Tunze Algea Reactor 3181

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all props for this reactor, it works great, the algae are growing great and my tank has never looked better.

I do have 1 point that can be improved: the pump. Or better the placement of the pump intake. Because the pump intake is on the bottom it is very hard to properly place the pump on the bottom of the sump especially with the outtake pointing up. It would be great if the pump came with an sort of intake basket that functions also as a stand for the pump

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't disagree. The reality is when we design a product or have a product concept, we generally try to work with what we call our "existing legos" if a product needs a "new lego" it will have to be such a huge success that molds typically costing $20-100K can be justified and offset within a couple years and that is difficult with such a product. The pump is essentially an amalgam of the 9012DC skimmer pump/ 2000 Comline Pump slightly modified for this use and we fundamentally needed a pump that offered a fairly high volume of flow at low pressure and was adjustable, it is simply working with what we have, this is such a niche product that the volume is just not there to cover a mold. We could feasibly 3D print such a part and it may happen in time that a product that is higher volume needs such a part and a mold could be justified then.

OP
OP
richarddeweerd

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't disagree. The reality is when we design a product or have a product concept, we generally try to work with what we call our "existing legos" if a product needs a "new lego" it will have to be such a huge success that molds typically costing $20-100K can be justified and offset within a couple years and that is difficult with such a product. The pump is essentially an amalgam of the 9012DC skimmer pump/ 2000 Comline Pump slightly modified for this use and we fundamentally needed a pump that offered a fairly high volume of flow at low pressure and was adjustable, it is simply working with what we have, this is such a niche product that the volume is just not there to cover a mold. We could feasibly 3D print such a part and it may happen in time that a product that is higher volume needs such a part and a mold could be justified then.
I understand that all, but the norm for most pumps is that the intake is on the side if the out take points up and if you make promotional images like the one below, that is not directly clear. Or better for most people it is not clear at all. There are already 2 3D printed parts in the box for a couple of bucks more you could make a decent solution for the pump too.
3181.000#01.jpg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very nice solution.

Unfortunately, we are severely behind right now, we lost over 2 months of production and simply cannot work in a new part right now. The 3D printers run almost continuously printing the parts we already use, when we catch up, it could be feasible to find a better solution.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back