Tunze Osmolator ATO Optical Sensor Replacement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Tunze. I have been replumbing one my tanks today and some how I managed to rip my optical sensor cord completely in half. I need to order a replacement but can’t find a website in the USA to order from. Can someone help me? Thank you.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the sensor I am needing. 5017 controller is what I have.

Attachments

• 1C9D1A55-F35F-4B53-9E3F-6D2EAB0475FB.jpeg
    1C9D1A55-F35F-4B53-9E3F-6D2EAB0475FB.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 121

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do sell these sensors, but since a calibration is required when it is changed, they are only sold installed. The part is $29.49, the only other charge is shipping. If you send only part 5017.000, controller with sensors, no magnets or other parts, it greatly reduces shipping, controller only will fit safely in a small flat rate priority mail box and mail for $8.65 or can be sent first class mail for around $5. Include your contact and return info in the box.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin TX 78753

brentlee6969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @rvitko, I've had a problem since I bought mine where I have to wipe the sensor like every 2 days or it won't top off. Could this just be a sensor problem?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends, this can happen especially if you dose kalk or any calcium/buffer dosing near the sensor, it can also happen by a drain or a skimmer that is creating foam around the sensor. Otherwise, the most probable is calibration, but I would check that the sensor is installed properly and not near something that would coat it quickly, things to look for is that there is nothing below the sensor like a wire that a droplet of water can cling between the sensor and wire.

brentlee6969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends, this can happen especially if you dose kalk or any calcium/buffer dosing near the sensor, it can also happen by a drain or a skimmer that is creating foam around the sensor. Otherwise, the most probable is calibration, but I would check that the sensor is installed properly and not near something that would coat it quickly, things to look for is that there is nothing below the sensor like a wire that a droplet of water can cling between the sensor and wire.
I just completely broke it down cleaned it and changed its position about a week or 2 ago. It didn't change anything.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please send it for repair, I only need part 5017.000, controller with sensors, no magnets or other parts should be sent, they will only increase shipping costs. Include a note with return and contact info in the box-

Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Last edited:

brentlee6969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please send it for repair, I only need part 5017.000, controller with sensors, no magnets or other parts should be sent, they will only increase shipping costs. Include a note with return and contact info in the box-

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753
Will do buddy thanks.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753
I am sending one out to you today as well. Hopefully more sensors have come in.
Thanks for offering this info here!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, yes they arrived Friday. I will be out for MACNA Thursday-Monday but my employee will recieve it and if it is just the optic sensor/calibration, he knows how to do it, worst case, when I get back Tuesday I will get it done.

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably will send mine in too!

Recently it started acting up (after 5 years of flawless performance). It no longer starts the pump when water gets low :( restart the device and it will only do the first fill (which I heard was just a self-test kind of thing) and stop working afterwards...

I looked at the sensor but nothing seems to be on it? Soaked it in vinegar&water solution for overnight but didn't solve the issue.

So we basically need to send this whole thing as pictured here: https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/tunze-replacement-controller-5017-000.html? It's $29.49 + roundtrip shipping?

Thanks!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is $29.49 for the part installed, if you send only the controller US mail, you should be able to send it for around $5 and it will cost about the same to send it back.

tkaplan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one that also stopped working after several years. Cleaned, but no luck. Roger - do you want a check in the box, or can we pay you after you determine the cost of the repair?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will call after the repair is done for cc, it is easy to determine the repair cost, not so easy to determine the shipping. Just be sure to include your phone number in the box.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in both my ATO controller about a week ago.
Tunze USA reached out to me stated that both sensors needed to be replaced.
Thank you for the quick response and quick service

moodyad10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko I’m having a similar issue with my 3155 as well. About once a week the optical sensor will not shut it off at the right level and will fill till the float switch is engaged. I’ve been trying to figure out the rhyme and reason to when this happens but I’m coming up stumped. Is this a calibration issue or possible bad optical sensor?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really rare that a failing sensor causes overfilling, it is not impossible, but they generally are designed to not fill if the sensor fails. I would check these possibilities-

Attachments

• Overfills.pdf
    218.1 KB · Views: 120

moodyad10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome notes. I feel like siphon 3 seems to me my most likely culprit. I will play with my positioning a little and see if I can't remedy that siphon issue. Wondering if my best bet wouldn't be to just run my top off hose straight to the display. I sure do appreciate your help!

Walleye34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really rare that a failing sensor causes overfilling, it is not impossible, but they generally are designed to not fill if the sensor fails. I would check these possibilities-

I would like to send mine in also. I upgraded aquariums and had my ATO put away for a while, and it may have gotten banged up. it seems to be over a filling.I’d rather be safe than sorry. I send it to this address correct?
Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda, TX 78753

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back