True or False: You need at least 1lb of live rock per gallon in a saltwater aquarium.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I ordered 15 lbs of Base rock since we only have about 18 lbs of Live rocks on our 29g with Ocellaries, Cardinal, Lawnmower blenny and few CUC. I am hoping to reduce the Nitrates for adding more Rocks. The readings are about 5-10ppm with every two weeks w/c, no skimmer and with HOB Aquaclear 70. Planning to add Corals soon- LPS and Softies.

Arnie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I ordered 15 lbs of Base rock since we only have about 18 lbs of Live rocks on our 29g with Ocellaries, Cardinal, Lawnmower blenny and few CUC. I am hoping to reduce the Nitrates for adding more Rocks. The readings are about 5-10ppm with every two weeks w/c, no skimmer and with HOB Aquaclear 70. Planning to add Corals soon- LPS and Softies.

its good that youre adding more rock. i do suggest getting a skimmer even a hob refugium.... or a small sump setup... just a suggestion

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True or False: You need at least 1lb of live rock per gallon in a saltwater aquarium.

Fiji_Live_Rock_1-1.jpg

completely false.

I have ran successful mixed reef tank with 0 pounds of live rock.

and it only takes one successful tank with no live rock to make this false.

my .02

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its good that youre adding more rock. i do suggest getting a skimmer even a hob refugium.... or a small sump setup... just a suggestion
forgot to mention, we have a breeder box w/ a size ball Chaeto that is thriving; Used to have a Aquatic life skimmer but would not turn on so I have to returned it but planning to get another hob skimmer.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%

Back