Turbo Snails slowing and dying.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad test kit or tank not fully cycled...since you’re using API it’s very possible it’s giving a false positive. If you can, get another test kit or take a sample to a lfs that uses some other kit.

For snails you can attach some nori with a rubber band to a pice of rock. Generally best to do at night when the fish are asleep.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 turbos (2 larger, 3 medium size), in a 120 gallon and I find myself constantly having to feed them nori on my algae grid. I believe 1 of my larger turbo snails produces more poop than 1 of my 3" yellow tang. I would not recommend more than 1 medium size turbo for your tank for the time being. If algae is becoming a problem better to add one later but I bet that 1 turbo would keep your tank clean as well as become fat and healthy. Unlike fish they can't go and scavenge once algae is out or minimal and with 5 they are certainly starving themselves out. In my previous 120g tank I had only 1 large turbo snail it grew to 3" and was my only clean up crew member and it did its job. When the turbos have enough food they will eat at night and sleep during the day. If they are starved they will look for food during the day; when this happens I know its time to supplement feed. If they are sleeping with tons of poop around them I know Im good.:) In your case If they are at a point of no return it may be hard but try nori on a grid or rubber band it to a rock and put it right infront of the turbo. If it eats the food it should recover. I don't believe its your ammonia but it may be a factor so definitely take care of that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad test kit or tank not fully cycled...since you’re using API it’s very possible it’s giving a false positive. If you can, get another test kit or take a sample to a lfs that uses some other kit.

For snails you can attach some nori with a rubber band to a pice of rock. Generally best to do at night when the fish are asleep.

Very much a possibility i'll take a sample to the LFS for testing. I have some nori laying around i'll start supplementing.

I have 5 turbos (2 larger, 3 medium size), in a 120 gallon and I find myself constantly having to feed them nori on my algae grid. I believe 1 of my larger turbo snails produces more poop than 1 of my 3" yellow tang. I would not recommend more than 1 medium size turbo for your tank for the time being. If algae is becoming a problem better to add one later but I bet that 1 turbo would keep your tank clean as well as become fat and healthy. Unlike fish they can't go and scavenge once algae is out or minimal and with 5 they are certainly starving themselves out. In my previous 120g tank I had only 1 large turbo snail it grew to 3" and was my only clean up crew member and it did its job. When the turbos have enough food they will eat at night and sleep during the day. If they are starved they will look for food during the day; when this happens I know its time to supplement feed. If they are sleeping with tons of poop around them I know Im good.:) In your case If they are at a point of no return it may be hard but try nori on a grid or rubber band it to a rock and put it right infront of the turbo. If it eats the food it should recover. I don't believe its your ammonia but it may be a factor so definitely take care of that.

Very useful information, thank you!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia and nitrite are both toxic to snails. One snail drying should not cause an ammonia spike once your tank is established. As someone else mentioned Mexican turbo snails are not tropical snails and do not do well in the range most people keep reeftanks at. The higher the temp the shorter they will live. 75-76 is about the highest temp they can tolerate long term in my experience.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What do you think may be the cause of an Ammonia increase? I thought the dead snail might have caused it or maybe i'm overfeeding

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ammonia generally associated with overfeeding and inadequate filtration. Here you may need to increase water changes

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High magnesium or pyramid snails are two other possibilities.

When I first bought these snails a few months ago, I did see some pyramid snails on them but i brushed them off and haven't seen any since, I'll keep a look out and purchase a mg test as well.

Ammonia generally associated with overfeeding and inadequate filtration. Here you may need to increase water changes

I do want to replace my skimmer but I think i'll save it for when i redo my entire sump setup. In the meantime i'll bump up the weekly waterchanges

75pxatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think may be the cause of an Ammonia increase? I thought the dead snail might have caused it or maybe i'm overfeeding
Your tank looks new and may not have fully matured yet. I would not add the turbo snails yet. Invertebrates can be very sensitive to change.

Mr.Fishtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used API for testing ammonia. If it doesn't read 0 then there is a problem. Sending a sample to Triton or another lab would be my suggestion. At least you will then know what all your levels are at. Could be something else like high levels of copper.

Koi Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they could be starving because of no food. tank looks to clean. Temp can kill them as well i think if over 80 degrees in the water then the snails will start to die off as well . unless they are old and used to the higher temps that is.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by the time a triton test comes back the problem will have corrected itself and everything will have perished

not knocking triton, but he needs to get it resolved quick

Agreed, it's a powerful tool but turnaround time in emergency cases is too long.

Dinoflagellates can kill snails too. I think I have had this happen.

I don't think i have dino, tank is pretty clean, i'll be getting rid of sand too in a month or two.

they could be starving because of no food. tank looks to clean. Temp can kill them as well i think if over 80 degrees in the water then the snails will start to die off as well . unless they are old and used to the higher temps that is.

Yea I keep my temps between 76-78 im thinking of keeping it closer to 76 now. I think it's food, I started supplementing the food and now im noticing them inactive during the day and active at night, and a lot more snail poop in the tank.

Mal Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont trust API test kits. My nitrates were testing nil with API (not out of date) but were actually 50. Get a good test kit for all your tests. Cheers.

Mal Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont use API test kits. Cheap and not accurate. I was getting a reading of zero nitrates when in fact it was 50. And yes the test kit was still within use by date.

van7271

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time it is because they don’t have enough to eat. As others have said if the tank is to clean they will starve.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back