Turbo Snails slowing and dying.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone actually use algae waffers for the purposes of feeding snails? Does it work? Im just wondering if my tangs would get to it first

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m addition to checking whether the snail is from temperate not tropical waters, also check your magnesium. High mag can cause snails to slow right down.

Could you confirm that they're Mexican Turbo Snails? Do you know if Salifert tests are good?
IMG_20180223_173841506.jpg IMG_20180223_173811230.jpg

I second checking your magnesium levels if you are supplementing that element. Especially if feeding algae does not work.

I put some nori in the sump where the snails are and it was gone in the morning so I think they may have been starving, but I definitely want to check mg levels. Do you know how much lfs usually charge for water tests?

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the Mg number that is considered too high for snails?

Good question, afaik the magnesium concentration should be around 3x your calcium concentration. But would love someone to confirm your question and my statement.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had high Mg levels bother snails, even when I took it to 6x the Ca level. I agree with those who say your tank is too clean for them to survive at this point, and with those who pointed out that they are the wrong species of snail for tropical temperatures.

Give your tank time to mature before adding snails back to the display. A few small hermit crabs will probably survive fine in a clean tank if you're feeding enough.
When you're ready for snails in the display (i.e., you have some natural alga growing on the glass and rockwork), find some trochus snails. They are long-lived and very hardy. A couple Nassarius snails can also be good for helping to keep the sand bed loose and clean. Just be sure there is food for them.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all snails sold in the trade are tropical. Mecixan Turbos for one actually fare much better at a cooler temperature. In my experience they never last long in a “warm” tank. But astreas and trochus do much better in warm tanks.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had high Mg levels bother snails, even when I took it to 6x the Ca level. I agree with those who say your tank is too clean for them to survive at this point, and with those who pointed out that they are the wrong species of snail for tropical temperatures.

Give your tank time to mature before adding snails back to the display. A few small hermit crabs will probably survive fine in a clean tank if you're feeding enough.
When you're ready for snails in the display (i.e., you have some natural alga growing on the glass and rockwork), find some trochus snails. They are long-lived and very hardy. A couple Nassarius snails can also be good for helping to keep the sand bed loose and clean. Just be sure there is food for them.

Lots of information thank you. I do have two trochus and they are indeed very lively little snails. The LFS suggested I get 5 turbos and 2 trochus but I perhaps should have mentioned how young my tank is. Nevertheless I learned and the survivors should live a good life from here on out.

I had always scraped away the algae on the glass but I suppose i should leave it be, maybe cleaning the front only will be best.
Could you recommend a good crab for this stage of my aquarium?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am inclined to think that you already resolved your issue by supplementing the feedings. It's my experience that Mexican turbos do poorly in the average reef because of the elevated temp, but that typically takes a couple weeks to months. Your tank was just too new and you've rectified that.
Magnesium level would not be of concern to me. You really have to have a high level, and I have seen levels of 1800 ppm with no ill effect.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had always scraped away the algae on the glass but I suppose i should leave it be, maybe cleaning the front only will be best.
Could you recommend a good crab for this stage of my aquarium?

I'd leave at least a small area of algae on the glass for the snails. Trochus do prefer cleaning the glass which is a little unfortunate, but if they're healthy they'll go where the food is.
I think most any small hermit crab your LFS has will be OK. Blue legs and Red legs are both generally benign, although all crabs will eat whatever they can catch or find in the sand bed, including critters that are generally considered beneficial. Get a few small empty shells (slightly larger than the shells they're in now) for when they need new homes and put them in the tank with them.

In a healthy, mature tank these animals can live a very long time. I have trochus snails nearing 10 years old, and a couple of blue leg hermit crabs that are more than 5 years old.

Reefer addickt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you could still be going through cycle, did you start with dry or live rock? maybe try to use a bio liquid (bacteria supplement) like seachem stability and try seed from aquavitro. you could even add matrix rocks or similar bio brick for more bacteria surface area!

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update for anyone looking back on it for advice.

Problem wasn't high magnesium for me, I got a test kit and my MG was at 900-1000ppm so i was wayyy under.
It was most likely food related issues. I added nori and moved them into the refugium where there was plenty of food. I move them up as needed.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update for anyone looking back on it for advice.

Problem wasn't high magnesium for me, I got a test kit and my MG was at 900-1000ppm so i was wayyy under.
It was most likely food related issues. I added nori and moved them into the refugium where there was plenty of food. I move them up as needed.

I've had difficulty keeping snails as well.

How're yours doing now?

Tony

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had difficulty keeping snails as well.

How're yours doing now?

Tony

4/5 died. I would attribute it to hunger and me not catching it in time. One died from getting itself stuck. The last is thriving pretty well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back