Two Ocellaris Clownfish in 20g

fadijohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to reefing and I currently have a 20g Red Sea Max Nano with corals and a neon blue goby. I'm looking to add two more fish and was debating on getting two Ocellaris Clownfish (not necessarily a breeding pair - just two juveniles). I've heard as they mature, clownfish get aggressive - is this something I should be concerned about for a 20g tank like mine?

The goby has plenty of dartholes/hiding places, so my concern (I think) would more likely be for the other clownfish and/or the corals.

If you think clownfish wouldn't work in a setup like mine, would a single clownfish be better off in the long haul? Or should I consider other fish(es) all together? Thank you!

Last edited:

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to reefing and I currently have a 20g Red Sea Max Nano with corals and a neon blue goby. I'm looking to add two more fish and was debating on getting two Ocellaris Clownfish (not necessarily a breeding pair - just two juveniles). I've heard as they mature, clownfish get aggressive - is this something I should be concerned about for a 20g tank like mine?

The goby has plenty of dartholes/hiding places, so my concern (I think) would more likely be for the other clownfish and/or the corals.

If you think clownfish wouldn't work in a setup like mine, would a single clownfish be better off in the long haul? Or should I consider other fish(es) all together? Thank you!
Your stocking plan could work, yeah. Clownfish can get pretty aggressive, and whether they try to kill off your goby kind depends on the individual personality of each clownfish. I think I saw in the clown appreciation thread earlier today that one of their clowns decided to take over a whole 210 gallons or something of the sorts, so yeah, if you have a particularly angry clown then not much can be done except getting rid of it or everything else.

Clowns can be aggressive with each other, but that is natural clownfish behavior as they establish hierarchy, and then sometimes when the female tries to subdue the male. This can turn brutal and lead to death, but again, natural clownfish behavior. It would absolutely be harder in a 20 gallons if this happens, but then again, in a large tank a female still may chase a male all over the tank anyways, so not necessarily be anything too different.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept two clowns In a 20 with a few other fish for years. No issues whatsoever. Maroons, Tomato and maybe Clarkii tend to be more aggressive. Percula and ocellaris are peaceful IME.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just cause I got tagged and didn’t get here in time lol.

Another you are ok to add those 2 clowns. The neon blue goby are considered cleaners, so typically they are overlooked. Especially by clowns.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back