Type of Torch coral advice requested

Pico Perfect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new to torch corals and am seeking some guidance.

I have a home tank and an office tank. I'm looking for a torch coral for the office tank.

I know that many corals really pop under blue lighting. But the key aspect is that this tank will always be viewed under white lighting. Given that, I'm looking for suggestions on some torch corals that will have at least some color in white lighting.

Thanks in advance!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new to torch corals and am seeking some guidance.

I have a home tank and an office tank. I'm looking for a torch coral for the office tank.

I know that many corals really pop under blue lighting. But the key aspect is that this tank will always be viewed under white lighting. Given that, I'm looking for suggestions on some torch corals that will have at least some color in white lighting.

Thanks in advance!
Why is the tank only white lighting? Even when on the whiter side of the spectrum, you should still have some blue or actinic lighting with it. So long as you have some blue light, even if the overall spectrum is on the whiter side, corals will still fluoresce, they won’t be like black light poster neon, but the brighter colors will still pop. A lot of reefers still prefer whiter lights, but they generally all still supplement with some blue (although these days even 15k is considered ‘white’). Personally, I like some white light (for my lights, I have the blues at 100% and the whites at 60%).

As far as picking a torch, I would just pick one that you like the colors of, I don’t think one is going to look better under white light vs another, it’s completely subjective and depends on what you like. You can ask the LFS (if that’s where you plan on buying it) to put it under white light to see what it looks like).

View Badges
Why is the tank only white lighting? Even when on the whiter side of the spectrum, you should still have some blue or actinic lighting with it. So long as you have some blue light, even if the overall spectrum is on the whiter side, corals will still fluoresce, they won’t be like black light poster neon, but the brighter colors will still pop. A lot of reefers still prefer whiter lights, but they generally all still supplement with some blue (although these days even 15k is considered ‘white’). Personally, I like some white light (for my lights, I have the blues at 100% and the whites at 60%).

As far as picking a torch, I would just pick one that you like the colors of, I don’t think one is going to look better under white light vs another, it’s completely subjective and depends on what you like. You can ask the LFS (if that’s where you plan on buying it) to put it under white light to see what it looks like).

maybe he’s asking because he’s looking online wysiwyg or something and is worried it’ll look totally different.

xinyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very neon green torches will still be super green even under a phone flashlight light. Gold torches look less golden more purple with gold under very blueless light

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back