Tuskfish with coral gobies?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have a 170gal that I plan to add a Harlequin Tuskfish to. However my wife loves coral gobies (gobiodon) so I was wondering if add a group of coral gobies and get them established before adding the Tuskfish do you think they would be safe?

Also what about firefiish/gobies?

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have a 170gal that I plan to add a Harlequin Tuskfish to. However my wife loves coral gobies (gobiodon) so I was wondering if add a group of coral gobies and get them established before adding the Tuskfish do you think they would be safe?

Also what about firefiish/gobies?
No the tuskfish will eventually eat them. They get more aggressive once established.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it would definitely eat them because coral gobies have a thick noxious body mucus, designed to deter predators. I think the chances are pretty high it would have a bite and kill at least one (if you have a group).
They are a neat species but I know of one that ate a longnosed hawkfish and a trio of flame angels so I'd be a bit wary of those big blue teeth.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Mine has been in for 2+ months now. He acted like he was on deaths door for the first week(dont believe him when he looks docile after going in the tank). Then he ate (4) large cleaner shrimp. He attempted to eat a conch but decided it was too much work. He hasn't touched any of the other fish yet and I have some small ones. This is with keeping him WELL fed.

My diamondback goby must have seen him eat the shrimp because he is the only fish he doesn't allow to get close to him.
I don't trust him fully but he is an awesome, awesome fish to have in the tank. My Tangs keep him in check daily.

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm seems a bit risky perhaps. I’ve had two Tuskfish nearly ten years ago and both were great citizens but all my fish were decent size with one exception.. I do believe that my first Tuskfish killed a dottyback however it had it coming.. that’s what happens when a small fish tries to bully a big toothy fish lol

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the example I posted above I do know the harlequin was very large and it only went after the hawk and angels as they were added after. I seem to remember that was the tipping point and it went after a few of the resident fish so was caught and rehomed.
If you buy them smaller and grow them up I think there is a chance of good success with them but I still wouldn't add little fish to the tank.

You could get your wife a nano tank or make a display of part of the sump as a compromise.

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the example I posted above I do know the harlequin was very large and it only went after the hawk and angels as they were added after. I seem to remember that was the tipping point and it went after a few of the resident fish so was caught and rehomed.
If you buy them smaller and grow them up I think there is a chance of good success with them but I still wouldn't add little fish to the tank.

You could get your wife a nano tank or make a display of part of the sump as a compromise.

Interesting info there. I’m aware that once the Tuskfish is in that I won’t be adding new fish. The Tuskfish is planned to go in with my last batch of fish, so my wife was thinking about what could be added as a group of fish to go in earlier.

What about a group of clowns? Is it ok to put 5 or 6 percs or occelaris? I’ve always just kept pairs fine but she asked about clowns but I’ve never considered adding more than two before.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General advice is two clowns only but if you have a big enough tank you can push things a little. In 170 gallons you might get away with two pairs but it tends to come down to a little luck. Most people will still suggest only one pair and I've not personally tried more but there are some great knowledgeable folks in the anemone and clownfish forum a few forums down from where we are now.

OP
OP
Jase4224

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General advice is two clowns only but if you have a big enough tank you can push things a little. In 170 gallons you might get away with two pairs but it tends to come down to a little luck. Most people will still suggest only one pair and I've not personally tried more but there are some great knowledgeable folks in the anemone and clownfish forum a few forums down from where we are now.
Thanks for the advice. The research I have done since asking in this thread is in line with what you have said. I prefer not to risk it!

Back