Trying to understand stocking list/order

shutupfry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here. I’ve been reading as much as I can but I’m still having trouble understanding how to create a plan to stock my Red Sea reefer 350. I don’t understand how to know how many fish is too many. Is there a good how to guide I haven’t found?

Here’s what I’m working on so far. There will be coral, not sure what. That’s a later problem right now. I’m trying to find fish I like that take care of a pest or problem.

High priority:
Tomini tang
Clown pair
Flame angel
Diamond goby
Bicolor blenny (sounds like this is a problem with the goby?)
I probably should get some kind of wrasse

Medium priority:
Royal gramma
Mandarin
Purple fire fish

For inverts I’d like to avoid snails if possible. I just don’t care for them. Crabs, shrimp, and hermit crabs are neat. Starfish seem like a bad idea and brittle stars look creepy.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, a lot of reading will answer all your questions. Read about the fish you want, what tank size is best, what rockwork is best, what tank mates are best.... Google the question "can I mix this fish with that fish?" "Is this fish aggressive?" etc....

You read about each fish, and slowly you will cross fish off your list. And add new ones.

Its a puzzle that you slowly put together. Thats why its so fun and so rewarding in the end.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from the mandarin for at least a year or 2 till that tank matures otherwise it will starve to death. And you’re gonna have to have snails. They are an essential part of the clean up crew.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back