OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had turd algae that two long treatments of Fluco knocked back but never destroyed. I’ve been using vibrant and it’s completely gone now. After about a month and a half at one dose a week.

I'd rather not go the chemical route unless I absolutely have to, thanks for the input!

glassguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vibrant and a ton of Mexican turbos, get rid of any bulbs with red in them. I had my entire tank full of RED turf algae and it took about 3 weeks. Vibrant works on the bubble algae almost immediately. after algae is gone give the turbos back to the store. A ton equals 20 plus.... you wont be sorry!

glassguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vibrant and a ton of Mexican turbos, get rid of any bulbs with red in them. I had my entire tank full of RED turf algae and it took about 3 weeks. Vibrant works on the bubble algae almost immediately. after algae is gone give the turbos back to the store. A ton equals 20 plus.... you wont be sorry!

glassguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried pin cushion urchins? Every one I've ever had loves all kinds of algae - turf, shaving brush, gracilaria, coralline (usually as a last resort if I forget to feed nori), etc. If you can get past their love of decorating themselves with frags and stray snails, they're great on algae and fun to watch. As long as you keep an eye on nitrates, they're more hardy than you'd think.

I have not, I have no experience with urchins. I had a fighting conch before, great sand cleaner, but a total bulldozer in my sand bed. Pin cushion urchins grow to 8 inches which seems a tad excessive for my tank; a tuxedo would be more ideal regarding max size.

SnailQueen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not, I have no experience with urchins. I had a fighting conch before, great sand cleaner, but a total bulldozer in my sand bed. Pin cushion urchins grow to 8 inches which seems a tad excessive for my tank; a tuxedo would be more ideal regarding max size.
I've never had my pin cushions get much bigger than 3 inches or so, but they're in a 20G so perhaps they're self-limiting somehow? The longest I kept one alive for was around four years, so they may just be slow growers. I know in the wild they can get pretty large. I've had tuxedos before too and they are also good on algae, so I think any of the reef safe urchins probably would be. I hear you on the fighting conch, mine would tunnel under toadstool leathers and pop them out of the sand bed like they were logging trees in a forest.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so i've been battling this stuff for months. Finally believe i've nailed it down to turf algae. I'll add some pics when possible for a valid ID. Assuming it is in fact turf algae, anyone have any recommendations on removal? I've been doing so manually, but the stuff doesn't like to let go and even when you pull it off the rock it just comes right back.

After a little bit of research, i'm finding that i'd have to lower my nutrients to crazy low levels to get close to wiping this junk out and would almost certainly hurt my coral in the process. I'm not one to add critters to solve these types of issues, but it seems like thats my only option.

I have trochus, hermits, nassarius and a single turbo for my CUC... to my knowledge with the exception of the hermits & my single turbo... none of these guys really touch turf algae. I've been contemplating getting a sea slug or some chitons. Sea hare's seem too complicated to keep and i'd rather not go that direction. I have a diamond goby, it's an 80G 4 foot tank... not sure if a lawnmower blenny would be the right choice either.

Anyone care to chime in?
Sup Cody, how you been bud? (besides the turf algae obviously)

I have been there my friend (about 50% of my rock was covered), one tuxedo urchin and one halloween urchin (aka hairy pincushion) crushed it in my 90g in about a week. I am not sure if they both ate it or only one did because they are really only active at night when im asleep, but they did it somehow. I have not had one frag knocked over either and they are all only superglued. You have a bunch of zoas if I recall though and some of those will likely be moved. Mine are 90% hard corals so not quite the same. I also did as much manual removal as i could the day before adding them. I know someone else who had success with them + sea hare as well.

I too did not want to drive nutrients down because my acros had the best color simultaneously lol. Good luck

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to clarify:

The halloween/hairy pincushion urchin (live aquaria)/collectors urchin: Tripneustes gratilla, grows 4-6 inches max, mine is 2"
Red Tuxedo urchin (pretty sure same thing as the blue just cooler looking imo): Mespilia cf globulus, grows 3 inches max, mine is 2"

Tuxedos are smaller and less likely to pick up/knock things over but I am not sure which one is better at eating turf so i got both. I will say that my turf did not quite look like your turf though, mine was a lot tighter and thicker (not as stringy or thin as yours appears to be). The best test IMO for turf algae is that it should peel off in mats, even if it leaves some behind. Regardless of what it is, the urchins should eat it. You can always trade them in for credit at the lfs.

Last edited:

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather not go the chemical route unless I absolutely have to, thanks for the input!
Vibrant is 95% bacteria, 3.5% H2O, 1% amino acids and .5% vinegar. I guess it technically is chemicals, but I’ve noticed no I’ll effects on my other livestock. And it it’s easier to discontinue than to try and remove a fish or invert. That’s why I went with it.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is 95% bacteria, 3.5% H2O, 1% amino acids and .5% vinegar. I guess it technically is chemicals, but I’ve noticed no I’ll effects on my other livestock. And it it’s easier to discontinue than to try and remove a fish or invert. That’s why I went with it.
It does drive down nitrate levels though, as confirmed by the manufacturer. one strain lowers nutrients, the other attacks organics/algae. I researched it before buying urchins and that is what put me off. I know some people who had significant paling of acros when using it due to driving their nitrates down

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the fence with most other CUC....neutral. If you think they'd be a good fit, it's probably worth a try – or at least some research. As you've already noted, most CUC members have "issues", so just be aware of them.

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Cody/rva that algae looks similar to the one I'm battling with at the moment and have been for a long time now I dosed Fluconasole 4 days ago but seems to have no effect but I will give the Fluconasole another 10 days and see were its at then here's a pic of the offending algae
image.jpeg
if I have tried manual removal water changes to lower nutrients ,now trying Fluconasole fingers crossed .

Blumon18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so i've been battling this stuff for months. Finally believe i've nailed it down to turf algae. I'll add some pics when possible for a valid ID. Assuming it is in fact turf algae, anyone have any recommendations on removal? I've been doing so manually, but the stuff doesn't like to let go and even when you pull it off the rock it just comes right back.

After a little bit of research, i'm finding that i'd have to lower my nutrients to crazy low levels to get close to wiping this junk out and would almost certainly hurt my coral in the process. I'm not one to add critters to solve these types of issues, but it seems like thats my only option.

I have trochus, hermits, nassarius and a single turbo for my CUC... to my knowledge with the exception of the hermits & my single turbo... none of these guys really touch turf algae. I've been contemplating getting a sea slug or some chitons. Sea hare's seem too complicated to keep and i'd rather not go that direction. I have a diamond goby, it's an 80G 4 foot tank... not sure if a lawnmower blenny would be the right choice either.

Anyone care to chime in?
I'm in the same boat I'm totally losing interest been removing manually and just comes back worse then before please lend me some information too please

jon99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat I'm totally losing interest been removing manually and just comes back worse then before please lend me some information too please
Vibrant worked great for my turf problem…
FE62B6D1-8C84-4D98-B83A-9A75F43EF608.jpeg

4D030A45-AF92-4B4B-A075-01EB308EE30C.jpeg

DCEF0F25-5EF0-49D1-A31F-796FBCCBEA59.jpeg

need to run it again to get rid of the bubble algae

Blumon18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant worked great for my turf problem…
FE62B6D1-8C84-4D98-B83A-9A75F43EF608.jpeg

4D030A45-AF92-4B4B-A075-01EB308EE30C.jpeg

DCEF0F25-5EF0-49D1-A31F-796FBCCBEA59.jpeg

need to run it again to get rid of the bubble algae
Cool yeah I've only been using once a week for three weeks now guess I'm just impatient

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back