Turbo Snails slowing and dying.

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a turbo snail on the sandbed that hadn't been moving much at all for a few days, maybe a few inches a day and so I decided to take it out and put it in the refugium and a few days later i noticed it hadn't moved at all and was dead (horrid smell when i took it out).

I'm noticing two other turbo snails slowing down in a similar fashion and now i'm worrying all my snails are slowly going to die this month. The two slow ones now look like they have their foot out or half out at least.

It's a 40B with:
~Royal Gramma
~Bengaii Cardinal
~Lawnmower Blenny
~5 Turbo Snails
~2 Astrea snails

I do weekly water changes of 10% doing one today.
I just did a parameter test and took out the dead snail yesterday:
~Phosphate: 0.25-0.5ppm
~Nitrate: 0ppm
~Nitrite: 0ppm
~Ammonia: 0.25ppm
~dKH: 9
~pH: 8.2

IMG_20180220_161934556.jpg

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might be starving.

Throw in some algae wafers

Algae wafers nice I was looking into them too for the blenny.

Snails don’t like Ammonia. Why do you have any?

I think the ammonia might be from the dead snail that i just pulled out, I did the test the day after i pulled it out. It may have been decaying in there for a day or two before I got to it.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and what ammonia test kit do you use? Your tank looks very clean/new. In a cycled tank, you wouldn't expect an ammonia spike and no nitrates after a dead snail you removed. They do fall off if they're sick/starving or poisoned, sometimes they don't tolerate high nitrates either.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if it's normal for turbo snails to occasionally fall off the glass? At least once a day i have to flip a snail over.
No. I’ve never had a healthy turbo not right itself.

I do disagree with the high nitrates and snails. Or I’d never have snails. Lol.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and what ammonia test kit do you use? Your tank looks very clean/new. In a cycled tank, you wouldn't expect an ammonia spike and no nitrates after a dead snail you removed. They do fall off if they're sick/starving or poisoned, sometimes they don't tolerate high nitrates either.

Only about 3-4 Months old. I use the API test kit. I see I thought death would spike ammonia up, could it be that it's too soon for nitrates to go up. I thought it takes a few days to a week for ammonia to convert over into nitrates?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes api will give an error.
It’s almost always .25 error.

Prime and a couple other things may do that.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I’ve never had a healthy turbo not right itself.

I do disagree with the high nitrates and snails. Or I’d never have snails. Lol.

Haha, yeah it's hard to believe in my tank as well but some studies indicate high nitrates impact their reproductive system as well as movement.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if it's normal for turbo snails to occasionally fall off the glass? At least once a day i have to flip a snail over.
It is and, unfortunately, some seem to have real difficulty righting themselves - they have a top heavy shell and may soon become crab bait.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did my weekly water change
Move most snails to the refugium where there is plenty of food. I'll let the DT build up a little with less snails then move some back up.
Picked up Algae wafers for supplementary feeding

Hopefully these changed make a difference.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a more potent factor in your case, but I generally will not stock reef's with turbos and expect them to last long term. They are a quick clean up snail in an emergency if I cannot get banded trochus. If they are mexican turbos they need temperate water to live a full life. at 73 F or lower I find they can last seemingly indefinitely, but above 74 or 75 F they really don't make it more than 3 or 4 months IME. Also, your tank does look quite devoid of any turf or surface algae so if they are not being supplemented with greens then that will certainly spell the end for them. Even with food being added I still would not expect a common mexican turbo snail to make it more than 6 months if you're running the tank at a normal 76-77 F. Definitely there are some exceptional specimens that will tolerate the warmer temps for longer, but they seem to be rather uncommon at least where I am.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
snails do best in water with a low nitrite/nitrate source and I agree on clean. they are grazers and have nothing to graze on as seen in photo.
Some seaweed and even romaine lettuce would give them a supplement to feed on. I keep mine in 78 deg temp and they have had eggs & babies and last generally a year + for me,

Mr.Fishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said. Not enough food. Also, after a tank cycles. You should never get a reading of ammonia.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said. Not enough food. Also, after a tank cycles. You should never get a reading of ammonia.

What do you think may be the cause of an Ammonia increase? I thought the dead snail might have caused it or maybe i'm overfeeding

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back