Two tangs in a 55 Gallon

acroreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys…
So I’m looking for advice on how best to add a small sailfin desjardini tang to a 55g tank that already has a tomini tang that I’ve had for a year. I already have the sailfin in QT and he’s eating well, and is ready to go into the DT. I’m obviously really nervous about adding a second tang to a relatively small tank. I will say the tomini isn’t very aggressive by nature, and is much more interested in nori and his own reflection. There is only one main cave in the tank, but I’m think it’s probably worth me adding some rock to result in a second cave for the new addition.
Please no tang police! I realise the tank is too small longer term, and both will be moved to my new Waterbox 200g build that’s going in my office towards the end of this year.
Advice is very much appreciated.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start with an aclimation box. You can use a mirror next to the tank if one is aggressive. Make sure there is separation in areas with rock or similar.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The short answer is, you don't. Sailfins / Desjardinis need a minimum of an 8' tank. Minimum. Your Tomini is established in that tank (which is already on the small side for it) and will be aggressive toward any new tank mates, regardless of species. My advice is to wait until the new system is set up and then introduce them simultaneously.

communityIcon_hay4cpjw3rw31.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is, you don't. Sailfins / Desjardinis need a minimum of an 8' tank. Minimum. Your Tomini is established in that tank (which is already on the small side for it) and will be aggressive toward any new tank mates, regardless of species. My advice is to wait until the new system is set up and then introduce them simultaneously.

communityIcon_hay4cpjw3rw31.jpg

I think you either missed, or ignored, their request for no po po or conscientious marine aquarist input. Only shopping for answers.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you either missed, or ignored, their request for no po po or conscientious marine aquarist input. Only shopping for answers.
You're not shopping for answers, you're shopping for enablement. I gave you an answer, and the correct one at that. What you do with it is up to you. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not shopping for answers, you're shopping for enablement. I gave you an answer, and the correct one at that. What you do with it is up to you. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Hey - no fair. I'm not the OP :) I only have a Scopas tang in my 210.

OP
OP
A

acroreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start with an aclimation box. You can use a mirror next to the tank if one is aggressive. Make sure there is separation in areas with rock or similar.
I do have an acclimation box lying around. I just wasn’t sure if that might add unnecessary stress? How long would you keep him in the box?

OP
OP
A

acroreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its fine as long as the sailfin is tiny.
I’ve been waiting for a specimen this small for a while, one of the smallest I’ve seen in person. I’m not worried about him getting too big in the 8 - 12 months until the upgrade that’s for sure.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an acclimation box lying around. I just wasn’t sure if that might add unnecessary stress? How long would you keep him in the box?

Depends, usually after a couple of days the other fish will lose interest. You can always rearrange rock

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have remarked upon, it isn't an ideal situation, but it should be possible for a short time. Using an acclimation box, putting a mirror up against the glass, and adding another nori clip to the other side of the tank will increase your chances of success. Placing the fish into the box at night will reduce initial aggressive behavior from the tomini, and because you have it in quarantine, it sounds like you can do that. A four foot tank is okay for two small tangs, but the issue is the depth of only 13". In the future, I wouldn't recommend buying a fish for a tank that you don't have yet. There would still have been plenty of sailfin tangs around once your 200 gallon arrived. Good luck!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been waiting for a specimen this small for a while, one of the smallest I’ve seen in person. I’m not worried about him getting too big in the 8 - 12 months until the upgrade that’s for sure.
Congrats, but it's not about the specimen's size being appropriate for your current tank at this point, as much as it is about its ability to survive the Tomini's aggression, which should be, IMO, your chief concern. For the record, however, coming here and asking a question with the caveat that "conscientious marine aquarists" need not apply, is much akin to going to an ASPCA fundraiser and asking for pointers on how to start up your new dog fighting operation. Again, best of luck to you.

Namaste.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How small of a Desjardini are you putting in this 55g for the tomini to likely kill?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, but it's not about the specimen's size being appropriate for your current tank at this point, as much as it is about its ability to survive the Tomini's aggression, which should be, IMO, your chief concern. For the record, however, coming here and asking a question with the caveat that "conscientious marine aquarists" need not apply, is much akin to going to an ASPCA fundraiser and asking for pointers on how to start up your new dog fighting operation. Again, best of luck to you.
That 70S Show Fez GIF

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For discussion sake, if someone knows what they want to do is a bad idea, and says, don't tell me it's a bad idea, it makes it more fun to remind them how delusionally stupid it is, even if only mildly so.

The phrase "no Tang police" not only calls in the popo, but also the trolls that will just enjoy ruining someone else's confirmation biased safe space.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back