TurboDan's Waterbox 30.2 AIO Build

TurboDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
My name is Dan and I am new to Reef@Reef and saltwater, though I do have some freshwater experience.

Just picked up a Waterbox 30.2 AIO and it was delivered a couple of days ago. Thought I would start a new build log. The delivery itself was a real smooth process, both the tank and stand arrived in great condition, and I didn't even have to sign for it due to the Coronavirus haha :). So far I have the following:

Equipment:
  • Waterbox 30.2 w/stand
  • 25lb of Stax Rock
  • Extra MarinePure in the sump
  • Hydor Seltz DC Pump (Not as quiet as I hoped, open for suggestions...)
  • Eheim Heater
  • TP-Link WiFi Power Strip
To be decided:
  • Lighting
  • Sand
  • Powerheads
  • Protein Skimmer?
  • ATO
I'm undecided on stocking at this point, am planning to take it slow and let things mature before adding livestock. Probably start with FOWLR and then add easy corals later. Right now my floor is covered in rocks as I try to figure out my rockscape, cant wait to get it done!

Stay tuned for updates, and feel free to chime in as I progress. I'll post some photos below of the delivery.

Thanks!
Dan

IMG_20200406_1755132.jpg
IMG_20200407_184813.jpg

gherewolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very exciting and welcome to R2R!

Those Stax rocks are really cool. Can’t wait to see what you come up with on the aquascape.

OP
OP
TurboDan

TurboDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very exciting and welcome to R2R!

Those Stax rocks are really cool. Can’t wait to see what you come up with on the aquascape.

Thanks, gherewolf! I'll post some pics of my arrangement in a little bit.

Side question, just set up my BRS 4 Stage RODI uint. The TDS meter says my incoming city water supply is approx 2ppm. Is this possible? Output channel says 0ppm so thats good at least. Still no water in the tank just testing things out.

Dan

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Varios 2 on my reefer 170 for a return pump. I am very strict about noise. It meets my criteria for quiet.

OP
OP
TurboDan

TurboDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some shots of my scape, let me know what you think!

Currently the rocks are about 2 inches from the back wall, does that seem like enough room?

IMGx_20200419_200400 - Copy.jpg

IMGx_20200419_200037 - Copy.jpg IMGx_20200419_200210 - Copy2.jpg

gherewolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! 2” is plenty of room in the back. I like to make sure I can run a magnet cleaner on the back wall and get back there to pick up anything that may fall.

OP
OP
TurboDan

TurboDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on a good, quiet light for this tank? Currently looking at either two Kessil A80s or a ReefLED 50. Do you think that will be enough light? Looking for something quiet that will support fish and some beginner corals.

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on a good, quiet light for this tank? Currently looking at either two Kessil A80s or a ReefLED 50. Do you think that will be enough light? Looking for something quiet that will support fish and some beginner corals.
2 A80s will be good for a mixed reef. How is the tank doing since May? Updates

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know much about the A80's but I have the reefled 50, mine was pretry good but not much control, red seas programs tell you what they have as proper schedule so that you won't harm the coral. There is an acclimation mode, ability to change whites and blues, ramp up.

gherewolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with the reefled 50, however, I just picked up an A80 for a nano I am building and it seems great. The colors and intensity are adjustable using two knobs. You can probably put either option on a simple $5.99 timer from the big box store. I am sure you would be great running either. Comes down to personal preference of looks.

Check out any of the reviews that BRS has done on either of the lights to see the spread for your specific tank.

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a Kessil controller and wire 2 A80 together. It is limited on certain controls since it will not allow individual spectrum adjustments but it does do color, intensity, ramp, and special effects.

E8B97160-547D-495F-B139-A2B865BFBD78.jpeg

OP
OP
TurboDan

TurboDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone! I'm leaning towards the A80 as it's fanless and easy to control.

I already have the Kasa Power strip setup, so I could easily use that as a controller before I purchase the Kessil one. I looked at the reviews for the AI, Kessil, and Red Sea apps and the ratings were pretty low. Might want to keep it simple with the timer until the reliability improves. Hopefully it's just a few people complaining, but seems like reliability might not be the best at this point.

As for tank update, been taking it slow so far, but luckily no major issues to report. I currently have 2 Clownfish in the tank and they seem to be thriving!

Now that it's been up for a few months I'm looking to set up the lighting, and maybe add another fish or beginner coral (so many choices haha). I have been doing 5g water chanes once a week, hopefully that's not too much but it seems to be working so far. Starting to get a little bit of green algae but nothing too out of control yet.

I'll post some pics with my next update!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 109 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back