Two tangs in a 55 Gallon

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope someone say" i have done that" . But i think they would fear for their reef2reef life
Problem is the people who have done that Repeatedly say 'Don't Do That' and we still get these threads about '2 Tangs, 1 Cup'...

FishStyx is right. Put our collective feet down, say 'Stop' and not feed this nonsense.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FishStyx is right. Put our collective feet down, say 'Stop' and not feed this nonsense.

Devils advocate for a minute, because I like to be somewhat open minded, we are all guilty of placing animals that use a lot of space if in the wild compared to our glass and/or acrylic boxes.

I'm guilty of a snarky reply here but for clarity sake I personally wouldn't do it nor would I recommend it. The reasons are:

• Fish grow. Healthy fish grow fast. I own a lot of captive bred/raised fish and see them go from small to large fast in my experience (filefish, gold lined rabbit, various gobies, pink square anthias to name a few)
  • Fish temper isn't a sure thing - we don't know and all are different system to system. Aggression can happen if space is small (sleeping, retreating, foraging areas, etc)
  • Rehoming a fish is nice in theory and a viable option. However they are not just going to enter the net and say thank you kindly for the new digs. Hobbyist may, or may not be able to catch fish. Fish may, or may not, enter the trap. Worst case scenario is that hobbyist has to remove rocks, corals, and cause undo stress to fish, corals, and hobbyist which can lead to other nasties.
The long and short of it is that yes, you can put them in there. It happens more than we know from LFS resell, to QT, to observation, to grow out, to time outs, and more. So while we can the bigger question is should we? Short period of time ok, maybe. But what if the upgrade doesn't happen. What if it gets delayed? What if plans change?

Ignoring everything else the hobbyist has to know up front that there are risks associated with it. Please know I'm not lecturing anyone. I was guilty of a snarky reply so clarified why "I" wouldn't do it or recommend it.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey - no fair. I'm not the OP :) I only have a Scopas tang in my 210.
Sorry about that. Similar name to OP. I apologize if I got any of that on you.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys…
So I’m looking for advice on how best to add a small sailfin desjardini tang to a 55g tank that already has a tomini tang that I’ve had for a year. I already have the sailfin in QT and he’s eating well, and is ready to go into the DT. I’m obviously really nervous about adding a second tang to a relatively small tank. I will say the tomini isn’t very aggressive by nature, and is much more interested in nori and his own reflection. There is only one main cave in the tank, but I’m think it’s probably worth me adding some rock to result in a second cave for the new addition.
Please no tang police! I realise the tank is too small longer term, and both will be moved to my new Waterbox 200g build that’s going in my office towards the end of this year.
Advice is very much appreciated.
My advice is don't :)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long and short of it is that yes, you can put them in there. It happens more than we know from LFS resell, to QT, to observation, to grow out, to time outs, and more. So while we can the bigger question is should we? Short period of time ok, maybe. But what if the upgrade doesn't happen. What if it gets delayed? What if plans change?
The long and short of it is yes, you can put both in there - and one will be dead in less than a week.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long and short of it is yes, you can put both in there - and one will be dead in less than a week.

As I noted above it doesn't matter what you or I believe will happen. We agree we wouldn't but that isn't what they are looking for.

Ks4726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Guys…
So I’m looking for advice on how best to add a small sailfin desjardini tang to a 55g tank that already has a tomini tang that I’ve had for a year. I already have the sailfin in QT and he’s eating well, and is ready to go into the DT. I’m obviously really nervous about adding a second tang to a relatively small tank. I will say the tomini isn’t very aggressive by nature, and is much more interested in nori and his own reflection. There is only one main cave in the tank, but I’m think it’s probably worth me adding some rock to result in a second cave for the new addition.
Please no tang police! I realise the tank is too small longer term, and both will be moved to my new Waterbox 200g build that’s going in my office towards the end of this year.
Advice is very much appreciated.
Pick another species.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back