Type of acrylic

reefsquared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I used any type of acrylic for an overflow cover or do I need to use a certain type?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use any type, but acrylic will warp and you'll have to keep flipping it over.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use any type, but acrylic will warp and you'll have to keep flipping it over.
+1 acrylic for a lid is a pain in the butt. Cell cast is what's usually used for aquariums. Extruded is a little cheaper and Lexon is more expensive bit is way more scratch resistant than the others and way tougher

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lexan is a band name of polycarbonate. polycarbonate is way MORE prone to scratching than acrylic.

+1 acrylic for a lid is a pain in the butt. Cell cast is what's usually used for aquariums. Extruded is a little cheaper and Lexon is more expensive bit is way more scratch resistant than the others and way tougher

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lexan is a band name of polycarbonate. polycarbonate is way MORE prone to scratching than acrylic.
Yes it is a name brand but it is what poly wind shields are made of due to it much hid her scratch resistance and a lot tougher than cast or extruded

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, windshields (and such) are sometimes made out of polycarbonate because of how impact resistant they are. not because they scratch less easily. there are certain types of polycarbonate that have scratch resistant coatings, but the the sheets are costly. so simply saying polycarbonate is less prone to scratch compared to acrylic is not a true statement. besides, polycarbonate isn't used as often as acrylic in this industry.

Yes it is a name brand but it is what poly wind shields are made of due to it much hid her scratch resistance and a lot tougher than cast or extruded

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry op apparently Lexon poly isn't as scratch resistant as acrylic however we were talking about building an overflow cover not an entire tank so my thought was you might be able to pick up a scrap piece from an acrylic supplier maybe Cromag08 has a suggestion

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah for an overflow cover, scratching isn't really a big concern and polycarbonate would be a better choice than acrylic.

Sorry op apparently Lexon poly isn't as scratch resistant as acrylic however we were talking about building an overflow cover not an entire tank so my thought was you might be able to pick up a scrap piece from an acrylic supplier maybe Cromag08 has a suggestion

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah for an overflow cover, scratching isn't really a big concern and polycarbonate would be a better choice than acrylic.
Cromag08 I do have a question for you is poly less like to warp when used in this way than acrylic

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's why I said its a better option for this purpose. polycarbonate absorbs less water because it has a higher water content.

Cromag08 I do have a question for you is poly less like to warp when used in this way than acrylic

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back