Uh oh it's Nuisance Algae Man! How often does he terrorize you?

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 291 43.4%
  • Every Month

Votes: 38 5.7%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 88 13.1%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 93 13.9%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 65 9.7%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 30 4.5%
  • Never.....(are you lying?)

Votes: 42 6.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 24 3.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today let's talk about the arch enemy and evil nemesis of all reef aquarium hobbyists, Nuisance Algae Man!

We all get algae from time to time but for some of you (me) it may seem like "Algae Man" is terrorizing you all the time! But is this normal? Is this something to be expected in this hobby? Let's poll the audience and see how often they have to fight algae issues in their saltwater reef aquarium!

1. How often do you have some type of algae issue?

2. What types of algae seem to be the most problem for you?

3. How long do you think it's possible to go without an algae problem?

PS. Maybe I should make this into a shirt! HA!
algae man monster 2.jpg

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 4 months old and luckily I haven't had to deal with major algae problems (yet). Did have diatoms that passed very quickly and have very little nuisance algae on rocks, do have a little but nothing concerning that needs me to interfere with it.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone has algae. However some people keep up with it more with manual removal or cuc. I personally use algae turf scrubber to limit mine. Grow it somewhere other than your dt is my thought on it. I feed way too much so I will always have it but it doesn’t bother me because tank maintenance isn’t a chore for me it’s my me time.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 fowlr, let the algae grow. Pull out once a month and a waterchange. No pod issues for dragonet. Just overflow issues sometimes when fish yank it up to get that one morsel.

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I ve been lucky enough to only have hair algae once, and it got pretty bad. It wasnt until someone suggested Fluconazole that it got wiped out. Have used it on both tanks with 100% success. I know it doesnt work on everything tho, and Im sure its only a matter of time

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t really say algae has been an issue for me even with multiple tanks
I tend to stay ahead with clean up crew, good light settings- and keeping tanks away from anywhere near windows

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems with hair algae or other green algae. My CUC and tangs pretty much take care of that. If you look in my overflow (where they can't get to) you will see all kinds of algae(mainly GHA and bubble algae) but not in the DT. I do have ongoing minor issues with diatoms and can't seem to track down the source of my silicates being elevated.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a young tank. My rocks are still covered in hard green algae and I had a bunch of Ulva growing in the DT. I upped my CUC and that went away. The hard green algae is steadily going away and coraline is growing. Now all I need to do is figure out the diatoms in the edge of my sand bed and glass. I rarely have to clean my glass. CUC does that for me. Coraline just popped up on the rear glass. I will be scraping that off tonight. Fuge is growing ulva and chaeto very well and all my numbers are pretty steady.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a large fuge and algae scrubber. Currently, all my algae is dying and it's sending my nitrates over 40. Too little algae was a problem I never thought I'd have....

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually have an issue in the summer time due to it being warmer and just never enough cuc. My display is good with only a few issues here and there. The frag tank that’s connected to the display is a different beast and is still in its newer stage of life. But with that making sure the Frags are clean and making sure things are stable is what my concern is. I’m fighting a phosphate issue right now but it’s going down slowly.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose "other" because really it's only been an issue when starting a new tank for me.
Also once when I let my nutrients get too low on my nano (got the dreaded dinos).

Chrysophyte and Dinos (do we even count these as algae?)

Once you get past the new tank syndrome, have a good clean up crew, and good maintenance routine, I think the problem can be avoided.

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did... once. Then I added an urchin. He is an algae bulldozer! Add an urchin along with a few tangs, let the coraline cover your rocks, and algae just isn't as big of an issue. This tank is 1.5 years old, and algae hasn't really been a problem. #1 urchin fan right here! (though he does like to carry snails around on his back :D)

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about the arch enemy and evil nemesis of all reef aquarium hobbyists, Nuisance Algae Man!

We all get algae from time to time but for some of you (me) it may seem like "Algae Man" is terrorizing you all the time! But is this normal? Is this something to be expected in this hobby? Let's poll the audience and see how often they have to fight algae issues in their saltwater reef aquarium!

Everyday in 2020
Green hair aglae, dinos
Based off my experience. It's impossible.

SEND HELP!

algae man monster 2.jpg

Dinos and Green hair algae religiously all 2020 =[ SEND HELP

Last edited:

just4kicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so much GHA and Aptasia that I am ready to take out all the rock, cook it and start over unless someone can help me find a solution to get rid of it all.

16010550710087120997996260550699.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do my best to grow algae in my sump. I currently have a heavily modified Skimz reactor that is doing the work. Other than growing algae I am very consistent on maintenance and water changes so no read algae issues.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for 5 years and in the first three years it's seen them all. For the last two years it's been on cruise control with no major algae problems. Now the only one that pops up once and a while is a little Cyano. If I don't do anything it will eventually go away on it's own, usually within a month or so. In lieu of waiting I run some Chemiclean and it's gone in a couple of days. Running an ATS and a good CUC has helped immensely in keeping my tank algae free.
For me the algae that was really a pain to get rid of was turf algae. Eventually I needed to do a back to back treatment of Flucanozole to rid the tank of that.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

algae man monster 2.jpg
I'd love to get that algae guy as a sticker lol

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back