Trying to find the name for something to go in drywall

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have to cut a hole in the drywall near my tank to run lines through to the utility room behind it. My wife refuses to let me do this unless I have something to make it look nice. I know there's a part out there made of plastic that you just set into the hole - it has a nice lip on the edges to look clean. Anyone know what this is called?

Tsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two thought come to mind. First a plastic bulk head. The second is the plastic grommet used in like a computer desk for electrical to go through. Lowes and Home Depot typically carry the second in the large bens with drawers on the hardware aisle.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two thought come to mind. First a plastic bulk head. The second is the plastic grommet used in like a computer desk for electrical to go through. Lowes and Home Depot typically carry the second in the large bens with drawers on the hardware aisle.
I think its called a forget it lol

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensions and define nice?

There’s flanges that you see around pipes for thins like toilets and sinks where the pipe goes into the wall. There’s desk grommet as others have mentioned. There’s access panels.

Are these pipes behind the tank and not actually visible or are they highly visible? Pics?

I think you’re better of strolling through one of the retails like HD or Lowe’s and just seeing what might work for you.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dependent upon the size of pipe, you could use an "old work" data box and put a "whisker" face plate on it. My wife HATES wire ties so I feel your pain. I'm an electrician so I think my cable and pipe routing work is clean and impressive. If it was me I'd probably just use a hole saw bit and hit it with a bead of caulk.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be a rectangular opening that is in the open. It's roughly 24" away from the tank. I've found a 10" ABS "grommet" that might work, but we'll have to see. Otherwise I'll have to go with a 6" grommet I found on Amazon.

Thanks everyone!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sorry for being sarcastic but I was serious about the fforgiveness part or half the things I have done would not be. So is this along the floor up the wall or what? Is the ultility wall finished? Can you open that wall up? Would a receptacle make her happy? My wife would not be. So if it is along the floor you can remove the trim on the good wall cut the drywall up enough to run your 24 inches then drill a hole in the trim behind the tank. Or if you are handy enough run to a stud, go up the wall and install a 4 plug receptacle you will need it, and more then patch with proper compound you will never see. If its up the wall nothing will look good, but they do make a channel you can put over the wire. You still need a receptacle. More info would be nice for every one to help

twwety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need a wall pass thru options are endless. I've used the circular ones with rubber flanges that you pass the wire thru, works well and cutting a circular hole with a hole saw was quicker and easier then cutting out a rectangle.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whiskers box is a pretty good idea. I had forgotten about those.

However, how is she concerned about what the hole in the wall looks and not concerned about 2’ of actual pipe?

You can’t go through the wall directly behind the tank?

Abarge16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought drywall inserts were colled mollies. Im using a washing machine insert to connect my basement sump

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gang plate would work. They make several kinds.
Wi4You Brush Wall Plate 6 Pack 1 Gang Cable Wall Plate with Decorative Insert for HDTV Home Theater Power Cable and Low Voltage Wires Pass Through White

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sorry for being sarcastic but I was serious about the fforgiveness part or half the things I have done would not be. So is this along the floor up the wall or what? Is the ultility wall finished? Can you open that wall up? Would a receptacle make her happy? My wife would not be. So if it is along the floor you can remove the trim on the good wall cut the drywall up enough to run your 24 inches then drill a hole in the trim behind the tank. Or if you are handy enough run to a stud, go up the wall and install a 4 plug receptacle you will need it, and more then patch with proper compound you will never see. If its up the wall nothing will look good, but they do make a channel you can put over the wire. You still need a receptacle. More info would be nice for every one to help

It's the other side of the utility room where the furnace is. The wall is not load bearing, but I lack the skill (or the funds) to rip the wall out and do it all properly. It's a finished basement, so I have to keep it looking roughly like it is.

The wall in question is one of the weirder setups in the house. The previous owner was just... weird. Because of a weird french door that is 8" off the floor, there's 8" of 2x4 as a footer for the wall, so next to the floor is out without a ton of work.

Pics are below. I plan to put a 20 gallon tank between the existing DT and the doors and that will cover the hole in the wall nicely, but the wife still doesn't want cut drywall visible :D

Attachments

• IMG_20220510_180332823.jpg
    IMG_20220510_180332823.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220510_180315151.jpg
    IMG_20220510_180315151.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 32

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back