Tunze 6105 thoughts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using this 6105 and 6040 combo for almost 2 months now. My tank is 4' x 2' x 20", with center ghost overflow. One return on the top right corner, with an overpower DC return pump with 2 random flow generator to put around 700 to 800 GPH in combine from the return.

Previously I was using a pair of Apex WAV. Since I upgrade to GHL I changed all my powerhead. Initially I was debating to get 6055/6095 at the moment, but saw some suggestion about 6105 and I pulled the trigger for 1x 6105 and 1x 6040.

I place 6040 at right back corner close to bottom, using the deflector pointing the flow to left side of the tank. It has a small form factor and it is not causing any problem hitting 100% intensity. I placed it this way to try to get rid of the detritus on back of my rock.

As for 6105 I used the narrow configuration and mount the head at back panel close to left side and about 1/3 height from the surface. I pointed it toward the front panel about 1/2 to 2/3 away from the left side. I couldn't find the ideal position using this setup. My intensity never pass 5%. This 5% already blow my sand all over the places. If I crank it more, the water will spill out. I was super upset about the powerhead and was planning to sold it and get two 6095/6055 instead.

Today I just switched to the wide configuration for 6105 and it is now on the left side panel close to back and 1/3 way down from water surface, pointing it diagonal across the long side of the tank. Much better. By using this setup I can hit the intensity to 50% and the flow is more diffused. I create a standing wave of 0.74 second period with intensity from 1% to 50%. I also changed the 1 to 10 V in ProfiLux to 3 to 8V.

Why I didn't try the wide output earlier???

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze is the Best!
Keep playing and you will discover many cool things with the combo you have and never underestimate the 6040

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may add an extra 6040 to the current setup. Right now I have my 6040 blowing the 4' direction along the back panel. It is a little bit under power. I probably need another one on the back wall close to the side blowing along the 2' side direction. I may also add another 6095 or 6105 on the right side to complete the true standing wave. Maybe..

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 6150 stream 3 and 2 9040 wow better than any gyro
check it out
put vertical on the 2' wall with the 90 degree is un believable wave and under current the 9040's in the back corners bottom blowing toward center keeps my sand bed all through the tank and around rocks totally clean without blowing sand like a snow globe

Last edited:
OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 6105 stream 3 and 2 9040 wow better than any gyro
check it out
put vertical on the 2' wall with the 90 degree is un believable wave and under current the 9040's in the back corners bottom blowing toward center keeps my sand bed all through the tank and around rocks totally clean without blowing sand like a snow globe

Do you mean 6150 stream 3? Or is the combo as 6105, stream 3, 2x 6040?

I am wondering how do you place your powerhead? Any picture to share? My rock sits back and low, so my 6040 on the back corner bottom can only blow along the back wall direction. I can change them to blow the 2' side direction but haven't tried yet. I was also thinking of using the deflector to hit the back wall, but then the flow distance will be too short with no angle shown and the flow may be too chaotic after hitting the back.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check it out

What is a 9040?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! Yes, the wide flow is about a 5ft by 30" pattern, the narrow is 7ft by 2ft so for a shorter tank the wide flow is definitely the way to go. Typically the narrow flow is only used when the long reach and high velocity flow is needed.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check it out

By chance do you have any video showing all that flow? I'd like to see it. I need more flow in my tank and I'm trying to figure out if its possible to get great flow for SPS while keeping all the sand covering the tank bottom. It seems like an impossible task even with 3mm grain sand.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes with narrow and wide flow outlet which you can interchange as you wish. They put the narrow one on the body with the wide one aside. You can switch it before you put them into water.

Awesome! I was reading an old article from 2011 about switching out the 6205 covers with a 6105 pump for improved wide flow and wondered about that. Glad they are included. Appreciate it!

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! Yes, the wide flow is about a 5ft by 30" pattern, the narrow is 7ft by 2ft so for a shorter tank the wide flow is definitely the way to go. Typically the narrow flow is only used when the long reach and high velocity flow is needed.

I used the narrow flow for several weeks and found out some of my coral starts to have their skin peeled. I aimed the narrow flow to front glass want to have a chaotic bounce of flow but I think it was just too much...

Wider setup seems more diffused and has less flow velocity. I have one acro on the path of the wide flow about 2/3 from powerhead (not directly aimed), and at the end I have a huge colony of lobo. (diagonal of 2'x4'=4.4')
I just cranked down the intensity to 35% and using a standing wave from 2% to 35% of 0.74 second for the day time. At night I switched it back to 2% steady output till the lights up. Hope this will be not too much for my coral.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By chance do you have any video showing all that flow? I'd like to see it. I need more flow in my tank and I'm trying to figure out if its possible to get great flow for SPS while keeping all the sand covering the tank bottom. It seems like an impossible task even with 3mm grain sand.
don't have one yet but will get you one as quick as possible

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko Hi Roger, another question. If I want to add another powerhead for my current setup (1x 6105 wide config on top left corner aiming diagonally of 4'x2', 1x 6040 at bottom right corner with deflector aiming along the 4' back wall towards left), which one do you think is appropriate?

6105?
stream 3 6150?

I have a huge sand digging wrasse so stream 3 with placement horizontally near bottom at the back wall is a nono. Thus this will also limit me on hiding the huge stream 3 behind the rock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back