Two male mandarins with a female? Is it possible?

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a 130 gallon mixed reef with an assortment of fish and corals, all fish living peacefully together. In my tank I have two male mandarins. I actually wanted a female to pair with the male but was sent another male by mistake. They have been living together for about two years no, no issues, they do swim together, no fighting, some chasing but everything peaceful overall. Now, my lfs has brought in some really beautiful female mandarins and I really really want one. Do you think it would be possible to introduce one female to the two males? Maybe I should get two females? But would my tank be able to support four mandarins on copepods? The tank has a lot of rock and sand and the two mandarins are fat and healthy. What should I do? I really want a pair of mandarins

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll wager a guess that the larger male will lock the female up, and the balance would be through off. Mandarins can and will kill other mandarins.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick...go register the domain "fishhub.com"..i think we have a winner for the next big thing on the internet.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a 130 gallon mixed reef with an assortment of fish and corals, all fish living peacefully together. In my tank I have two male mandarins. I actually wanted a female to pair with the male but was sent another male by mistake. They have been living together for about two years no, no issues, they do swim together, no fighting, some chasing but everything peaceful overall. Now, my lfs has brought in some really beautiful female mandarins and I really really want one. Do you think it would be possible to introduce one female to the two males? Maybe I should get two females? But would my tank be able to support four mandarins on copepods? The tank has a lot of rock and sand and the two mandarins are fat and healthy. What should I do? I really want a pair of mandarins
I only have 1 mandarin that's 4 years old so I can only offer suggestions. my mandarin goes crazy when I'm looking at my aquriam with glasses on, I can only assume it can see it's reflection in my glasses and it assumes it is another/competition. If you want a male/ female pair I would remove one male and replace with female instead of chancing it to 'a threesome' .
From the reactions of mine to reflection in my glasses I assume it would be a quick fight to death once a female is added.
Again I'm no expert :)

Attachments

• VID_20230402181656.mp4
    69 MB

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until night and catch one of the males out. Having a pair is way better off than two males.
A friend of mine had 2 males in his tank. I want to Houston two weeks ago and had a chance to pick up a beautiful female for him. So far, the three Mandarin are doing OK, no problem. His tank is a 240-gal tank.

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until night and catch one of the males out. Having a pair is way better off than two males.
A friend of mine had 2 males in his tank. I want to Houston two weeks ago and had a chance to pick up a beautiful female for him. So far, the three Mandarin are doing OK, no problem. His tank is a 240-gal tank.
Thanks! So your friend now has 2 males and 1 female? And everything is OK?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back