OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a creative always comes with challenges. After building your tank from the ground up, glass box, pumps, wave makers, filtration, sand, rock you are pretty much done. I understand now why people like to either break down a tank and build again or setup tank after tank in their home till their spouse says they want a divorce :eek:
IMG_7583 2.jpeg

Being a creative in this hobby takes some serious restraint. All i want to do is put my hands in the tank, feed the fish by hand, move a rock, change around coral location, add something new, and so much more. You must show restraint and patience. Make changes when they are really needed and let the growth of your animals be your guide. This means some of your creative ideas will never be realized.
IMG_7587 2.jpeg

I have struggled with my creativity since high school and never seem to allow myself to grow in an art form. Drawing with pen or pencil came to fruition due to boredom. We did not have cell phones yet so to pass the time in a boring English class i would draw. Draw animals, anime, and may even let a drawing come to light after sketching just a couple squiggly lines. I did pretty well and had a creative edge but like most things in high school, i drift away.
IMG_7589 2.jpeg

Getting into a flow state as a creative is freeing. I never experienced this more than when i was a DJ. Mixing two or more beats together for that perfect drop in a house track or breaking into that booty dropping Hip-Hop bassline that gets everybody on the dance floor feels really nice!! Diving into a dusty record shop for that perfect album was a real joy and getting people to dance makes your heart sing. The DJ hobby is fun and engaging which lead me to producing.
IMG_7591 2.jpeg

Music production kept the hobby alive for longer than i would have expected. I made music for me at first always expecting to get better. And for six years all i did was improve. The problem with being a creative in today's society is rarely allowing multiple steps to your ultimate goal. I always thought, this next song, this next mix, this next loop is going to be my big break and instead of just enjoying myself and letting things happen organically, i expected to much out of myself. I wanted to get to the end before even sharing my gift with other people, learn from the experience, and earn the next steps. I drift away.
IMG_7604 2.jpeg

After discovering the reef tank lifestyle i felt the creative in me creep back in after leaving music behind. I had no idea what the pull was. I tried music again but that wasn't speaking to me, so I knew something else was brewing. Luckily as things opened back up after the Covid lockdown i was back in therapy. I discovered that i felt better after journaling and my therapist asked, "are you a writer?"
IMG_7615 3.jpeg

My immediate thought was, "no, i am not." The more i thought about it, the more i realized i was ready for the next thing and this is the doorway. I have never wrote more than a post or two on Myspace or a homework assignment that i begrudgingly halfhearted my way through and still found myself signing up for Reef2Reef. Writing has given me an outlet where i have no expectations, i dont believe i will be published, suddenly discovered, or be able to monetize my work. I now have a space to share my feelings, experiences, random thoughts, concerns, and a boatload of pictures that i hope my readers enjoy.

Be Creative, setup manageable goals, and experience your passion grow organically.

Enjoy the ride,

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incoming....Captive bred Yellow Tang has hit the water!!

I was so pleased that our LFS received these little guys in, $200 is rough but being captive bred makes me a happy camper. The one i brought home is see through, very dull yellow, only about two inches long, and full of energy. Welcome Samantha to the Two Tanked journey!
BIOTA YELLOW TANG.jpg

Very excited:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As expected with most new additions Sam must pass the dreaded Tomini Tangs wrath. Secret Sex Lips gave Sam all the tail wagging and chasing she could handle. After a couple days they settled in to each others company. Phew, some additions make me more nervous than others and after spending more money on a fish then i ever have it was a stressful one.

After a week she is just another member of the tank!
Week after addition.jpg

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad i'm not the only one that is obsessed.
It appears there are many of us out there in the wild :grinning-face-with-big-eyes:! Happy we found a place to talk about it. My family and friends were starting to look at me funny.

My family: "........"

Me - "Want to hear about the nitrogen cycle again?"

Thanks for stopping by, hope you are having a good day!

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals you miss more than others. I saw this brain coral and could not resist. I had a bit of a low salinity issue in the RSM S500. It dropped to 1.022, so i thought my coral bleaching may be caused by this. The low salinity was my fault, i did not calibrate my refractometer and did a large water change :face-with-rolling-eyes:. After correcting the problem over the next couple weeks, i thought the tank was ready...
IMG_7625 2.jpeg

Galaxy included,
IMG_7628 2.jpeg

Not just a beautiful brain, an Elegance has joined the tank.
IMG_7630 2.jpeg

Almost full tank shot,
FD0D2223-7799-4F09-B194-6F23813EF8AA_1_105_c.jpeg

Nice looking view,
A2C3C9F3-7C40-4455-B12E-8464CE616EC5_1_105_c.jpeg

I see you in the trench, Falcor! The Glass is a little dirty :thinking-face:
8F310098-4F8D-4672-B4C2-4448AFCEFA91_1_105_c.jpeg

Not a bad scene, Hello Sam,
IMG_7890 2.jpeg

Tiny new Rock Flower, can you spot it?
IMG_7899 2.jpeg

Healthy little things,
IMG_7898 2.jpeg

Momma clown aka Wilma is plumping up,
IMG_7936 2.jpeg

Sam is finally starting to color up. She was not muted and nearly see through for long!
IMG_7939 2.jpeg

Later days,

B-Kind

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals you miss more than others. I saw this brain coral and could not resist. I had a bit of a low salinity issue in the RSM S500. It dropped to 1.022, so i thought my coral bleaching may be caused by this. The low salinity was my fault, i did not calibrate my refractometer and did a large water change :face-with-rolling-eyes:. After correcting the problem over the next couple weeks, i thought the tank was ready...
IMG_7625 2.jpeg

Galaxy included,
IMG_7628 2.jpeg

Not just a beautiful brain, an Elegance has joined the tank.
IMG_7630 2.jpeg

Almost full tank shot,
FD0D2223-7799-4F09-B194-6F23813EF8AA_1_105_c.jpeg

Nice looking view,
A2C3C9F3-7C40-4455-B12E-8464CE616EC5_1_105_c.jpeg

I see you in the trench, Falcor! The Glass is a little dirty :thinking-face:
8F310098-4F8D-4672-B4C2-4448AFCEFA91_1_105_c.jpeg

Not a bad scene, Hello Sam,
IMG_7890 2.jpeg

Tiny new Rock Flower, can you spot it?
IMG_7899 2.jpeg

Healthy little things,
IMG_7898 2.jpeg

Momma clown aka Wilma is plumping up,
IMG_7936 2.jpeg

Sam is finally starting to color up. She was not muted and nearly see through for long!
IMG_7939 2.jpeg

Later days,

B-Kind
Great looking pictures!

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In early 2022 the Red Sea Max S-500 was really humming at the one year mark, so it’s time for an overall health update.
260C82FD-E58D-47E9-A8ED-6A4D645E6092.png

Stand: Stock with no current modifications

Sump: Stock 16-gallon glass sump. Mesh Red Sea filter sock (cleaned with water and sun dried =easy). 2 gallon boxes of MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia 1 1/2” Spheres spread throughout the sump. Refugium with Chaeto, two bowls of sand, with a ACKE LED grow light (sadly starting to rust)

Protein skimmer: Red Sea RSK 300 (still have not cleaned it since starting tank).

Carbon/phosphate filtration: occasional ROX .8 carbon ran for no longer than a week

Return pump: Sicce Syncra 5.0

Lighting: Three Aqua illumination 26HD running AB+ schedule reduced 35%, 12-hour program.

Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing equipment: Tropic Marin Carbo-Calcium powder mixed at 1 liter dosing 25ml a day ran for approximately 120 days, then switching to Tropic Marin All-For-Reef powder dosing 25ml a day for 40 days with a Jabeo 4 head doser pumping 2 times a day 15ml in morning and 10ml at night.

Auto top-off: Stock built in 7-gallon rear chamber with a mounted float valve in sump, gravity fed, approximate ¾ to 1 gallon evaporation a day.

Heating/cooling: Two 600-watt heaters one in sump, one in back chamber I cannot remember brand. One six-inch fan wrapped above tank for hot summer days

System control: None
296AE531-3444-4C31-B819-F505C83DB24F_1_105_c.jpeg

Water Parameters:

Temp:
Fall/Spring/Winter temps sticks at 77-78F. Summer, no house AC, fan for heat reduction, so heat fluctuates from 77-81F

pH: 8.2 test ran at LFS

Specific gravity: 35ppm

NO3: 20 mg/l (Red Sea test kit)

Ca: 420 ppm (Red Sea test kit)

Alk: 8.8-9.2 dKh (Hanna Alk checker)

Mg: Not tested and unknown

PO4: <0.1ppm

Ammonia and nitrites: Not tested, but assumed to be 0

The substrate…

120lbs Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand with an approximate 2” sand bed to start. Adding sand movers like a Tiger Pistol shrimp and Golden Head Sleeper Goby has caused my levels to drastically change around the tank. I have small 3”-4” areas now along with some almost bald spots that the Sleeper Goby maintains despite my best efforts to level out. Darn you Blue Cheeks…J/K you're one of the best fish! I am planning on placing another 20lbs of Ocean Direct sand to these bald spots as funds allow.

The Rock…

Approximately 80-90lbs of Marco Dry Rock to start along with one 11lbs piece of live rock for additional seeding. The rock is starting to color up nicely with coralline algae and I can no longer distinguish the rock from the cement used to hold them together. I love this aquascape. I am currently in the planning stage to add a few more pieces, strategically placed for additional hiding spots. The original rock has plenty of hiding space but I could definitely add a few more small fish with additional hideouts.
D0B66F15-6CA8-4F41-9C0C-1B3D15AA8926_1_105_c.jpeg

Local Residents…

Tomini Tang – Secret Sex Lips

Golden Head Sleeper Goby – Blue Cheeks

Yellow Clown Goby – Dinky Fish

Warpaint Clown Goby – Thing One

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse - William

Pink Striped Goby - Falcor

Two Spotted Clarkii Clownfish – bonded pair – Fred and Wilma (aka Big Momma)

Fiji Christmas Wrasse – Christmas

Two Skunk Cleaner Shrimp – weirdly nocturnal in the RSM

Tiger Pistol Shrimp – Seen on occasion hanging with Falcor in their cave system

Two Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone (split)

Green Bubble Tip Anemone

Porcelain Anemone Crab

Regarding coral, the tank is filled with SPS, LPS, and Softies. I do a terrible job noting what I have so I generally mark them when I remember, please enjoy the chaos of mystery!
IMG_7720.jpeg

I have been doing no water changes for six to seven months. Salt creep has started to become a bit of an annoyance, it has built up under/around the trim due to a small opening between the glass and the screen top does not help either. I still have all three stock pumps in the back overflow chamber with some issues turning on after power disruption but after a couple cycles on/off they have come back on, I need to get a backup soon when funds allow.
IMG_7934.jpeg

That covers the RSM S-500 at the one-year mark. I am excited to continue to share the evolution and challenges that are to come.

Later days my reefer friends!

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was brainstorming my first tank I only had two things in mind, a big pile of rock and skunk cleaner shrimp. I figured keeping many shrimp in a 30 some gallon would be amazing. In reality, after just a bit of research I discovered that housing many together beyond two just results in a murder scene. Luckily I had an LFS that pointed me in the right direction initially too. Or I may have dumped the hobby before I even truly began.

The pair I have had since starting the new RSM S500 have had a ton of babies. One night I was lucky enough to witness the hatch and thought I would share.
IMG-7913.jpg

This is just after lights out,
IMG-7917.jpg

That is one happy porcelain anemone crab,
IMG-7920.jpg

I do enjoy the invert life,

B-Kind

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was brainstorming my first tank I only had two things in mind, a big pile of rock and skunk cleaner shrimp. I figured keeping many shrimp in a 30 some gallon would be amazing. In reality, after just a bit of research I discovered that housing many together beyond two just results in a murder scene. Luckily I had an LFS that pointed me in the right direction initially too. Or I may have dumped the hobby before I even truly began.

The pair I have had since starting the new RSM S500 have had a ton of babies. One night I was lucky enough to witness the hatch and thought I would share.
IMG-7913.jpg

This is just after lights out,
IMG-7917.jpg

That is one happy porcelain anemone crab,
IMG-7920.jpg

I do enjoy the invert life,

B-Kind
love thiss! thanks for sharing

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reviewing my tank update at the one-year mark from a couple posts ago, I am feeling confident this tank is ready for the next big addition, it was time to buy my first Acro frags. The LFS just happened to return from ReefaPalooza with a fresh batch, so prices were not bad at $25 apiece.
IMG-7946.jpg

The discovery after adding Acro’s is that something in the tank was still off. The polyps never fully opened and they started to bleach quickly. Darn, it was worth a try. Discovering the trouble was a little harder. I ran through the usual suspects, nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, and even Magnesium but discovered no real ‘why’ behind the trouble. Why does my green Monti grow fine while the acro right next to it falls apart within a few weeks?
IMG-7949.jpg

Another interesting mystery… :thinking-face:
IMG-7951.jpg

At least my LPS, anemones, softies, and fish are happy. Sam my Yellow Tang is really starting to come into her own. She has come to realize that one day she will be the biggest fish in the tank, moving her quickly up the hierarchy.
IMG-7960 (2).jpg

Momma Clown still has some weight on her though,
IMG-7957 (2).jpg

The Elegance coral is a real beauty and a true work of art. There are times it’s hard to believe that it is a living animal.
IMG-7977 (2).jpg

My newest Rock flower Nem is finally big enough to register on camera, yay!
IMG-7981.jpg

Zooming in on a phone is a fool’s errand, but I love when I catch Falcor in the water column!
IMG-7990.jpg

Let’s talk about these Rainbow Bubble Tips of mine. My early understanding is that you should always feed your BTA’s at least once a month. Slicing small pieces of scallop or muscles to feed them was easy enough and the fish loved it too. The trouble I started running into was splits. At first, I was excited to have an extra anemone. I continued to feed. They split again. I continued to feed. They split again, and so on.
IMG-7998 (2).jpg

I stopped feeding once I had 5 anemone. All feeding did was cause them to split again and again so I continued my research. I found a couple long time anemone owners who had found no issues in cutting back their feeding. In fact, they do not feed them directly at all.
IMG-7996 (2).jpg

Great…now they tell me :rolleyes:
IMG-8022 (2).jpg

Later days my reefer friends,

B-Kind

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reviewing my tank update at the one-year mark from a couple posts ago, I am feeling confident this tank is ready for the next big addition, it was time to buy my first Acro frags. The LFS just happened to return from ReefaPalooza with a fresh batch, so prices were not bad at $25 apiece.
IMG-7946.jpg

The discovery after adding Acro’s is that something in the tank was still off. The polyps never fully opened and they started to bleach quickly. Darn, it was worth a try. Discovering the trouble was a little harder. I ran through the usual suspects, nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, and even Magnesium but discovered no real ‘why’ behind the trouble. Why does my green Monti grow fine while the acro right next to it falls apart within a few weeks?
IMG-7949.jpg

Another interesting mystery… :thinking-face:
IMG-7951.jpg

At least my LPS, anemones, softies, and fish are happy. Sam my Yellow Tang is really starting to come into her own. She has come to realize that one day she will be the biggest fish in the tank, moving her quickly up the hierarchy.
IMG-7960 (2).jpg

Momma Clown still has some weight on her though,
IMG-7957 (2).jpg

The Elegance coral is a real beauty and a true work of art. There are times it’s hard to believe that it is a living animal.
IMG-7977 (2).jpg

My newest Rock flower Nem is finally big enough to register on camera, yay!
IMG-7981.jpg

Zooming in on a phone is a fool’s errand, but I love when I catch Falcor in the water column!
IMG-7990.jpg

Let’s talk about these Rainbow Bubble Tips of mine. My early understanding is that you should always feed your BTA’s at least once a month. Slicing small pieces of scallop or muscles to feed them was easy enough and the fish loved it too. The trouble I started running into was splits. At first, I was excited to have an extra anemone. I continued to feed. They split again. I continued to feed. They split again, and so on.
IMG-7998 (2).jpg

I stopped feeding once I had 5 anemone. All feeding did was cause them to split again and again so I continued my research. I found a couple long time anemone owners who had found no issues in cutting back their feeding. In fact, they do not feed them directly at all.
IMG-7996 (2).jpg

Great…now they tell me :rolleyes:
IMG-8022 (2).jpg

Later days my reefer friends,

B-Kind
At least you went for it. I don't ever see sticks in my future. Mostly because, for me, I don't like that they always want stable conditions..... I like riding the easy train.

Tank is looking great!

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you went for it. I don't ever see sticks in my future. Mostly because, for me, I don't like that they always want stable conditions..... I like riding the easy train.

Tank is looking great!
Thank you so much, the RSM has really been coming to life lately. I certainly don’t like watching things die out, but I have not been afraid to experiment when I feel the tank can handle it. Taking on the challenge and being a bit stubborn are big parts of the hobby for me…:eek:

More sticks will hit the water, stay tuned!

B-Kind

P.S. Love your new tank profile, and I approve of the slow and steady approach! Going bigger is just good ol' fashion fun!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, the RSM has really been coming to life lately. I certainly don’t like watching things die out, but I have not been afraid to experiment when I feel the tank can handle it. Taking on the challenge and being a bit stubborn are big parts of the hobby for me…:eek:

More sticks will hit the water, stay tuned!

B-Kind

P.S. Love your new tank profile, and I approve of the slow and steady approach! Going bigger is just good ol' fashion fun!
Thanks! My husband just asked me the other day.. what all is left before I get it wet. ::::keeping minds out of the gutter:::::
He added he is just really ready to see it in action. I must being going ultra slow if even he is getting impatient with the process of my tank :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My husband just asked me the other day.. what all is left before I get it wet. ::::keeping minds out of the gutter:::::
He added he is just really ready to see it in action. I must being going ultra slow if even he is getting impatient with the process of my tank :grinning-squinting-face:
Season 2 S2 GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Ha! It took me 8 months of cleaning/prep/setup. Then i did almost a three month cycle, lets just say my wife was unimpressed with the gurgling 135 gallon dry rock aquarium.......

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back