takes a while though

anyone have a more efficient way?

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five gallons a week on my 50.
I just throw a heater in the 5gallon bucket, siphon out the water and siphons the sand bed and the. Just dump the five gallon bucket into the tank. Probably not good to just dump it all in in less than 30 seconds... but no problems so fat

OP
OP
eliramos

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol yea probably not its probably ok for you cuz you have so much more volume i think it would be too much of a shock if i did that

jiungerich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 gallon and I am experience STN from the base of sps and cant figure out the cause. I never thought about my WCs being the cause. I do about a 4 gallon WC every week. would this cause coral to turn pale as well?

I am also just syphoning water out and then dumping RO into the back chamber with a milk jug.

Last edited:

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g my self and do weekly 5g WC's I just mix up my water throw in a heater let it come to a match then syphon is right back it I have a complicated way of doing it. I don't use a pump or anything. Just a hose and create a syphon and let is drain slowly into the tank.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank
I do a 5 gallon water change two Wednesday
Sunday I do a 15 gallon water change.
I siphon out the water with a 1.5 hose takes 20secs to drain 5 gallons.
Then I pump in the water from my 30 gallon storage tank with a rio 3600 takes a few mins...
Every now and then I pump water out of the sump to clean it.
I use a maxijet hooked to a hose when I do do that

lakers4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 34 gal RSM130D, I do 4 gal water change every 2 weeks, it's 8 months old, I used to do weekly changed. Just be sure that your protein skimmer is working well and protein skimmer and mechanical filter cleaned 2x a week.

OP
OP
eliramos

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 gallon and I am experience STN from the base of sps and cant figure out the cause. I never thought about my WCs being the cause. I do about a 4 gallon WC every week. would this cause coral to turn pale as well?

I am also just syphoning water out and then dumping RO into the back chamber with a milk jug.

I don't believe you're supposed to switch salt for fresh
You're probably causing your salinity to plummet you should only add r.o to top off for evaporated water.
When saltwater evaporates it leaves behind the salt
Which raises the salinity so you add r.o to keep it stable and in such small confines your water parameters can swing in minutes.

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 29 gal I am doing a 5 gal water change every week to week and a half. I just siphon the water out from chambers 1 and 3 removing as much detritus from bottom of each chamber. Then I replace fresh 5 gallons that has been acclimated to my room temperature into chamber 1.
It takes me only ten minutes to complete.

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 24g aquapod I did 5 gallons every week. When I had my 3g pico I did 0.5 gallons twice a week.

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallons a week should be perfect. dont mix or change brands of salt and make sure your temp. is always stable within a couple degrees. my nano was such a chore constantly monitoring water parameters. y advise would be that when you see the tissue dying back....cut away the good stuff cause it usually kills my entire acro, even if its just a realy slow death. i have been trying to keep this one alive for about 3 to 4 weeks now and even though the piece i cut away and placed on a disk is doing great, the other part of the colony has just slowly fading away.

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a brute trash can on casters with a spare pump. I'm never lifting buckets again.

I change 5 gallons every other week. I have a 20 gallon DT with a DIY 10 sump.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siphon 1g out of my 12g nano into a bucket and pour in fresh saltwater from a jug once a week. I use purified seawater so it takes 5 minutes. I clean the sponges and other filter medium in the old water.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • D/C

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Both

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 18.2%
Back