Trying to understand LED Reef lighting [Help Please]

Gilez007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understanding all the complexities of LED reef lighting can be a little overwhelming. I have recently setup a Red Sea 425+ it came with AI HD 25s (two of them). My goal is to sustain a LPS and SPS mixed reef with fish. The lights I have from AI come with a pretty robust app. I can adjust the light color, light time, etc. There are settings in the app for "all on". Why would you do that? Other than it looks pretty cool. :)

I am using the "easy setup" mode with some adjustments recommended on this forum by Ecotechmarine. Not sure I have a good ramp time. I do not understand how long the lights should be kept at differing intensities. I cannot figure out how to adjust the ramp time. I really have no idea if the lights are being used to their full efficiency. Some settings appear to be more visually appealing, but they may not be best for marine life.

Additionally, there appear to be many very popular new additions to the market from manufacturers like Orphek, Radion and the like. What would be the benefit of upgrading to these lights? Or why would you upgrade? I would like to utilize the most effective light setup possible to stimulate growth and maintain overall animal health. I am sure there is not an easy answer, but any feedback from the pros here would be greatly appreciated.

I am still reading in the forums, but was hoping to get a little more focused answers before making changes or adding new life. Many thanks in advance.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you much experience in the way of growing coral? Or is this a new venture? I only ask because if you’re a beginner, I would avoid upgrading, as most reef leds (while the appearance of the housing and the software may be varied from model to model) honestly function very similarly. You’ll set your blue and violet channels all pretty high, add in a touch of red and green to hit those particular wavelengths, and adjust up the whites to taste. It is helpful to rent or borrow a par meter to get your overall intensity setting dialed in appropriately. Radions, Orpheks, AI, reef breeders, ect all function on this same principle. You’re just looking at variation in spread and power levels.

Plus, if you’re new, your limiting factors you’ll be addressing in the way of tank parameter stability and managing biodiversity at a microscopic level will be FAR more impactful In making or breaking your coral health. Once all that is down, and the tank is over a year old, changing lights can offer nuanced differences. But until you perfect the chemistry side. It’ll be a struggle no matter what lights you use. No make or model will change that

If you are experienced at reefing but new to leds, well. The choice of upgrading is entirely up to you. Likely won’t see monumental differences in growth though.

OP
OP
G

Gilez007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your answer and time. I've had reefs off and on for over 30 years. Been out of it for about 7 years. Not sure how to get the best use of the ai hydra 26s I have now. They clearly have much more power than I'm using with the "easy set up" function. But not sure what or how to set them up in the app.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Radions and don't know anything about your set up but would suggest starting out at lower intensity with mainly blues and UV. Very little white. Modern LEDs are very powerful and can easily overwhelm corals. I run mine at 38% intensity now.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the newest generation Hydra from Aqua Illumination, so you definitely don't need to upgrade. If you're looking for some settings, on AI's website they have a Signature section where you can download templates. I like (and have used) the one for David Saxby.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the changes to products in the past five, or so, years is just diode arrangemnt, apps and other window dressing. Your lights are right up there with any currently released things, IMO, and most new releases are not upgrades most of the time.

I have nothing to add on how to use the light.

If you want to learn about actual light find The Facts of Light by Tullio Del Aquila from MACNA a few years back. It can get a bit dry, but he does not talk about specific light models or anything, but just light. It is worth an hour to set a baseline of knowledge.

As for "all on." Find therman's build thread or for-sale threads. He runs his LEDS at 100% on all channels. This is different than nearly everybody else, but he also has amazing results better than nearly anybody else too. I cannot believe that more do not copy him. :)

OP
OP
G

Gilez007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the newest generation Hydra from Aqua Illumination, so you definitely don't need to upgrade. If you're looking for some settings, on AI's website they have a Signature section where you can download templates. I like (and have used) the one for David Saxby.
I also downloaded and applied the Saxby template, but it comes on kinda late and stays on really late. Do you know how to change the time this template starts and ends?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also downloaded and applied the Saxby template, but it comes on kinda late and stays on really late. Do you know how to change the time this template starts and ends?
I think you can import into a spreadsheet, change all the times then re-export as a template again.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use 2 fingers in the app to slide the whole schedule left/right (to change start/end times), and you can also use 2 fingers to slide the whole thing up/down to change the overall intensity.

I'd suggest starting with something like the BRS recommended AB+ settings for the Hydra 26HD. Use a 1 hour ramp up, 10 hours full, then a 1 hour ramp down. That's a SUPER simple schedule, and it'll grow coral.

BRS has also done some great videos on that light that talk about mounting height, spacing between lights, etc. And, yes. It all matters.

Once you get all of that dialed in, you'll need to rent/borrow a PAR meter so you can set the overall intensity to match the needs of the coral you plan to grow.

OP
OP
G

Gilez007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use 2 fingers in the app to slide the whole schedule left/right (to change start/end times), and you can also use 2 fingers to slide the whole thing up/down to change the overall intensity.

I'd suggest starting with something like the BRS recommended AB+ settings for the Hydra 26HD. Use a 1 hour ramp up, 10 hours full, then a 1 hour ramp down. That's a SUPER simple schedule, and it'll grow coral.

BRS has also done some great videos on that light that talk about mounting height, spacing between lights, etc. And, yes. It all matters.

Once you get all of that dialed in, you'll need to rent/borrow a PAR meter so you can set the overall intensity to match the needs of the coral you plan to grow.
This is very helpful thanks!!! What is AB+ settings (I keep hearing that)? I did watch the BRS videos. A great deal of PAR reading analysis. Where do you rent PAR meters?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very helpful thanks!!! What is AB+ settings (I keep hearing that)? I did watch the BRS videos. A great deal of PAR reading analysis. Where do you rent PAR meters?
The BRS recommended (AB+ emulation) settings for the Hydra 26HD are:

1638382843877.png

That would be considered the "max" AB+ setting. You can do a simple schedule for 1 hour ramp up to these settings, on for 10 hours, then 1 hour ramping down to 0. Then, when you get a PAR meter, you can slide the whole thing up and down to hit your PAR goals.

Also, you can adjust the white level up or down to your preference.

BRS rents PAR meters. You actually "buy" a "wet tested" (used) PAR meter, then you can "return" it when you're done for a refund, minus a "restocking fee" (the fee is the same as the old rental fee).

Also, check around in local reef Facebook groups to see if someone has one you can borrow or rent. An LFS local to me actually has a rental as well. They are IMPERATIVE to getting your lights dialed in for your tank, though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back