Turning Red Sea ATO tank into frag tank, is it safe to paint the bottom?

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of converting the ATO tank that came with my Red Sea sump system into a frag tank. I've never used this ATO as I've a separate 55gl container and this tank is just collecting dust. I've all the parts needed laying around for this project so this is basically a free tank addition for me, plus the 90 gl frag tank I already have has too much light and flow for shrooms and zoa's to grow out in. The Frag/ATO tank will sit on top of the sump, as it was designed by red sea. To prevent light seepage through the bottom, I was thinking of painting the bottom of this tank black, using rustoleum oil based black paint. I've used this paint for painting the back of tanks, but never on the bottom where it would have constant exposure to saltwater. Considering that there will be condensation and likely salt build up on the bottom of this tank, I'm thinking that this paint could start to chip off over time and contaminate the water, so I'm hesitant to do it. So would it be a bad idea to do this or is this something that is commonly done? I'm not sure what paint people are using for plywood tanks, so I can imagine there is paint that is safe to use.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
-Eric

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get a piece of black acrylic and (set,sit ????) that between the 2.
place might be a better word according to my old english teacher

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just slap a piece of vinyl wrap on the bottom (outside). You should be able to get a scrap piece from a sign shop or wrap shop to fit the bottom.

OP
OP
ESH

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a possibility and is something I've considered, but I already have the paint. Does anyone know if the paint would work?

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me i'd use Black Plasti Dip spray It resists salt very well, and is non toxic if it did somehow chip and fall into the sump. I am actually using it inside of my tank. Your oil based paint would probably do the trick for what you are trying to do, but it may bubble over time if there is a lot of moisture.

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally have never painted a pane of glass that's exposed to saltwater but IMO, it's not worth it. As other have mentioned, use a vinyl wrap. If you do use a piece of black acrylic on the bottom, make sure you give it a little room to expand. If the acrylic is cut "perfect" it might expand and bust the seams of your ATO tank

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back