Trying oysters in reef tank

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been several threads about putting oysters in reef tanks. I decided to give it a try.

I bought a couple dozen oysters from a local oyster farm. These are Pacific oysters (Crassostrea gigas). The ones I put in the tank were sold as extra small but they're all at least 2".

Most have opened up at some point in the last 18 hours or so though some have not. I'm keeping a close eye on them so they don't nuke the tank if one doesn't make it.

I also have a small California mussel that I collected almost a month ago, it is open but we'll see how it fares long-term.

0108221303.jpg

0108221303a.jpg

OP
OP
Ghost25

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these for you to eat or just to fill your aquarium :)

Haha, I ate about 16 and what is in the tank is what was leftover. I plan to keep them alive as long as possible.

I have lots of feather dusters and a few small mussel hitchhikers so my tank is at least somewhat hospitable to filter feeders. I thought it would be cool if they could clean my water. The plan is to observe them on the sandbed for a while and put the ones that survive in the sump. I may need to get rid of a few regardless as 8 oysters this size may need more water volume.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back