Two A360X’s on a single arm?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to mount two A360X’s on the same arm, and I was wondering if the extended slide bar had enough spacing between the screw holes to do that? If not, are there any potential alternatives without me having to have something custom made? I have a deep tank (80cm) and want to use two A360x’s in the middle between two T5 fixtures. Thanks!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kessil - thoughts?
I'd be concerned about the weight and structural integrity of putting two on one arm. The further you extend that slide, the less strength it will have. Depending on how far you plan to extend, my gut says it is worth going custom. For what you paid for those lights, is it worth a potential failure?

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point - it seems so sturdy with one that I hadn’t thought two might be too heavy, thanks for looking out! Let’s see if there are any known solutions, but yes, may need to go custom. Appreciate your response!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point - it seems so sturdy with one that I hadn’t thought two might be too heavy, thanks for looking out! Let’s see if there are any known solutions, but yes, may need to go custom. Appreciate your response!
If you are willing to wall mount, consider going on Etsy and looking into metal brackets. There are several folks on there that can make you a 3/8" powder coated steel bracket with holes drilled as needed to mount the lights. I've used UniqueWoodArt for other design projects previously - great work. He is in Lithuania, I think but ships anywhere. There are also fabricators in the US and Canada that could help you. I would think that to support two, you would want something 1.5 - 2" wide x 3/8" thick, perhaps with an angle brace by the wall for deflection. Consider having some extra holes drilled along the arm so you can cable tie your wires.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extended slide bar has the same screw holes as the standard slide bar - it just provides a longer reach for deeper tanks.

I would advise against the "two lamps one arm" option for exactly the reason @CMMorgan mentioned - you're adding additional stress to the tank glass the more weight you put on the arm.

One possible option would be to use the extension mount so you can mount the arms to the stand instead of the glass - that's going to be far more stable than using the glass if you do want to run some sort of DIY solution.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to mount two A360X’s on the same arm, and I was wondering if the extended slide bar had enough spacing between the screw holes to do that? If not, are there any potential alternatives without me having to have something custom made? I have a deep tank (80cm) and want to use two A360x’s in the middle between two T5 fixtures. Thanks!
I use this for my fuge using two A160's (Fuge and Tuna sun)....they fit I dont think 2 A360's will work.

1615493206145.png

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extended slide bar has the same screw holes as the standard slide bar - it just provides a longer reach for deeper tanks.

I would advise against the "two lamps one arm" option for exactly the reason @CMMorgan mentioned - you're adding additional stress to the tank glass the more weight you put on the arm. Hmm...

One possible option would be to use the extension mount so you can mount the arms to the stand instead of the glass - that's going to be far more stable than using the glass if you do want to run some sort of DIY solution.
Oh, they’re not attached to the glass, I’m using the extension mount. But if there are no additional mounting holes then you’re right, the spacing won’t work.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, they’re not attached to the glass, I’m using the extension mount. But if there are no additional mounting holes then you’re right, the spacing won’t work.
Ah, yes - the lack of mounting holes is going to be your issue.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I thought the same thing about the sump @Sdot! Btw you have a beautiful H. magnifica, when I’ve finished my build I’m looking to get one. I’ve always had carpets, but never a serious attempt at a mag. That’s my reason for the intense lighting!

Thanks @Kessil, the input is appreciated. I may not end up needing two anyway, but if so, I’ll keep everyone updated on my solution...

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I thought the same thing about the sump @Sdot! Btw you have a beautiful H. magnifica, when I’ve finished my build I’m looking to get one. I’ve always had carpets, but never a serious attempt at a mag. That’s my reason for the intense lighting!

Thanks @Kessil, the input is appreciated. I may not end up needing two anyway, but if so, I’ll keep everyone updated on my solution...
Thank you so much!! Do as much research as you can on the mag, they can be alot at the beginning.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back