TV on the wall...but

Alex23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9606.JPG So today I put my tv on the wall in my room. After the "long" installation of it, now when I look at it, it is a bit high on the wall for when I play the Xbox. I will leave it there for the time being because I don't want to do all the moving again.

So here's the thing, it is the perfect hight when I am laying in bed watching tv, but when I play Xbox, I have to almost turn my head all the way up to look at the screen when I sit in my computer chair. Can anyone link me to some type of tall stool with a back for a cheap price? I do have the tv tilted as far down as it can go.

Also, what's the best way to hide the wires? As you can see in the pic, the closest power outlet is at the bottom right.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do it correctly, I would punch a hole in the wall behind the TV, run the wires behind the drywall, and punch a second hole behind the equipment at the bottom, where the cables will exit. They also sell telescoping wall mounts that let you angle or raise/lower the TV as needed.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommended height for a TV is eye level. It should not be up that high and may create back and neck problems for you. I suggest you move it to a stand especially if your goal is gaming.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommended height for a TV is eye level. It should not be up that high and may create back and neck problems for you. I suggest you move it to a stand especially if your goal is gaming.

piggybacking because I am going to mount my TV soon.. when you say eye level.. is that when standing, or sitting?

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
piggybacking because I am going to mount my TV soon.. when you say eye level.. is that when standing, or sitting?

Yes! lol - however you watch it is the level it should be. Sitting usually. The worst are over-the-fireplace TVs. I cringe when I see these.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do it correctly, I would punch a hole in the wall behind the TV, run the wires behind the drywall, and punch a second hole behind the equipment at the bottom, where the cables will exit. They also sell telescoping wall mounts that let you angle or raise/lower the TV as needed.
May have fire blocks in between his studs which means cutting out a big L shaped section of drywall. Which is the route I would go personally.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did
Mounted the tv cut a hole in the wall for the wires and ran my own electric image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I then went in the attic and ran a 75 foot hdmi cable to a closet image.jpg image.jpg
And put everything in there

I hate wires with a passion

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
61YtBWC2yRL._SL1500_.jpg

http://a.co/89qh06g

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you change channels? Nice clean install btw!
image.jpg For the fios I have an ir transmitter the Apple TV runs on blue tooth and resides here image.jpg best part no wires as the suck

image.jpg

It's floating

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other hobby is Home Theater and I've done some installations for friends and family. Easiest way to hide the wires is wire channel. Aesthetically would be to run the wires in the wall like was already mentioned, I use magnets and pull the wires with them, easier on interior walls, exterior walls you have to deal with the insulation, but can be done. I agree that the TV is too high. Despite my warning against putting a TV over the fireplace a relative didn't listen and I had to move it a few months later. I told them they were too close and would be looking up when watching TV.

OP
OP
Alex23

Alex23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I do like how my tv looks on my wall still, so I will just lower it a bit. Wish I did this at first lol but oh well

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was my super simple wire hiding solution that I just put in my newly refinished master bedroom.

TV mounted to wall with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OCY3RY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hole behind TV using a 2" hole saw with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0JN4O2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Box next to electrical outlet on wall (oriented on opposite sides of the stud that the electrical box was attached to, to match up with the electrical socket next to it) with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N7NJBY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And plugged in to the outlet and through the bottom box with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UI7I4JE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Took me literally maybe 20 minutes to drill the 2" hole, cut out a square for the box using an oscillating multi tool, and plug everything in. Both the top and bottom pass throughs are the type that hold in using pressure from the screw and a tab.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishing the wires through the walls is the cleanest install, that's if you can. Meredith is right you might have a fireblock inside the wall, you can drill through it but that is easier said then done when you are on the outside of the wall. (It's also nearly guaranteed that it is against code to run a powercable through your drywall).

You can go to best buy and they sell channel that would go in the corner and you can paint it to match the room, this is probably the easiest solution, and in your location it will work perfect, you probably won't even notice it.

I had a tv hung too high like that, I lived with it for years. Just fix it and be done with it. When I moved I lowered the tv in it's current location in my new home and it's much nicer. Gaming looking at the ceiling sucks, it's also distorts your view.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mounting our new 55" curved LED, I bought the extendable bracket on Amazon so that I could easily pull it out from the wall to maintenance if I needed to. I then cut a hole in the wall behind the TV and installed a 2 gang electrical box. Directly beneath that, I tapped into the rear of the outlet (hidden behind TV stand) and ran electricity to one side of that gang box. on the other side, I opened a hole in the back and ran my HDMI cable down thru it and into a new single gang box next to the existing electrical. this allowed me to have the TV power up high as well and the HDMI cable hidden. Plus I can articulate my TV however I wish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back