Ultra low flow display?

bearycool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t really find any info on this, but I have a 40b with a jebao controllable wave pump on the lowest setting and most gentle/random flow pattern
image.jpg
, and I am running an LPS only system and I am thinking about removing the wave maker completely from my display because I have a large amount of the tank that is unusable because there is just too much flow and the polyps get beat up so bad so quick that I have to retreat them immediately before they develop skeleton punctures. I have tried countless positions and angles and locations for the wave maker but to no avail. Thinking about going dual RFG on the return loc-lines as the only display flow and seeing how that does the tank with possibly an ultra low flow system. Any thoughts on this and potential pros and cons to ultra low flow? Get great growth and polyp extension from coral under the wave maker with the lowest flow area in my tank. Going to have plenty of surface exchange for gas in the skimmer and sump so ph shouldn’t have a noticeable change. Let me know your thoughts!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need high flow to have a reef tank, but it's easier if you at least have some stirring/water motion to break up surface tension for O2 and some device to skim surface. There maybe some issues you'll have to look out for such as algae/cyano in low flow areas and detritus settling out that you'll need to remove. Additionally, there maybe some corals that don't do well without higher flow but even some of the easier SPS will do ok in low flow systems (birdsnest for example).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back