Trumpet in a coma/biologically dead

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can somebody please help out with hints on what should i do with these?
1) is it possible to revive them
2) what may be bugging them

water parameters are fine, hammers and frogspawns doing great, but the canes started dying after about a week (been with me for about 2 now).

I've been trying to change locations so they'd better adopt to light/flow, but so far this has had no effect at all.

Also been spot feeding them with a turkey baster and even a bottle, but thus far have not even seen their tentacles being retracted at night.

coral1.jpg

trumpet1.PNG

OP
OP
T

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it is, but that's the location i put them to today, before that they were next to a glass and a frogspawn, didn't help them anyhow.

since i've been trying different locations, i doubt it's because of the mushrooms or warfare overly.

any clue if that thing is still alive? to me it now seems that it's almost gone as the coral tissue has already been punctured by the skeleton and it won't eat or retract it's tenticles.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it will be very difficult for this coral to recover and thrive. When one says my water is fine one must ask a few questions. Where did the coral come from, how long was it in captivity and what was the water conditions it came from. They can be hard to settle in especially if they were improperly cared for in the beginning.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? I wouldn't feed them at this point. Damage to the tissue could be from moving them or possible pest in the tank. Have you gone "hunting" at night with the lights off, using a red light for pests?

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 large colonies of them and find them easy to grow under right conditions. Would be interested in your specific water parameters especially calcium. Don't look dead yet to me but definitely under duress

OP
OP
T

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it will be very difficult for this coral to recover and thrive. When one says my water is fine one must ask a few questions. Where did the coral come from, how long was it in captivity and what was the water conditions it came from. They can be hard to settle in especially if they were improperly cared for in the beginning.

u pretty much hit the bull's eye here - the tank i got it from was a transition tank with no flow and random semi-dead t5's, before that they were in a tank which was poorly managed so the owner told the service company to take them away (the service company had poor tank i mentioned).

basically they were very healthy looking when i took them, so no alarms at that stage.

When it comes to parasites in my tank, then that could be, i've seen bristleworms in my tank at night alright, never thought of it as a problem before as only had soft corals and they were always fine.

my lighting is 2x165w LED's which i currently run at about 40% to adjust the fauna.

OP
OP
T

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them? I wouldn't feed them at this point. Damage to the tissue could be from moving them or possible pest in the tank. Have you gone "hunting" at night with the lights off, using a red light for pests?

what should i exactly be looking for?
i've noticed this thing getting brown stuff on it after i fed it, but since i fed them brine, thought it was the stuck food and just blew it away with a turkey baster.

had them for about 3 weeks now altogether.

OP
OP
T

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 large colonies of them and find them easy to grow under right conditions. Would be interested in your specific water parameters especially calcium. Don't look dead yet to me but definitely under duress

well i add calcium on weekly basis and change water constantly, so i doubt it's calcium, but gotta say i'm very inexperienced with hard corals.

OP
OP
T

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But also important to mention that in that ugly transition tank, the frags looked good and thriving, they also did very well at my place for a few days, after that it all started degrading. Last week i haven't seen them bein opened at all.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what should i exactly be looking for?
i've noticed this thing getting brown stuff on it after i fed it, but since i fed them brine, thought it was the stuck food and just blew it away with a turkey baster.

had them for about 3 weeks now altogether.

Not bristle worms, they won't bother it. Eunice worm and the likes.

"Brown stuff" could be expelling zooxanthellae.

OP
OP
T

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i very hardly doubt i have eunice worms as almost all my corals are soft and 3 months ago i had nothing but soft coral in the tank. I've never seen anything weird as if somebody had been chewing on them.

Also seen a few bristles here and there over times, also at night while flashing the bottom and rockwork, but i mean this specific happening with trumpet is weird and drastic.

Anyhow, i would ask you guys for possible hotlist of actions to be taken from where i am now, even though i may have to kiss goodbye that coral already.

1) should i move it to a specific place - less/more light & less/more flow
2) as i understand i shouldn't bug or try to feed it at this stage
3) should i maybe QT it and put in a separate box/move close to the top of the tank?
4) anything else i should do now to try to revive?

OP
OP
T

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, will test all parameters tomorrow as it's quite late here in eastern europe and throw it all at you asap

OP
OP
T

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some surprises in the water parameters after all:

PH - 8,05 (seachem and tropic marine)
Alk - 3 Mel/L (seachem)
PO4 - 0,1 (JBL)
No2 <= 0,1 (basically undetectable) (salifert)
No3 = couldn't test as salifert showed something very weird, need a second one to understand it properly
Ammonia =0,01 - 0,05 mg/l (hard to say for sure, tropic marine)
Mg - 900
Ca - 390

What i will do for now is take back that trumpet to the transition tank it came from and hope that it will wake up. Meanwhile will try to dose Mg to level of 1100-1200.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to follow up on the thread:

moved the trumpet back to the transition tank and voila, it's doing really good there and growing steadily.

But the problem is that at some point i will have to try to put it back to my tank and hence i still need insight on what to fix-change.

I've increased magnesium to around 1250 with Randy's recipe, ran some anti foss (down to 0,05) and added an algae scrubber that's really slow to take off.

With the addition of Mg, Ca and other trace elements my Ph went up to 8,3 and has been very steady since then. Pretty sure though that the biggest addition to the elevation of the Ph was actually the change of the lighting schedule in the fuge as i switched them to opposite of the display as Triton suggests.

Added trace elements and Ca with the help of tropic marine's 3 part essentials. Also added probiotics to help bacteria grow faster.

Anything else i'm missing? Should i try to re-introduce the trumpet at some point?
Could the stream 3 pumps been the culprits? too much/too little light?

Any suggestions #ReefSquad ?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to follow up on the thread:

moved the trumpet back to the transition tank and voila, it's doing really good there and growing steadily.

But the problem is that at some point i will have to try to put it back to my tank and hence i still need insight on what to fix-change.

I've increased magnesium to around 1250 with Randy's recipe, ran some anti foss (down to 0,05) and added an algae scrubber that's really slow to take off.

With the addition of Mg, Ca and other trace elements my Ph went up to 8,3 and has been very steady since then. Pretty sure though that the biggest addition to the elevation of the Ph was actually the change of the lighting schedule in the fuge as i switched them to opposite of the display as Triton suggests.

Added trace elements and Ca with the help of tropic marine's 3 part essentials. Also added probiotics to help bacteria grow faster.

Anything else i'm missing? Should i try to re-introduce the trumpet at some point?
Could the stream 3 pumps been the culprits? too much/too little light?

Any suggestions #ReefSquad ?
If the only difference between the tanks is the light and the flow, then it's got to be one of those. What is the lighting difference and flow difference between the two?

OP
OP
T

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i got 2x165w LED's on my display, run them at around 50% at this stage, been around 2-3 months since i got them, so just adapting everything slowly.

The flow i got 2x tunze turbelle 3, run them at full torque as i've been having problems with cyano and thus thought the flow above the sandbed had been not adequate.

Whereas the transition tank and the tank they came from: 1) no flow (overflow and that's it) 2) no light ( dead old T5 tube)

OP
OP
T

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C8ABD32B-26D0-4824-93EF-880EED7765D7.jpeg

Just to follow up on the topic - these are my canes now in the transition tank i got them from. No flow there, just the overflow, also a pair of t5’s for lights, a blue and a white.

So could it be that the problem is in the flow and too intense light at my place?

0196E57A-9F1D-423A-905E-E0EC9F46D702.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back