Turbo Snails slowing and dying.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Benga
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I found turbo to slow and die if the temp gets too warm . Above 78 they seem to drop like flies unless they have been in the system for years. Now I have had same snails for more than 4 years now
 
when they die, they really pollute the tank...the shell stinks something nasty
 
Nothing worse smelling then a bag of dead turbo snails caused be a delay in shipping. You can smell them before you even open the box!
 
I found turbo to slow and die if the temp gets too warm . Above 78 they seem to drop like flies unless they have been in the system for years. Now I have had same snails for more than 4 years now

I found that with mine, they grow LARGE and then all seem to die around the same time. From when I bought them, they lay tons of eggs that spawn babies and the cycle continues. I also found that with higher temperatures (80-82 degrees), they actually would spawn more and seemed to thrive; maybe the higher temperatures resulted in more algae they could eat?

I think with large ones, there is a point where they are too large to fit and eat enough algae and then they starve unfortunately unless you have a very uncrowded tank or a tank where the LR is more flat surfaced. I have a ton of LR from Totaka LR when it was still legal to purchase which I find makes it VERY difficult for larger snails to eat as they will get stuck or be unable to fit between all the coral LR skeleton easily.
 
What are usually sold as turbo snails come from Mexico where water temps are cooler. They usually do not do well in a warmer reef tank and often die in the warmer summer months. Perhaps you getting a different species there.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new