Two XR15 Pros and two Nero 5 or MP40s for 3 ft. Long 16” Deep 45 Gallon?

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on whether the two XR15 Pros will be sufficient for an SPS dominant tank? Dimensions are 36x18x16 (pictured below). Leaning Nero 5s for flow because I like the wider flow pattern, and I think they look a lot better and are easier to clean. Fish getting sucked in less of a concern with the guard they ship with now. I had Nero pumps in the past and they worked great, and take up less space on the controller board which is a consideration for my setup. Just wondering if I go with either the Vortech or AI power heads whether they’ll be too powerful with this shallow of a sand bed. I’ll be using Caribsea Special Grade which I haven’t used before, about a 1-2” sand bed. I want strong flow but don’t want sand being blown around excessively. Prefer not to go with gyre style power heads. Also will be running an APEX so the separate apps are not a concern. Any anecdotal experiences or thoughts are appreciated!

14F64DB2-B70B-4FA9-B8EC-D6934AB2CA01.jpeg 00B2E0BC-BCDE-4E07-B608-273758C7F19E.jpeg 0860C76A-D3A9-4048-A267-E545D8DC11A6.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer is yes. With respect to powerheads, Vortechs all the way. You can control either via Mobius (so you'll only need the one app), but the vast majority of people I know who bought Neros wish they'd bought the Vortechs instead.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer is yes. With respect to powerheads, Vortechs all the way. You can control either via Mobius (so you'll only need the one app), but the vast majority of people I know who bought Neros wish they'd bought the Vortechs instead.
Mobius is Ecotech’s app that runs the lights and the power heads yeah? Would I even use that once the Apex is controlling everything? Forgive my ignorance, not super familiar with the controller or Mobius.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, i run nero5 in my 75, with 2 in a tank that size you would probably be fine with nero3's. They do move a to of water in a small footprint. I like vortecs but for the money AI has them beat. 2xr15s is prob plenty.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobius is Ecotech’s app that runs the lights and the power heads yeah? Would I even use that once the Apex is controlling everything? Forgive my ignorance, not super familiar with the controller or Mobius.
Yes it is. And you would - unless you get the Neptune MXM module (which I don't recommend). All the Apex can do is toggle the power to your lights/powerheads on and off - which is fine for the most part.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, i run nero5 in my 75, with 2 in a tank that size you would probably be fine with nero3's. They do move a to of water in a small footprint. I like vortecs but for the money AI has them beat. 2xr15s is prob plenty.
I appreciate it. You find that level of flow sufficient for a full SPS tank? I figured I’d be running them low like 20-40%, then once things grow out I have power on standby. Another consideration was I have 1/2” glass, the MP10s won’t stick. Not sure about Nero 3s but I know the 5s have the magnet upgrade.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. And you would - unless you get the Neptune MXM module (which I don't recommend). All the Apex can do is toggle the power to your lights/powerheads on and off - which is fine for the most part.
I was planning on going with the MXM module. Could you elaborate on why you would advise against that?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on going with the MXM module. Could you elaborate on why you would advise against that?
Just do a search on R2R and carefully read back through all the feedback from current MXM users. Lights and powerheads aren't necessarily two types of equipment that you need remote control over anyway.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do a search on R2R and carefully read back through all the feedback from current MXM users. Lights and powerheads aren't necessarily two types of equipment that you need remote control over anyway.
Will do. Thanks man. Appreciate the heads up!

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to clarify, were you saying too much power and to go with smaller power heads or that I’m good to go with MP40s tuned down?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to clarify, were you saying too much power and to go with smaller power heads or that I’m good to go with MP40s tuned down?
There have been no end of problems with Nero 3s recently, so I'd be looking at the Nero 5s at a minimum if you decide go that route. But honestly, since they're owned by the same company you might as well just go with the better MP40s (and dial them down as needed).

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Thanks man. Appreciate the heads up!
If you go with XR15 lights, MP40s and vectra pump you will have everything controlled on mobius app. I have similar size 65g tank. Mixed reef with 38 SPS corals on top. The XR15 lights are weak. I run them at 100% intensity on the AB plus setting for 350 par few inches below the surface. The MP40s ramp up to 26% intensity on reefcrest mode and it is plenty for SPS along with not blasting my LPS or softs.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it. You find that level of flow sufficient for a full SPS tank? I figured I’d be running them low like 20-40%, then once things grow out I have power on standby. Another consideration was I have 1/2” glass, the MP10s won’t stick. Not sure about Nero 3s but I know the 5s have the magnet upgrade.
Yeah, that is a good idea, 2 5's and run em low. They do have a little bigger spread than the 3s. In my 4 foot tank on pulse mode one nero 5 can make a standing wave the whole length of the tank turned up. With regards to programming, i agree with others, the built in app is super simple and flexible. I would use it for scheduling and another module just to make sure it hasnt failed.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with XR15 lights, MP40s and vectra pump you will have everything controlled on mobius app. I have similar size 65g tank. Mixed reef with 38 SPS corals on top. The XR15 lights are weak. I run them at 100% intensity on the AB plus setting for 350 par few inches below the surface. The MP40s ramp up to 26% intensity on reefcrest mode and it is plenty for SPS along with not blasting my LPS or softs.
So you think I’d be better off going with the XR30 Pros instead and just running them lower?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think I’d be better off going with the XR30 Pros instead and just running them lower?
Well that's a pricey option . My tank is 36x22x22 and I have good success with SPS in the top 3rd of the tank. Some pieces are only a few inches down so you can grow SPS with XR15s on your tank but don't be surprised if you end up 100% intensity like I'm running.

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's a pricey option . My tank is 36x22x22 and I have good success with SPS in the top 3rd of the tank. Some pieces are only a few inches down so you can grow SPS with XR15s on your tank but don't be surprised if you end up 100% intensity like I'm running.
Much appreciated. Going with the XR30s. Thank you!

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this helps, I have Red Sea Reefer 250, similar as in the display is 52gal and 3feet. For lights I have 2 Xr15 pro on the outside and Mitras LX7 in the middle (similar to XR30). One light per foot of the tank, better coverage. You can start with 2 XR15 and add XR30 etc… later.
For flow I have 2 MP40, again you can start with one and add second later, once the corals start to grow.
For return I used to use the Vectra S1, unfortunately they are not that reliable so now I am using Maxspect JUMP DC 6K, bit bulky but still fits and bit cheaper. I did lot of searching and unless you want to spend $$$$$ on Abyzz all other DC pumps appear to be made in China (Sicce Syncra SDC might be exception as well).

OP
OP
LilElroyJetson

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this helps, I have Red Sea Reefer 250, similar as in the display is 52gal and 3feet. For lights I have 2 Xr15 pro on the outside and Mitras LX7 in the middle (similar to XR30). One light per foot of the tank, better coverage. You can start with 2 XR15 and add XR30 etc… later.
For flow I have 2 MP40, again you can start with one and add second later, once the corals start to grow.
For return I used to use the Vectra S1, unfortunately they are not that reliable so now I am using Maxspect JUMP DC 6K, bit bulky but still fits and bit cheaper. I did lot of searching and unless you want to spend $$$$$ on Abyzz all other DC pumps appear to be made in China (Sicce Syncra SDC might be exception as well).
Super helpful response. I appreciate it. So I decided I’m just gonna go two XR30s up front, and can add a third later if necessary but probably will not be. Going to go with the two MP40s up front as well. And coincidentally, I’m going Sicce Syncra 3.0 dual return pumps. They *just* fit my sump return chamber. Think I’ll be really happy with this setup.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back