Tube Anenome Bailout

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, I'm wondering if anybody has any insight to this. Couldn't find anything in the search so checking in here. Over the last six weeks I've had two tube anenome bail out of their mucus cocoon, move over a bit, and start rebuilding the cocoon immediately.

Does anybody have any insight on this?

The pink tube on the far right side as of last night inhabited the empty mucus seen in the center frame. Last month a salmon colored tube on the backside of this island bailed out from exactly where this one ended up. Everybody has been eating well, is normally fully extended.
PXL_20210413_180114814.MP.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, I'm wondering if anybody has any insight to this. Couldn't find anything in the search so checking in here. Over the last six weeks I've had two tube anenome bail out of their mucus cocoon, move over a bit, and start rebuilding the cocoon immediately.

Does anybody have any insight on this?

The pink tube on the far right side as of last night inhabited the empty mucus seen in the center frame. Last month a salmon colored tube on the backside of this island bailed out from exactly where this one ended up. Everybody has been eating well, is normally fully extended.
PXL_20210413_180114814.MP.jpg
Never seen this before. @Eagle_Steve any experience with this type of situation?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them do it before with no issues, as long as they start to rebuild the tube. I can only speculate about why they do it. Either tube damage or growing to big for the tube, is all I could think of when the ones I had did it.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them do it before with no issues, as long as they start to rebuild the tube. I can only speculate about why they do it. Either tube damage or growing to big for the tube, is all I could think of when the ones I had did it.
Thanks Steve. I thought it was pretty strange, but neither were acting strange before or after moving. There were no physical changes to appearance. I just couldn't find anything about it. Possible causes and such.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Steve. I thought it was pretty strange, but neither were acting strange before or after moving. There were no physical changes to appearance. I just couldn't find anything about it. Possible causes and such.
Same boat I was in. I had an order of about a 100 of them a while back and 30 or so did it. Not a single one died. They all rebuilt tubes and are still doing fine at their forever homes.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen a few times with Ursula. I just assumed it was because she was growing. That thing got to be a huge, fish chugging beast. She eventually got put into jail with a red hairy leg crab. Never again.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen a few times with Ursula. I just assumed it was because she was growing. That thing got to be a huge, fish chugging beast. She eventually got put into jail with a red hairy leg crab. Never again.
Oi. That's no good. Mine just ate one of the two new cleaner shrimp last night. I suppose it was their fault for setting up the cleaning station directly above the tubes

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oi. That's no good. Mine just ate one of the two new cleaner shrimp last night. I suppose it was their fault for setting up the cleaning station directly above the tubes
Oh, don't blame the victim. LOL I used to watch Ursula at night... it was terrifying. At one point, she could extend her tentacles half the distance of my tank. (It's a 48" tank.) Nothing was safe with her in there. By far, hardwired apex predator.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tube anemone did this twice within the first month or so after I moved the tank. Now, it has been in the same tube and location for about 5 months.

I removed the old tubes after reading that they may contain stinging cells that can sting even after the anemone moves to another tube. I'm no expert, but I did not want to take a risk. The first tube was quite long (~10 inches) for a relatively small anemone (2-3 inches).

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, don't blame the victim. LOL I used to watch Ursula at night... it was terrifying. At one point, she could extend her tentacles half the distance of my tank. (It's a 48" tank.) Nothing was safe with her in there. By far, hardwired apex predator.
Do you happen to have a picture of this ursela? She sounds delightful :cool:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a picture of this ursela? She sounds delightful :cool:
I will look and see. I used to have some cool ones from when I put her in time out in a nano. I had some awesome lighting in there that made her look like an alien.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back