Tunze Osmolator DIY repair?

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago my second Tunze osmolator broke...

So, now I have two Tunze Osmolator / Tunze Water Level Controller 5017 that, after a few years no longer can output the amperage to drive its pump. Anyone knows how to perform a DIY repair of these?

If I disconnect the pump a can still measure 12V on the pump output but it goes down if a put any load on the output, so its good except the pump drive circuit. I've also tested with a different pumps that are verified functional, so I know the problem is in the main unit. I guess its a common problem since both my units got the same problem...

Ps: I do have the knowledge and tools to swap out a faulty component, but I don´t have the time to reverse engineer the design to figure out where the main problem is.

Tunze-5017.jpg

bgoldb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago my second Tunze osmolator broke...

So, now I have two Tunze Osmolator / Tunze Water Level Controller 5017 that, after a few years no longer can output the amperage to drive its pump. Anyone knows how to perform a DIY repair of these?

If I disconnect the pump a can still measure 12V on the pump output but it goes down if a put any load on the output, so its good except the pump drive circuit. I've also tested with a different pumps that are verified functional, so I know the problem is in the main unit. I guess its a common problem since both my units got the same problem...

Ps: I do have the knowledge and tools to swap out a faulty component, but I don´t have the time to reverse engineer the design to figure out where the main problem is.

Tunze-5017.jpg

Call Tunze USA. The problem is likely with the ATO controller and they may swap yours with an updated one as they did with mine. I thought my pumps were going bad and it turned out to be the controller.

OP
OP
Pny

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Tunze USA. The problem is likely with the ATO controller and they may swap yours with an updated one as they did with mine. I thought my pumps were going bad and it turned out to be the controller.
I might be a bit to far away for that...

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have not used the tunze devices, I can tag along and advice if you do end up trying to fix the unit.
I’ll start with opening up the controller unit and see what electronics it has. Then methodically check each junction with multimeter or oscilloscope to detect where is the error. You may end up replacing one or few electronics components (may be a transistor has been fried etc). It think won’t be trivial, but it’s certainly doable
You can also repurpose the unit , i.e use the pump with a diy controller ,

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back