Turbo Snails slowing and dying.

Koi Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found turbo to slow and die if the temp gets too warm . Above 78 they seem to drop like flies unless they have been in the system for years. Now I have had same snails for more than 4 years now

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing worse smelling then a bag of dead turbo snails caused be a delay in shipping. You can smell them before you even open the box!

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found turbo to slow and die if the temp gets too warm . Above 78 they seem to drop like flies unless they have been in the system for years. Now I have had same snails for more than 4 years now

I found that with mine, they grow LARGE and then all seem to die around the same time. From when I bought them, they lay tons of eggs that spawn babies and the cycle continues. I also found that with higher temperatures (80-82 degrees), they actually would spawn more and seemed to thrive; maybe the higher temperatures resulted in more algae they could eat?

I think with large ones, there is a point where they are too large to fit and eat enough algae and then they starve unfortunately unless you have a very uncrowded tank or a tank where the LR is more flat surfaced. I have a ton of LR from Totaka LR when it was still legal to purchase which I find makes it VERY difficult for larger snails to eat as they will get stuck or be unable to fit between all the coral LR skeleton easily.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are usually sold as turbo snails come from Mexico where water temps are cooler. They usually do not do well in a warmer reef tank and often die in the warmer summer months. Perhaps you getting a different species there.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back