OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the RSM S500 gets a good amount of attention on my blog. The Biocube 32 gets most of my husbandry at home. There seems to be some truth being provided when people say to start with the biggest tank you can afford. The startup on a bigger tank can certainly be overwhelming for the first six months or so for a beginner but once it finds a groove the overall husbandry will dwindle.
IMG_0521.jpg

What I have found as a major factor in this information is, A. The filtration system can be more robust and B. The bigger environment allows you to have utility fish that take some of the work out of your hands. More tangs, blennies, wrasse, and gobies will do the work for you between algae management, pest management, and sand management.
img_0526-jpg.3540919

A real-world example would be my Golden Head Sleeper Goby, Blue Cheeks. Blue Cheeks was one of the first fish I bought for the RSM S500. Long before the tank matured he was busy cleaning my sand. My wife and family absolutely loved watching him work. After three years of rearranging my sand bed he sadly passed away. This came as a shock because it was showing no signs of disease, had a full belly, and was eating normally. Within 24 hours he was gone and was removed right away. The only noticeable damage on his right gill was a red spot but its hard to say if that was the cause.
IMG_1661.jpg

Once Blue Cheeks past, the sand bed began to change. For three years I have not had to stir, blow, or vacuum the sand bed and it remained white and healthy. Within a month the sand started to show signs of algae and detritus build up. And sure enough I am back in the tank working through the extra husbandry to keep the sand bed white and healthy.
IMG_0730.jpg

I still have a half year of pictures to get through before his passing to remain true to my timeline, so please enjoy the remaining pics of Blue Cheeks, he was one heck of a fish!
IMG_0480.jpg

Depending on how you look at your husbandry the work that must be done can be a chore or labor of love. I choose the latter. So even though I spend extra time on the BC32, I feel more connected to it. Part of this could be due to it being my first reef but I digress.
IMG_0532.jpg

The BC32 has one utility fish, a small aiptasia eating filefish. After my rigorous cleaning of the rocks with hydrogen peroxide somehow or another the aiptasia returned. I ended up having this guy in the tank for about six months because once the aiptasia were gone it turned to my Paly’s, so he had to go!
IMG_0529.jpg

Bonus pic of the day, a mouth brooding father…
IMG_0533.jpg

Later days,

B-Kind

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the RSM S500 gets a good amount of attention on my blog. The Biocube 32 gets most of my husbandry at home. There seems to be some truth being provided when people say to start with the biggest tank you can afford. The startup on a bigger tank can certainly be overwhelming for the first six months or so for a beginner but once it finds a groove the overall husbandry will dwindle.
IMG_0521.jpg

What I have found as a major factor in this information is, A. The filtration system can be more robust and B. The bigger environment allows you to have utility fish that take some of the work out of your hands. More tangs, blennies, wrasse, and gobies will do the work for you between algae management, pest management, and sand management.
img_0526-jpg.3540919

A real-world example would be my Golden Head Sleeper Goby, Blue Cheeks. Blue Cheeks was one of the first fish I bought for the RSM S500. Long before the tank matured he was busy cleaning my sand. My wife and family absolutely loved watching him work. After three years of rearranging my sand bed he sadly passed away. This came as a shock because it was showing no signs of disease, had a full belly, and was eating normally. Within 24 hours he was gone and was removed right away. The only noticeable damage on his right gill was a red spot but its hard to say if that was the cause.
IMG_1661.jpg

Once Blue Cheeks past, the sand bed began to change. For three years I have not had to stir, blow, or vacuum the sand bed and it remained white and healthy. Within a month the sand started to show signs of algae and detritus build up. And sure enough I am back in the tank working through the extra husbandry to keep the sand bed white and healthy.
IMG_0730.jpg

I still have a half year of pictures to get through before his passing to remain true to my timeline, so please enjoy the remaining pics of Blue Cheeks, he was one heck of a fish!
IMG_0480.jpg

Depending on how you look at your husbandry the work that must be done can be a chore or labor of love. I choose the latter. So even though I spend extra time on the BC32, I feel more connected to it. Part of this could be due to it being my first reef but I digress.
IMG_0532.jpg

The BC32 has one utility fish, a small aiptasia eating filefish. After my rigorous cleaning of the rocks with hydrogen peroxide somehow or another the aiptasia returned. I ended up having this guy in the tank for about six months because once the aiptasia were gone it turned to my Paly’s, so he had to go!
IMG_0529.jpg

Bonus pic of the day, a mouth brooding father…
IMG_0533.jpg

Later days,

B-Kind
Sorry for the loss of your goby, beautiful fish. Your tank looks great.

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss of your goby, beautiful fish. Your tank looks great.

I always appreciate the kind words! For a long time i would move the sand back so it looked even after Blue Cheeks rearranged it into piles or on top of my corals. Once i let this obsession go, the sand piles and overall engineering just added more interest in the tank. It is their home, sometimes you just have to let it go.

I will definitely be getting another Golden Head Sleeper Goby when funds allow. The wife demands it!

B-Kind

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always appreciate the kind words! For a long time i would move the sand back so it looked even after Blue Cheeks rearranged it into piles or on top of my corals. Once i let this obsession go, the sand piles and overall engineering just added more interest in the tank. It is their home, sometimes you just have to let it go.

I will definitely be getting another Golden Head Sleeper Goby when funds allow. The wife demands it!

B-Kind
I know all about the sandscape, I’ve had a diamond watchman goby for 2 years. So much fun to watch. Best of luck!

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love taking pictures of my reefs! You just never know what moment you can freeze frame to share and look back on. Ask my wife just how long it takes me to find pictures of friends and family between the hundreds of reef pics and you folks will still believe, I am obsessed :thinking-face:

Do you ever attempt to get an updated coral pic and curious fish constantly come into view?

Hi Dinky fish,
IMG_0561.jpg

Hi Fang 1,
IMG_0558.jpg

…And there we go, Devils hand leather, anybody remember how tiny this thing was?
IMG_0557.jpg

Aww rock flower snuggles!
IMG_0568.jpg

Top down during a late-night water change, I must remove that darn base it came on lol,
IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

They grow up so fast…
IMG_0580.jpg

Early morning favia is hungry,
IMG_0597.jpg

Big Red’s whisker game has come a long way in the ol’ BC32,
IMG_0605.jpg

Speaking of the BC32, lets play a game of…FIND THAT FISH……..GO!
IMG_0608.jpg

Goodnight kisses from a giant Turbo snail,
IMG_0613.jpg

And finally, a grumpy Mr. Crabs so rudely interrupted from his breakfast,
IMG_0626.jpg

Later days,

B-Kind

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love taking pictures of my reefs! You just never know what moment you can freeze frame to share and look back on. Ask my wife just how long it takes me to find pictures of friends and family between the hundreds of reef pics and you folks will still believe, I am obsessed :thinking-face:

Do you ever attempt to get an updated coral pic and curious fish constantly come into view?

Hi Dinky fish,
IMG_0561.jpg

Hi Fang 1,
IMG_0558.jpg

…And there we go, Devils hand leather, anybody remember how tiny this thing was?
IMG_0557.jpg

Aww rock flower snuggles!
IMG_0568.jpg

Top down during a late-night water change, I must remove that darn base it came on lol,
IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

They grow up so fast…
IMG_0580.jpg

Early morning favia is hungry,
IMG_0597.jpg

Big Red’s whisker game has come a long way in the ol’ BC32,
IMG_0605.jpg

Speaking of the BC32, lets play a game of…FIND THAT FISH……..GO!
IMG_0608.jpg

Goodnight kisses from a giant Turbo snail,
IMG_0613.jpg

And finally, a grumpy Mr. Crabs so rudely interrupted from his breakfast,
IMG_0626.jpg

Later days,

B-Kind
I’m with you, I have to do a lot of scrolling to find a picture not related to my tank!

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with you, I have to do a lot of scrolling to find a picture not related to my tank!

"You should check out my trip to Colorado we had a blast, here i have some pictures......."

::Scrolling::

and

and

and.....

...you know what i will send them to you later" :anxious-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to my first frag swap with some money in my pocket and bright colors on my mind, the Fall Mid-Coast Maine Coral Frag Swap presented by Corals Unlimited. I was able to secure six healthy beautiful frags, placed them around the tank, and proceeded to lose almost all of them within a few months. Two frags remained after the crash and started to recover.

Now several months removed the Favia and Blasto are filling in.
IMG_0624.jpg

img_0731.jpg

My luck with mushroom corals has been up and down. But saw a couple nice pieces with light price tags so I thought I would give them another try.
IMG_0630.jpg

Late night water change on the reef; ‘As above, So below’
IMG_0664.jpg

Still have an affinity towards inverts and since my clean up crew needed a refresh, I thought it is time to try something new. PS: Reefcleaners.org (@reefcleaners ) has been a very good vendor and after three successful shipments, fair pricing, and some excellent communication throughout I will continue to give them my business!

‘Hello Spider Conch…’
IMG_0680.jpg

The biocube may have its troubles with algae but I have really enjoyed the maturity. Apparently, I have interrupted the Scarlet Hermits meeting of the minds :thinking-face:
IMG_0689.jpg

Ah another hard to see pic of my mystery Goby. I have been meaning to chat with my LFS about what kind of specimen this is again but keep forgetting. All I know is they are rare in the hobby and it seems to be nocturnal.
IMG_0695.jpg

Falcor protecting his burrow.
IMG_0723.jpg

My Zoa garden is a bit of a mess thanks to my sleeper goby and pistol shrimp. But it sure is pretty…
IMG_0724.jpg

Another coral on the mend, I am just so happy to see this Acan with new heads popping up.
IMG_0728.jpg

A happy Deresa clam,
IMG_0729.jpg

Blue Cheeks and Gizmo, an unlikely pair.
IMG_0730.jpg

Later days my reefer friends!

B-Kind

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to my first frag swap with some money in my pocket and bright colors on my mind, the Fall Mid-Coast Maine Coral Frag Swap presented by Corals Unlimited. I was able to secure six healthy beautiful frags, placed them around the tank, and proceeded to lose almost all of them within a few months. Two frags remained after the crash and started to recover.

Now several months removed the Favia and Blasto are filling in.
IMG_0624.jpg

img_0731.jpg

My luck with mushroom corals has been up and down. But saw a couple nice pieces with light price tags so I thought I would give them another try.
IMG_0630.jpg

Late night water change on the reef; ‘As above, So below’
IMG_0664.jpg

Still have an affinity towards inverts and since my clean up crew needed a refresh, I thought it is time to try something new. PS: Reefcleaners.org (@reefcleaners ) has been a very good vendor and after three successful shipments, fair pricing, and some excellent communication throughout I will continue to give them my business!

‘Hello Spider Conch…’
IMG_0680.jpg

The biocube may have its troubles with algae but I have really enjoyed the maturity. Apparently, I have interrupted the Scarlet Hermits meeting of the minds :thinking-face:
IMG_0689.jpg

Ah another hard to see pic of my mystery Goby. I have been meaning to chat with my LFS about what kind of specimen this is again but keep forgetting. All I know is they are rare in the hobby and it seems to be nocturnal.
IMG_0695.jpg

Falcor protecting his burrow.
IMG_0723.jpg

My Zoa garden is a bit of a mess thanks to my sleeper goby and pistol shrimp. But it sure is pretty…
IMG_0724.jpg

Another coral on the mend, I am just so happy to see this Acan with new heads popping up.
IMG_0728.jpg

A happy Deresa clam,
IMG_0729.jpg

Blue Cheeks and Gizmo, an unlikely pair.
IMG_0730.jpg

Later days my reefer friends!

B-Kind
Sorry about the coral losses but the ones that you have are stunning! :star-struck:

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the coral losses but the ones that you have are stunning! :star-struck:
Well thank you very much!!! stability is a beautiful thing :cool:

Water change, water change, and more water changes has transformed my tanks. Approximate 8% of volume a week for both the RSM and BC. Costs less to just keep doing water changes and dose Carbo-Calcium in the RSM then anything i was trying before with a no water change system.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you very much!!! stability is a beautiful thing :cool:

Water change, water change, and more water changes has transformed my tanks. Approximate 8% of volume a week for both the RSM and BC. Costs less to just keep doing water changes and dose Carbo-Calcium in the RSM then anything i was trying before with a no water change system.
12% weekly religiously for me.

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to check in on a new series called, ‘Dirty Glass and Night Vibes.’
IMG_0780.jpg

The BC32 continues its recovery from the hydrogen peroxide scrub to eliminate the Bryopsis scourge. I am encouraged by the return of coralline algae.
IMG_0805.jpg

My two clowns Mocha and Spike still don’t like each other much. At best they tolerate each other’s existence. They are about 4 years old, and Mocha is the female. I finally scooped out a nem for them from the RSM S-500 and Spike is starting to figure out that they are friend not foe but Mocha is still living next to the lower overflow like a weirdo…
IMG_0794.jpg

After reviewing the pics for my post today I struggled picking just one or two from this clown series. I certainly don’t want any of my readers to get bored…haha :face-with-hand-over-mouth:. And in the end when the clowns are showing off for the camera I might as well share it with my fellow reefers!
IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

A face only a mother can love…. :eek: Sorry Mocha you are always so grumpy and give me nibbles when I’m trying to keep your environment clean, so you deserve a little hazing.
IMG_0820.jpg

And a quick check in with my mouth brooding Cardinal duo enjoying the trench life.
IMG_0785.jpg

…While Big Red continues what they do best, clean up,
IMG_0784.jpg

Back over with the RSM its time for a quick coral check in.
IMG_0733.jpg

Zoom with a cell phone never works out great for corals deeper in the tank especially under the evening lighting so we get to admire my happy little Pocillopora frag from afar. I love that it looks like a strange little bonsai tree growing on the reef.
IMG_0738.jpg

Oh Gizmo, you are such a cool little fish :star-struck:. Thank you for keeping my back wall clean!
IMG_0761.jpg

Another beautiful 78 degree and sunny day ends on the reef.

Later days,

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some more 'night vibes' from the RSM S-500?

Gizmo my not so Black Blenny has such a dopey character,
IMG_0840.jpg

Oh and have i mentioned lately that I LOVE FAT FISH AND I CANNOT LIE!
IMG_0847.jpg

The scene with a grumpy momma clown,
IMG_0856.jpg

More Gizmo!
IMG_0861.jpg

Trying to catch the darn Christmas wrasse on camera with a iphone is near impossible, blah.
IMG_0865.jpg

Our Yellow Tang however shows off for the camera :star-struck:
IMG_0870.jpg

A little closer...
IMG_0880.jpg

This post should be labeled, Catching Christmas,
IMG_0884.jpg

Happy Friday and later days,

B-Kind

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back