Trying oysters in reef tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ghost25
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ghost25

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2018
Messages
408
Reaction score
474
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been several threads about putting oysters in reef tanks. I decided to give it a try.

I bought a couple dozen oysters from a local oyster farm. These are Pacific oysters (Crassostrea gigas). The ones I put in the tank were sold as extra small but they're all at least 2".

Most have opened up at some point in the last 18 hours or so though some have not. I'm keeping a close eye on them so they don't nuke the tank if one doesn't make it.

I also have a small California mussel that I collected almost a month ago, it is open but we'll see how it fares long-term.

0108221303.jpg


0108221303a.jpg
 
Are these for you to eat or just to fill your aquarium :)

Haha, I ate about 16 and what is in the tank is what was leftover. I plan to keep them alive as long as possible.

I have lots of feather dusters and a few small mussel hitchhikers so my tank is at least somewhat hospitable to filter feeders. I thought it would be cool if they could clean my water. The plan is to observe them on the sandbed for a while and put the ones that survive in the sump. I may need to get rid of a few regardless as 8 oysters this size may need more water volume.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new