Tunze MAR Release date

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, any news on the release date of the Makro Algae Reactors?

I understand that he final models will have 2 LED lights with optimized algae growth spectrum correct? Also, will they be transparent like the first prototype or opaque?

To me it would be really important to have it opaque so that there is no light spill promoting algae growth in other parts of my sump.

Thanks!

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been emailing them about this. I was told they are now hoping to have the smaller unit available for purchase at the end of this month or beginning of February.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be opaque, to my knowledge they will come with one light 8831 and their is an optional spot to add a second one. From our testing the second light makes a marginal difference, the algae is spinning so it is not shadowed on one side. We saw a 35% increase in algae growth going from the white daylight 8821 to the 8831 grow light spectrum, but in both cases a second light increased growth less than 10%. For the smaller unit, all molds were finished before they closed for Christmas and production is set to begin next week so we do expect them soon. The larger model the parts will be machined rather than molded, so this will likely follow sometime in March as jigs and templates still need to be finished and this is a slower production process.

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW.. who knows how they come up with these ratings. I would think it is directly related to how much excess NO3 and PO4 your tank generates. This would dictate how fast the cheto would grow. Really the bottom line is, the quicker you fill the container, the sooner you have to remove cheto.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW.. who knows how they come up with these ratings. I would think it is directly related to how much excess NO3 and PO4 your tank generates. This would dictate how fast the cheto would grow. Really the bottom line is, the quicker you fill the container, the sooner you have to remove cheto.

This is true. I would always go with the largest I could fit. The only "risk would be for it to strip the water of nutrients but not sure that is a real concern and you could always light it up less hours. Having to open and remove chaetomorpha weekly from these things is likely going to be a bit of a pain (though the Tunze are likely better than all the competition given they do not have the light tube inside. On the competition models you always need to take them out of the sump to trim the algae because you will need as much clearance as the unit itself to pull out the light tube. So for a small 20" unit you would still need 40" of clearance in your cabinet which most of us do not have.

So size should be determined by your nutrient export needs and also how much of a pH increase you would like to see at night. I guess a small portion of chaetomorpha is not going to provide a huge benefit in pH department.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but everything is finalized and you can see the final production versions now on Tunze.com. They should launch in April and will have a DC pump, 8831 LED and magnetic closure lid.

Back