Tunze Skimmer making loud noise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jebernier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer is only 6 month old and it started making a loud clicking noise. I removed and cleaned everything but it's still making the noise? I've attached a video of the noise. I've followed instructions and cleaned and put back together multiple times but it is still making the loud noise?

Attachments

• IMG-3006.MOV
    11.7 MB
OP
OP
jebernier

jebernier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well, it;s making a loud clanking noise no matter what I do

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 9001 but it works fine. These pumps are not built to live more then a couple of years. You might have no choice but to buy a new one.

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh its only six months old you should talk to tunzzze to fix it. Do they have a warranty

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh its only six months old you should talk to tunzzze to fix it. Do they have a warranty
I have thos skimmer and it chatters at start up then is almost silent. You shouldn't run it put of the water. More ware in 30 second dry than 6 months submerged. Tunze will replace it but they wil argue first about how good the product is. Lol. Give them a call. Don't show the video running it dry to tunze.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dry run is of no value, I cannot get any useful info from the video. I assume it still does this installed in the skimmer or in water at least? Water is the lubricant and bearing in any aquarium pump, without water, they will be noisy.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thos skimmer and it chatters at start up then is almost silent. You shouldn't run it put of the water. More ware in 30 second dry than 6 months submerged. Tunze will replace it but they wil argue first about how good the product is. Lol. Give them a call. Don't show the video running it dry to tunze.
Argue and Tunze are two words I don't think I've ever heard in the same sentence before.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argue and Tunze are two words I don't think I've ever heard in the same sentence before.
I had a refugium light that leaked current. The gentleman from tunze told me this could not happen. I shipped him the light. It was tested and replaced with an apology. I've bought more tunze stuff since including the skimmer in question. Tunze stuff is great but that guy was pretty arrogant about the inability of tunze to make a mistake in our first conversation. Facts are facts. Any manufacturer of magnetic drive motors warns about running it dry. I just reread the book for this skimmer. I'm just saying everyone, even the best has a bad day. How many tunze skimmer do you have? Read the reviews for this one. Three out of five for a reason.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220110_115358.jpg

How about let's don't argue about tunze. One sentence. Both words. Lol have a good day!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be the "arrogant" person being discussed as I am the sole tech support for the US. I apologized to you because it was a difficult story to believe, a light that is 12V at 1 amp and still functions causing a perceptable shock is hard to imagine, but you were indeed correct. From where I sit, 75% of returns and complaints are self inflicted, water damage, failure to read instructions, no maintenance etc, we live in a world with unrealistic expectations of instant gratification and where more and more poeple have nearly zero mechanical ability and everything is viewed as disposable, support is very frustrating from this perspective. I know we build good products and we take every effort to improve them as we find flaws, we are a family owned company, and the family name is on the box and we don't take that lightly. I can only say on reviews, that if I followed reviews I would largely own junk, as saying something is good or bad within a few days/weeks of getting it is meaningless, mostly nowadays it means it was cheap and looked good and was easy. If you want the best, to me that means it lasts a long time, I can buy parts and get service, it will be more complicated, and it won't be cheap.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An AC 9001 pump should last at least a decade as long as it is never run seized or dry for an extended period or with a broken impeller This motor is only an electromagnetic coil with a safety thermostat and as long as it is maintained there is almost nothing that can fail. DC pumps should last 6-8 years as the circuitry will only last so long.
I run a 9001 but it works fine. These pumps are not built to live more then a couple of years. You might have no choice but to buy a new one.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be the "arrogant" person being discussed as I am the sole tech support for the US. I apologized to you because it was a difficult story to believe, a light that is 12V at 1 amp and still functions causing a perceptable shock is hard to imagine, but you were indeed correct. From where I sit, 75% of returns and complaints are self inflicted, water damage, failure to read instructions, no maintenance etc, we live in a world with unrealistic expectations of instant gratification and where more and more poeple have nearly zero mechanical ability and everything is viewed as disposable, support is very frustrating from this perspective. I know we build good products and we take every effort to improve them as we find flaws, we are a family owned company, and the family name is on the box and we don't take that lightly. I can only say on reviews, that if I followed reviews I would largely own junk, as saying something is good or bad within a few days/weeks of getting it is meaningless, mostly nowadays it means it was cheap and looked good and was easy. If you want the best, to me that means it lasts a long time, I can buy parts and get service, it will be more complicated, and it won't be cheap.
Like I said earlier, everyone has a bad day. I also said overall tunze is great stuff. Sorry for hitting a nerve. That was not my intention. I just relayed my experience. Fair enough? I hope I'll be allowed to buy tunze products in the future. You'll also note I said tunze would take care of him. I've also recommended your stuff to lots of people here and in the real world. My complaint a year ago was valid and properly addressed . Just not a great first impression. Never meant to hurt your feelings or talk down your product. Best of luck in the future.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back