ULM Upgrade Suggestions?

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I’m looking to pull the trigger this weekend on a used Red Sea Reefer Nano. I’ve been out of the hobby over 10 years, a lot of which had to do with maintenance/time requirements. I’m out of college now with a larger budget so I hope to acquire some upgrades to make this tank as easy as possible.

I’m wondering what y’all think of price of this setup I’m about to purchase, and what should be upgraded? System is 4yrs old. Supposedly good working order for $650:

-Red Sea Reefer Nano 21g display/7g sump w/stand
-NanoBox Duo Plus M LED
-Sicce Syncra 2.0
-Neptune ATK V2
-Bubble Magus NAC3.5 Protein Skimmer
-Aqueon Pro 100w heater
-Hydor Koralia Nano 425gph Powerhead

I still have an MP10 from my previous tank that I will use.

So far I’m looking at adding (as budget permits):
-BRS 4-Stage Value 75GPD RO/DI System
-BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor (not sure if it will fit in sump yet)
-Neptune ApexEL Controller
-Neptune DOS – Dosing and Fluid Metering System

This tank would mainly be softies and zoas with a clown fish or two (because Finding Nemo and I have a 4yo) and a cleaner shrimp.

Definitely interested to hear what y’all think about the existing equipment in this purchase, whether it’s a fair price, and if I left anything off my “bucket list?”

Thanks!

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copied from the Welcome forum....

Hi there! Welcome (back)!!! I'd say thats a fair deal you found! Me being the haggler that I am would probably still ask for 600 hundred flat lol but either way, I'd say thats a good start! Definately the smart route to go used!

If you are just going softies, I doubt you would need to dose but Ill let the experts handle that opinion. GFO and Carbon could probably wait as well till the tank gets going! Sounds like you got this! Good luck :D

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advice from @Krixic is spot on.

I've never had to use GFO and I've been fine with carbon in a bag, when I feel the need to polish the water.

Are you 100% set on the nano? That can be very limiting, leading to expensive upgrades in your future.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,you should make this your build thread,get a badge so we can follow and help along the way ;)

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good start for a nano tank and all the gear on the list I’d say it’s relatively fair, I feel like I’ve seen better deals on larger tanks but with less to no gear. As a gear head I’d replace the light and the heater. Beyond that you’re in a good place for a tank of that size. The GFO and Carbon reactor might be overkill at least at the start. Everything else is looking pretty good, but based on your experience and how this hobby becomes pretty consuming/addicting I’m pretty sure we’re going to seeing a bigger tank out of you in a year:)
Last thing... Remember when you go to snag the tank check the seals for wear and tear typically my only concern with used tanks.
Looking forward to seeing your update!

OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advice from @Krixic is spot on.

I've never had to use GFO and I've been fine with carbon in a bag, when I feel the need to polish the water.

Are you 100% set on the nano? That can be very limiting, leading to expensive upgrades in your future.

I’d love to get the Red Sea Max E-170, but dang that price tag is steep. I really like the clean lines on the Red Sea and how the cabinet matches well, so if I did go bigger that’s what I would get. It’s probably wiser to hold off for a few months and save for the larger tank, but part of me is holding back because I’m afraid I won’t be able to commit the necessary time, and the $650 is a lot more palatable. Although after upgrades I am still looking at another $1,000. I feel this will be good to start, and if I have the commitment then I can upgrade and sell this tank sometime next year.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty consistent advice has already been given. On that small of a tank you more than likely would not need the GFO and carbon reactor. I have a 65gal with just softies and LPS and honestly don't even use a skimmer right now. Nitrates and phosphates are pretty stable and within range for softies. If you were gonna do SPS then it would be a differnt story. I just use a bag of carbon whenever needed too. Only thing I would really change with your current items is the heater, might wanna go with an Eheim heater. They are very dependable. Good luck

OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good start for a nano tank and all the gear on the list I’d say it’s relatively fair, I feel like I’ve seen better deals on larger tanks but with less to no gear. As a gear head I’d replace the light and the heater. Beyond that you’re in a good place for a tank of that size. The GFO and Carbon reactor might be overkill at least at the start. Everything else is looking pretty good, but based on your experience and how this hobby becomes pretty consuming/addicting I’m pretty sure we’re going to seeing a bigger tank out of you in a year:)
Last thing... Remember when you go to snag the tank check the seals for wear and tear typically my only concern with used tanks.
Looking forward to seeing your update!

Well, you were right lol. Ended up finding a Reefer 170 last night and went and picked it up today. Thanks for the advice on the seals I hadn't thought of that.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%

Back