Tunze Pump Recommendation

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking at some controllable Tunze pump options for a build I'm doing. I'm striving to support SPS, but in all reality I'm sure some LPS will make it in there. The tank is going to be 60" x 30" x 20." I currently have two MP40s that will be going in the tank, but there is going to be an overlap when I am running both tanks so I need a wavemaker or two for the new tank until the old tank is consolidated with it. I've heard good things about Tunzes and I'm considering mixing it up rather than just throwing a bunch of MP40s on the tank.

Tunze users: what would you recommend for this size tank? I'm much less familiar with the Tunze model numbering system vs ecotechs. I am considering their wavebox and perhaps a Turbelle of some sort to start the tank, then eventually the MP40s will be added.

Wavebox 6208 seems like it would be adequate vs the 6214 (which has worse reviews). As to the Turbelle, 6055? 6095? 6105? 6255?

If you think Tunzes are a terrible idea and have another favorite I'd like to hear that feedback too. Let me know your thoughts!

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a fan of Tunzes or just a really big fan of the MP40s? They would be permanent unless I really don't like them then I could move them to the QT tank or the sump.

I kind of like the directional ability of the Tunzes plus it seems like they have a pretty loyal following so there must be something to them.

I've got the two MP40s on my 60 gallon tank and there are still some areas that detritus accumulates. However, I am realizing that I am not a fan of cube tanks, it's very difficult to get flow dialed in because you can't really generate a wave in a square tank.

Edit: I had planned to use the 2 Nero 3s I have, however, the first one broke (AI replaced it with a new in box one) then a few weeks later the second one broke. So now I'm thinking of selling the new in box one, tossing the other in the trash and saying goodbye permanently to AI for flow. I also like to spread my money around to different manufacturers because I think competition is good for us all.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely not a fan of Neros. I've had Tunzes and they're fine - just given a choice of permanent powerheads I'd be inclined to get more MPs. I agree that cubes are very challenging with respect to flow.

I actually don't have any Vortech powerheads - I use Red Sea ReefWave45 gyres in my tank (but many friends use and swear by their Vortechs).

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of like the directional ability of the Tunzes plus it seems like they have a pretty loyal following so there must be something to them.
I definitely don't want to change your mind, but if you're stuck on limited direction of the MP40s, there's a company that makes a nozzle the fits over the stock wetside that allows you to change direction of flow.

I got 4 of them for my MP60s and they definitely solve the problem of directional flow.

Oh, and it comes with 2 nozzle options, one mimics the flow pattern of the stock pump and the other shoots the flow across a long tank.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I definitely don't want to change your mind, but if you're stuck on limited direction of the MP40s, there's a company that makes a nozzle the fits over the stock wetside that allows you to change direction of flow.

I got 4 of them for my MP60s and they definitely solve the problem of directional flow.

Oh, and it comes with 2 nozzle options, one mimics the flow pattern of the stock pump and the other shoots the flow across a long tank.
Those are pretty cool! Thanks for sharing them.

How do you find the quality of them? I find a lot of 3D-printed products not quite up to my standard (newish technology and all).

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are pretty cool! Thanks for sharing them.

How do you find the quality of them? I find a lot of 3D-printed products not quite up to my standard (newish technology and all).
I think that a lot of people that get 3d printers aren't quite familiar with how to achieve quality prints. There is a learning curve.

Although there's no mistaking that these are from a printer, they are quality.

I get a lot of articles that pop up in my feed in the morning, and I don't think the manufacturing industry views 3d printing as just prototyping anymore. Companies have shifted their thinking about using 3d printing in a lot of their manufacturing process.

I don't have much concern that these are going to fail because they're 3d printed. Im pretty sure they'll last just as long and anything we put in our tanks... hehe

Here's an old photo of them from before they got wet.

20230729_204257.jpg

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run (2) 6905s and a Wavebox 6208 in my 60x30x22. The 6208 can create a wave that bounces off the eurobrace. It's insane. I also have (2) MP40's. I have the 6905s low in the tank toward the back moving water toward the front and top. I can honestly say with the 6208 and the 6095s, I don't need the MP40s. Though I am not a SPS dominated tank. I have been running Tunze pumps forever and find them superior to vortechs in every way except for when it's time to clean them.

For their size, 6905s move an astonishing amount of water.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the extra width, I'd say you could definitely do a set of Tunze 6105s and crank up or slow down however you see fit. I personally don't like or recommend Vortechs anymore. I feel they were worth the cost back when they were the "w es" version with the white controllers. For the price they demand nowadays, not worth it.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run (2) 6905s and a Wavebox 6208 in my 60x30x22. The 6208 can create a wave that bounces off the eurobrace. It's insane. I also have (2) MP40's. I have the 6905s low in the tank toward the back moving water toward the front and top. I can honestly say with the 6208 and the 6095s, I don't need the MP40s. Though I am not a SPS dominated tank. I have been running Tunze pumps forever and find them superior to vortechs in every way except for when it's time to clean them.

For their size, 6905s move an astonishing amount of water.
6095s would also be a great call too!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back