Tunze Magnet Strong + Scratching Glass!

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so mad! I have the Tunze Care Magnet Strong+ 0222.025 and it’s been scratching the outside of the glass on the last 2 cleanings on my xxl 750. I first noticed a few scratches on my last cleaning, one on the front of the glass. This time I was super careful and kept wiping the dry side with my had to make sure there was nothing caught in there. Then I heard a noise on the last side and once again, another scratch!! Again didn’t feel anything with my hand and the rest of the side glass cleaned fine.

Anyone out there have this issue with the Tunze? Any idea what’s happening? I paid over $100 for this thing so I’m hesitant to just throw it in the trash (and folks report scratches with a lot of other thick glass scrapers). I mean there’s no sand on the outside of the glass and it’s so intermittent. I’ll get a scrape and then the rest of the panel goes fine. I’m very careful to move in straight lines, etc.

Also, anyone have a good guide to removing scratches safely? I definitely don’t want to make it worse, this tank has been frustrating enough.

BB010E32-F0F3-4271-A407-5ED00014593F.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so mad! I have the Tunze Care Magnet Strong+ 0222.025 and it’s been scratching the outside of the glass on the last 2 cleanings on my xxl 750. I first noticed a few scratches on my last cleaning, one on the front of the glass. This time I was super careful and kept wiping the dry side with my had to make sure there was nothing caught in there. Then I heard a noise on the last side and once again, another scratch!! Again didn’t feel anything with my hand and the rest of the side glass cleaned fine.

Anyone out there have this issue with the Tunze? Any idea what’s happening? I paid over $100 for this thing so I’m hesitant to just throw it in the trash (and folks report scratches with a lot of other thick glass scrapers). I mean there’s no sand on the outside of the glass and it’s so intermittent. I’ll get a scrape and then the rest of the panel goes fine. I’m very careful to move in straight lines, etc.

Also, anyone have a good guide to removing scratches safely? I definitely don’t want to make it worse, this tank has been frustrating enough.

BB010E32-F0F3-4271-A407-5ED00014593F.jpeg
Its advised to clean the outside of the glass before using any strong magnetic device.
Theres either something on your glass, or imbedded in the felt that you cant see or feel with normal friction pressure of your finger.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My philosophy: Don't use a magnet cleaner on any tank that you aren't willing to replace. You're asking for trouble. I learned the hard way a long time ago with a mag-float.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My philosophy: Don't use a magnet cleaner on any tank that you aren't willing to replace. You're asking for trouble. I learned the hard way a long time ago with a mag-float.
What do you prefer instead? My tank glass is 2’ tall and 59” off the ground. I can barely reach the bottom with my whole arm in up to my armpit.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my 18" Seachem, works great for 25 bucks.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you prefer instead? My tank glass is 2’ tall and 59” off the ground. I can barely reach the bottom with my whole arm in up to my armpit.
I use the flipper scraper that uses plastic gift cards or credit cards for the blade. I have a 24" high rank on a 36" high stand. No problem getting to the bottom with the 28" scraper.
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 6.13.16 PM.png

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze has cratched my inside glass, as Mag floats have. Not as bad though. I now trust no magnetic scraper.

For daily algae cleaning, I put a piece of kitchen green pad on top of my mag float and that‘s what I use. It won’t scratch anything.

When I need to get rid of hard algae and coralline, I use my Tunze but sparingly, only on the bottom of the glass and at the seam.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the flipper scraper that uses plastic gift cards or credit cards for the blade. I have a 24" high rank on a 36" high stand. No problem getting to the bottom with the 28" scraper.
Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 6.13.16 PM.png
I hated this when I first got it. But, man, I can clean my whole acrylic back wall in minutes. I'm a fan now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back