive bred or wild caught and their response was:
"Hello, they're bred in Hawaii"

At least they are honest if you ask. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically speaking, the ad is correct. They are Hawaiian Yellow Tangs. However, it seems they were intentionally vague in the ad to trick people into paying higher prices for what they think are wild-caught Hawaiian Yellow Tangs.

However, out of curiosity, I used their contact form on the website to ask if they were captive bred or wild caught and their response was:

At least they are honest if you ask. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Their response is technically true but completely sidestepped your question. I prefer to do business with honest business owners when possible. This business does not inspire confidence.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thst should tell you everything you need to know. Being ambiguous on purpose to attract sales and lure the unsuspecting.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple fact tangs are yellow and I wouldn’t know if it was wild or captive bred only on someone telling me but remember never believe everything people tell you . The reef game is getting out of hand on pricing in the 90 a decent size tang was £50 and corals the size of your hands £45to£50 and with a lump of live rock on it . I love yellow tangs and have kept them many years ago but I would not fill dealers pockets with over the top prices . People say they have overhead’s yes that’s true but they wouldn’t be in the game if they weren’t making money. I hate the saying this is a rich man’s hobby this hobby should be available for everyone rich or poor but the way things are going maybe it will end up been a rich man’s game

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed them and asked directly if they were from Biota and this was the response. This is deceptive and disingenuous. The guy should just say they are from Biota, bred in Hawaii if he wants to market them as 'Hawaiian' yellow tangs.

1693683748672.png

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its the the price that is making the difference, let's be honest if it was 30$ no one would care what name came before "yellow tang" it's all these high prices on corals and fish that's making it more important that the name can be verified and matches the price tag.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its the the price that is making the difference, let's be honest if it was 30$ no one would care what name came before "yellow tang" it's all these high prices on corals and fish that's making it more important that the name can be verified and matches the price tag.
Yeah, that is a problem considering they're $100 more than ordering from Biota.

frydaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that is a problem considering they're $100 more than ordering from Biota.

Biota 2” tangs are $250, the 1” are $165. So if they are 2” that’s only $10 more than biota charges directly.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is important to note that it cost something to ship, acclimate, and feed fish. Overhead is a concept many of you in the hobby do not understand. If you own a business you understand. If you don't your education is lacking! Their prices seem very reasonable considering the cost of a retail operation these days. Though crowd here and another reason I left the aquarium industry after more than 25 years! Run a business before you criticize somebody who is just trying to survive in the aquarium business.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota 2” tangs are $250, the 1” are $165. So if they are 2” that’s only $10 more than biota charges directly.
Still seems a better option to buy direct than from someone that won't admit where they got them. You could still end up with a 1.75" tang at the $160 price. They're only $250 if they're 2+ inches.

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first yellow was 30$! when do those days come back!!!!! lol

6 yellows for me . . .. 4 were 29.99 and other two $49.99
Those were the days !!
I've got both of you guys beat, in 1988 yellow tangs were $9.99 at Orange Coast Tropical Fish in Buena Park, California.

I think yellow tangs are overrated, I wouldn't mind having one if it were free but I wouldn't spend big money on one just to have it. I have a very nicely patterned scopas tang these days so I probably couldn't have a yellow anyways.

I also see nothing wrong with the original ad, the buyer should do their own due diligence for any fish that expensive anyways. I know I would.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Biota's Yellow Tang for $165 US is 1.25 inches. Personal opinion I don't think it matters one way or the other but having purchased several different fish from them, most recently a Milletseed Butterfly, I prefer the smaller.

It is important to note that it cost something to ship, acclimate, and feed fish. Overhead is a concept many of you in the hobby do not understand. If you own a business you understand. If you don't your education is lacking! Their prices seem very reasonable considering the cost of a retail operation these days. Though crowd here and another reason I left the aquarium industry after more than 25 years! Run a business before you criticize somebody who is just trying to survive in the aquarium business.

You raise a valid point. It can equally be said then that a higher cost in captive bred, or raised, animals are priced accordingly and justified. Sadly you and I both know that isn't always the case. Many here, and elsewhere, argue they should be equal to or cheaper than wild.

Two wrongs don't make a right of course but to also be fair the post title, and vendor selling, are both misleading. None of which has anything to do with the price. I am in the camp of small businesses as they are the back bone of the US economy. Ignoring that I'm also very biased and believe everything as it relates to fish and animals in this hobby should be captive bred or raised, or corals aquaculture, or shared between hobbyist with fish only being special ordered when not raised or bred in captivity. The nuclear option is crazy I know.

Hope you are doing well.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got both of you guys beat, in 1988 yellow tangs were $9.99 at Orange Coast Tropical Fish in Buena Park, California.

I think yellow tangs are overrated, I wouldn't mind having one if it were free but I wouldn't spend big money on one just to have it. I have a very nicely patterned scopas tang these days so I probably couldn't have a yellow anyways.

I also see nothing wrong with the original ad, the buyer should do their own due diligence for any fish that expensive anyways. I know I would.
me too, I have a 40$ scopas right now that has great colors and lines and is more interesting than a 300$ yellow all day long, unfortunately he is picture shy and never let's me get a good picture of him!

Attachments

• 20230902_214203.jpg
    20230902_214203.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 50

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back