Uk cold water rock pool

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have oysters here and plenty of them but that would mean plankton full time or they die but they do filter water very well. Keep me updated on your cold water experience. Good thinking from you about ice packs I appreciate it. Thanks again . There’s only one Anemone I am still looking for it’s called a strawberry Anemone how hard it is to find is another thing.
Ive seen them dotted around but they’re not easy to come across IME.
You’ll likely find them surfacing during summer as that’s when I’ve found most animals come into rock pools. Likely due to good sources thriving better and being easier to catch.
I didn’t dare to try a living bivalve, I already struggle with my two Tridacna species in the main tank. This is a shell with some bits of algae growing over it :)

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
I was in Croyde, North Devon over Christmas and while rock pooling I came across this.
I think it's a Gem Anemone and when extended, it was quite something. Typically I spooked it trying to take a photo!!
Maybe this is something to look for if going for more anemones.

Attachments

• 20221228_151537.jpg
    20221228_151537.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 77

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
I was in Croyde, North Devon over Christmas and while rock pooling I came across this.
I think it's a Gem Anemone and when extended, it was quite something. Typically I spooked it trying to take a photo!!
Looks to me like a Gem, those guys are also relatively shy but show similar patterns in when they appear to the Strawberry nems.

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Yep always to keep an eye out for and the purple weed I would have taken some of that as well thanks for your info @TheBear78

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far in the tank sea weed wise
1 Bladder wrack
2 Sea lettuce
3 coral weed
4 oarweed

Anemones in the tank
1 Dahlia anemone
2 Snake lock Anemone
3 Beadlet Anemone various colours green / Red/ greenish yellowish

Fish

1 Common blenny

So this me trying to learn new things. So this is a learning curve when it comes to the uk coast line . But if your willing to learn new trick you will succeed eventually lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far in the tank sea weed wise
1 Bladder wrack
2 Sea lettuce
3 coral weed
4 oarweed

Anemones in the tank
1 Dahlia anemone
2 Snake lock Anemone
3 Beadlet Anemone various colours green / Red/ greenish yellowish

Fish

1 Common blenny

So this me trying to learn new things. So this is a learning curve when it comes to the uk coast line . But if your willing to learn new trick you will succeed eventually lol
I’m excited to see what way this tank goes :)
If only we had more shallow water coral as we have coral it’s just you’d have to deep dive for it.

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
The second snake lock Anemone has started splitting so that has gone this week from 2to4 and if I get over run with them I can return some back to the rock pools . Photos attached
61EBF405-A6C8-42C9-B685-9396FBF48220.jpeg
331B2432-35C2-44AB-BF02-3501179FA466.jpeg
Norman is out today looking for his food Crazy Norman put a smile on my face every day lol . More update coming soon

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the uk we are having warm weather at the moment. I filled the back chambers with ice packs and it didn’t lower the temperature at all I think it is to the volume of warm water to the ice blocks . So then I got a polystyrene box coiled air pipe and a pump to slowly circulate back to the tank with frozen bottles of water on top of the coiled pipe and this didn’t work so at the moment out of ideas apart from purchasing a chiller but I wanted to do this so anyone trying this had no big expense. Any thoughts welcome

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
So you know I have had problems keeping the heat down. As you know I tried ice packs and pumping water into a polystyrene box with ice in it and back to the tank and a honest answer they did not work . So today fitted 2 cooler fans which are very quite and have a remote for 5 fan speeds and how many hours you want them to run . So do they work YES eventually got something reasonable price and works the tank has been sat at 24 the last three days with the fans on the lowest setting it is sat at 18 . So that’s a little more info on temp control in the nano . Also the weather outside is very worm so things look good now I have sorted temp with out a proper chiller. Attached photos
E98A0A35-6599-46F2-9137-134A3A1467A1.jpeg
A7E820D0-6320-4F50-B1C4-5236A014474A.jpeg
F9C42808-7D7B-459F-8D44-D0FE8314F7E9.jpeg

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are the nems from our water hardier?
Early days but they were splitting last week 2into 4 snakelocks and the Beadlet red and yellow seem to be hardy . When you feed them they don’t miss much food lol. I also have bubble tips in another tank and they are quite hardy imo

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back