Unanswered threads???

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just add that this is an area I try to work on. And THANK YOU to everybody who helps out. I'm a bit slow to this thread because I'm on vacation. But I had time to get online this morning because I can't go out snorkeling from an 11' Zodiac in a thunderstorm! Hopefully it will clear soon and we'll get out later this morning!

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey WAKE UP! :) there are 2 pages of unanswered threads (for the first time in a while), time to get back to work!
You know me and how I can only try! ;)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i know, i have had a busy /stressfull week,popin a couple,here and there,be back on game mon night,go get em,R2R ;)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nailed a few down to one page +1 post,go get em guys ;)

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just wanted to point out to everybody that if you click the 3 horizontal lines in the top left of your screen (at least on my mobile version) there is a section for unanswered threads that I think needs more attention.

I've seen quite a few posts on there (alot of them from first time posters) that are simple to answer yet get overlooked and forgotten.

Anyways that's my new favorite section to explore, hopefully you guys will do the same!
Totally agree. If I can’t answer, I give them a bump

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started trying to answer the unanswered threads now because of this! I get to help out, and possibly prevent a wrong answer from being given to someone first. Win win!
If I don’t know the answer, I just don’t say anything. Does anyone know whether it’s better to bump, or if a thread will get more attention being in the unanswered section?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have started trying to answer the unanswered threads now because of this! I get to help out, and possibly prevent a wrong answer from being given to someone first. Win win!
If I don’t know the answer, I just don’t say anything. Does anyone know whether it’s better to bump, or if a thread will get more attention being in the unanswered section?
good question,i answer what i think i can,or tag someone i think can help,knocking them down now,this is a great thread,the more we can get on board with this the better :cool:

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it doesn't get attention,because there are literally hundreds of the same threads posted day after day,about the same thing over and over. Not that they don't need to be answered but I feel like (because this was the same issue we have over at NR) people don't want to use the search function on the forum nor on google. Where they would be able to quickly find the answer to their question.

They want instant gratification of having people flocking to their needs to answer their question,that has more than likely be beaten like a dead horse 100 times since January.

So why do these threads go unanswered ? People don't want to help people who can't help themselves and figure it would. When I started,I would stay up until 2,3,4am researching and researching and researching then search some more. Nowadays people expect 100 responses before they even post the dang thread.. smh.

EXAMPLE 1-
[ OMG IS THIS DINO'S ?!?!?! HELP !!!] But could type Dino's into the search bar here or google and find 10,000,000,000 threads talking about it within 1 minute,how to treat it,what causes it,steps to take,people beating it ect ect. Yet they won't search.

Totally fair. But as a person who's relatively new to the hobby and to R2R, sometimes I don't even know the right terms to search or to put in my topic description - ESPECIALLY when there are a million slang terms or acronyms that are pretty much old hat to the folks who've been here forever. And I read the "Dummies" book before I even got here!

That being said, I only found R2R because I was doing my own googling and you're right. Often, there are 8,000 threads for the same issue that posters didn't bother to search for... But now that I'm typing a stream of consciousness, I wonder if there's a thread that defines all the acronyms and slang terms..? Maybe I should use the search function and find out.

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally fair. But as a person who's relatively new to the hobby and to R2R, sometimes I don't even know the right terms to search or to put in my topic description - ESPECIALLY when there are a million slang terms or acronyms that are pretty much old hat to the folks who've been here forever. And I read the "Dummies" book before I even got here!

That being said, I only found R2R because I was doing my own googling and you're right. Often, there are 8,000 threads for the same issue that posters didn't bother to search for... But now that I'm typing a stream of consciousness, I wonder if there's a thread that defines all the acronyms and slang terms..? Maybe I should use the search function and find out.

Lol. That literally took me less than 2 minutes. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/acronyms-abbreviations-vocabulary-and-slang-for-the-reef-aquarist-revised-december-2018.550/

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...I'm of the opinion that if it hasn't been answered within 24 hours, that it's worth bumping up. But also when bumping, I try to analyze and see what the best approach is. A lot of unanswered threads can be benefited by somebody asking the right question. Things like "can you tell us your parameters? what else is in the aquarium?" as opposed to a simple "bump!" (which I am very guilty of doing from time to time). Or tagging people when I know I'm in over my head, ex. Jay Hemdal and HumbleFish in the disease forum, brandon429 when it has anything to do with sand rinsing/pico jars, etc etc.

I'm also of the opinion that if it's an interesting topic, I should just click the fancy "watch" button, instead of commenting "following!", since there's at least some modicum of attention on the unanswered thread area now. That way I can learn, and not screw up somebody's attempt to find information on the topic as well...

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I answer those that I feel comfortable about. Offer help to those I'm less sure of. And try to bump those I can't help, but are in need and worthy of help. Heck, I even bump some that are... well... not really trying to find their own answer, just to get them off the list!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
reviving this,jkster nailed most last night,i keep looking ,cannot think straight tonight,going to bed!! go get em guys/gals ;) :cool:

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've hit maybe 6 or 7 today but then I had to get out of the house with the family (they're so needy). At one point today there were 0, then it shot up to 2 pages and then back down. Keep it up guys!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I used to be a Sysop for compuserve back in the 1980s, so I paid my dues the hard way....
Jay

Jay, I remember that well because of course I was there. :p

I'm a bit slow to this thread because I'm on vacation.

Ron I thought you were always on Vacarion :D

I just answered a thread on the Unanswered thread about a Paulb mandarin feeder. I answered it because I have a little incite about that. :cool:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron I thought you were always on Vacarion :D

I just answered a thread on the Unanswered thread about a Paulb mandarin feeder. I answered it because I have a little incite about that. :cool:

OK, you got me! Yes, I am now permanently on vacation. But 10% of the time vacation takes me away from home and keeps me extra busy, which can make it hard to get time to be on R2R!

Back