Tunze pumps for a 120g acro tank

nolaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48x24x24 acro dominated 120g tank. The rockscape was designed to provide water flow all around the scape and between the rocks and the overflow (see pics). I currently run a pair of MP40wQd which I have problems with blowing sand everywhere (see pics again). I have sold the pumps because I also want an unobstructed view of the sides of my tank. I also want to mount the pumps on the back glass and angle them. Tunze is the answer.

I ordered a pair of 6095 that are coming in today but now I'm second guessing that decision. Should I have went with the 6105? BRS is saying I made the right decision but I'm worried that I will need more flow once my acros grow out.

I have a friend with the same setup but he has a much bigger rockscape that is very stacked. He went with a pair of 6105 and says he should have went with the smaller 6095s and that he has to run his pumps at 30-50%.

Did I make the right decision, or should I have BRS issue an RMA and get a pair of 6105 sent out today?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48x24x24 acro dominated 120g tank. The rockscape was designed to provide water flow all around the scape and between the rocks and the overflow (see pics). I currently run a pair of MP40wQd which I have problems with blowing sand everywhere (see pics again). I have sold the pumps because I also want an unobstructed view of the sides of my tank. I also want to mount the pumps on the back glass and angle them. Tunze is the answer.

I ordered a pair of 6095 that are coming in today but now I'm second guessing that decision. Should I have went with the 6105? BRS is saying I made the right decision but I'm worried that I will need more flow once my acros grow out.

I have a friend with the same setup but he has a much bigger rockscape that is very stacked. He went with a pair of 6105 and says he should have went with the smaller 6095s and that he has to run his pumps at 30-50%.

Did I make the right decision, or should I have BRS issue an RMA and get a pair of 6105 sent out today?

I find the biggest problem with flow is keeping it from being too strong in place to put any coral yet still get reach out of the pumps for further rock structure. If anything, I would have considered going with an even smaller pump and if you needed more flow adding 2 more.

I run 2 MP40's on the ends of my 72"x18"x21" tank and to get any flow in the middle of the tank I can't have corals within 12" of the powerheads. I just purchased a nanostream 6020 to put on the back wall. I may pick up 1 more and dial way back on my MP40's.

Where I'm going with that is that I feel you are better off with more, smaller flow sources than 2 larger ones. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
nolaron

nolaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the biggest problem with flow is keeping it from being too strong in place to put any coral yet still get reach out of the pumps for further rock structure. If anything, I would have considered going with an even smaller pump and if you needed more flow adding 2 more.

I run 2 MP40's on the ends of my 72"x18"x21" tank and to get any flow in the middle of the tank I can't have corals within 12" of the powerheads. I just purchased a nanostream 6020 to put on the back wall. I may pick up 1 more and dial way back on my MP40's.

Where I'm going with that is that I feel you are better off with more, smaller flow sources than 2 larger ones. Just my opinion.

That is actually precisely what BRS suggested to me when I voiced concerns for needing more flow once corals grew in. They brought up issues with bigger pumps blowing sand around with bigger pumps as well. I guess I have an idea of how I could place the pumps in the event that i need more flow (bottom left and bottom right of each side of overflow). I am also trying to maintain the clean look of my tank with no background and not clutter the back glass with a bunch of pumps which would destroy the illustrion of depth created by the no background.

Thanks for the valuable input.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually precisely what BRS suggested to me when I voiced concerns for needing more flow once corals grew in. They brought up issues with bigger pumps blowing sand around with bigger pumps as well. I guess I have an idea of how I could place the pumps in the event that i need more flow (bottom left and bottom right of each side of overflow). I am also trying to maintain the clean look of my tank with no background and not clutter the back glass with a bunch of pumps which would destroy the illustrion of depth created by the no background.

Thanks for the valuable input.
I have many of the same concerns which is why I'm excited to get the 6020. Should be delivered today. I would really like to keep the pumps hidden behind my corals on the back wall. I'm hoping the unique design will allow me to point it right at an SPS from 4" away. This will let me keep it lower in the tank and obstructed from view. If this works, I may ditch the MP40's and go with 6 of the 6020's along the back wall. Of course, I only wish I had the 24" depth that you do!

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When corals grow in it's hard to find the right flow without hitting the corals.
I am finding that with wide flow pumps they will end up hitting corals more so than a narrow flow pump. I am finding that placing narrow flow pumps on the back and letting it hit the front of the tank is one of the best ways when corals start to fill in.
Narrow flow will have the least obstruction front to back. Once it hit the front glass it will disperse nicely. Kinda like the saying threading the needle. This is what you would be doing with a narrow flow.JMO

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add if you have a lot of open area then wide flow pumps are good.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same dimension tank and my 6055s reach clear across and stir up sand at the other end of the tank. I've turned them down to a max of 80% at peak.

Left:
Set 6055_35
If Time 06:00 to 10:00 Then 6055_UP
If Time 10:00 to 18:00 Then 6055_80
If Time 18:00 to 21:00 Then 6055_Dn
If Time 21:00 to 06:00 Then 6055_0
If FeedA 000 Then 6055_35
If FeedB 030 Then OFF

Right:
Set 6055_35
If Time 01:00 to 10:00 Then 6055_0
If Time 10:00 to 14:00 Then 6055_UP
If Time 14:00 to 22:00 Then 6055_80
If Time 22:00 to 01:00 Then 6055_Dn
If FeedA 000 Then 6055_35
If FeedB 030 Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 000 Then 6055_35

Pumps in the upper back corners pointed at an angle toward the opposite front corners.

Back