Unanswered threads???

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just wanted to point out to everybody that if you click the 3 horizontal lines in the top left of your screen (at least on my mobile version) there is a section for unanswered threads that I think needs more attention.

I've seen quite a few posts on there (alot of them from first time posters) that are simple to answer yet get overlooked and forgotten.

Anyways that's my new favorite section to explore, hopefully you guys will do the same!

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like yours is still unanswered, just wanted to make sure you got the right attention!;) I also agree, i try and keep and eye out on the unanswered section as well to help when i can!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm a new mod here, but I've been viewing unanswered threads for that very reason. In some cases, I have nothing to add, so I stay silent (grin).

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like yours is still unanswered, just wanted to make sure you got the right attention!;) I also agree, i try and keep and eye out on the unanswered section as well to help when i can!
Ooh close call, I was wondering if this one would creep down that list. Thanks @Redfoxtang

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it doesn't get attention,because there are literally hundreds of the same threads posted day after day,about the same thing over and over. Not that they don't need to be answered but I feel like (because this was the same issue we have over at NR) people don't want to use the search function on the forum nor on google. Where they would be able to quickly find the answer to their question.

They want instant gratification of having people flocking to their needs to answer their question,that has more than likely be beaten like a dead horse 100 times since January.

So why do these threads go unanswered ? People don't want to help people who can't help themselves and figure it would. When I started,I would stay up until 2,3,4am researching and researching and researching then search some more. Nowadays people expect 100 responses before they even post the dang thread.. smh.

EXAMPLE 1-
[ OMG IS THIS DINO'S ?!?!?! HELP !!!] But could type Dino's into the search bar here or google and find 10,000,000,000 threads talking about it within 1 minute,how to treat it,what causes it,steps to take,people beating it ect ect. Yet they won't search.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it doesn't get attention,because there are literally hundreds of the same threads posted day after day,about the same thing over and over. Not that they don't need to be answered but I feel like (because this was the same issue we have over at NR) people don't want to use the search function on the forum nor on google. Where they would be able to quickly find the answer to their question.

They want instant gratification of having people flocking to their needs to answer their question,that has more than likely be beaten like a dead horse 100 times since January.

So why do these threads go unanswered ? People don't want to help people who can't help themselves and figure it would. When I started,I would stay up until 2,3,4am researching and researching and researching then search some more. Nowadays people expect 100 responses before they even post the dang thread.. smh.

EXAMPLE 1-
[ OMG IS THIS DINO'S ?!?!?! HELP !!!] But could type Dino's into the search bar here or google and find 10,000,000,000 threads talking about it within 1 minute,how to treat it,what causes it,steps to take,people beating it ect ect. Yet they won't search.
I hear you on the repeated questions and that people should do their own research and obviously it bugs certain people (you) more than others (me) but at the end of the day I just think that a personalized conversation with people who have been there is so much better than a generic Google answer (and don't get me started on forum search tools, they're awful).

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got started reef keeping by google searches, and most answers led to post right here on r2r. now some people think they have unique situations that will change the answer some what, some do most do not. sometimes they may not understand the answer completely and need clarification.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came out of the "unanswered threads" section. I've only been on the forum for a while, but it seems that the section seems to accumulate a few pages over the weekend, then get cleared out throughout the work week.

Usually when I start getting irritated at the people who refuse to google anything, is when I decide that I need to take a break from answering threads. Although I'm very tempted to just be incredibly sarcastic in the posts, or better yet, include google links when answering the questions....but after the break, it's back to "here's all the information that [you could have googled but I won't say so] you want/need!"

Now what really bugs me is when somebody's giving really, really bad information on the forum in conjunction with there being a history of the somebody providing bad information...flips table.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came out of the "unanswered threads" section. I've only been on the forum for a while, but it seems that the section seems to accumulate a few pages over the weekend, then get cleared out throughout the work week.

Usually when I start getting irritated at the people who refuse to google anything, is when I decide that I need to take a break from answering threads. Although I'm very tempted to just be incredibly sarcastic in the posts, or better yet, include google links when answering the questions....but after the break, it's back to "here's all the information that [you could have googled but I won't say so] you want/need!"

Now what really bugs me is when somebody's giving really, really bad information on the forum in conjunction with there being a history of the somebody providing bad information...flips table.
Ya that's a good call just to take a break sometimes instead of giving a blunt answer. I'm not gonna lie, when I see my fifth "is this an aiptasia" thread of the day I start to get annoyed too. The problem imo is that when you get a pest and google what it is you usually come across 20 different threads where some people say it's definately an aiptasia and others say no way, aiptaisa are blue and have giant teeth! That's why forums like R2R are so great, you can actually get a clear answer about exactly what you have going on (instead of reading about someone else that had something kind of similar in 2012)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks to all of you who help our members and especially for watching out for those unanswered threads! YOU are what makes this a great community of hobbyists helping hobbyists!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I find annoying is when people take the time to complain about answering the same question over and over. I see it all the time on here and many other sites and pages. The answer is simple, just keep moving along. Don't even take the time to click or read it. I get asked the same question at least 20 times a day. Where's the bathroom. Every single time I get asked that question I smile and politely explain where it is. The person is happy and I am happy because I was able to help someone. Making people happy helps to make me happy. If helping others doesn't appeal to you, stop helping.

Also, remember also that a lot of people are not as "computer savy" as you and sometimes need to ask that question because they don't know how to research using google. And just because it is on google doesn't make it true. You also have to sift through those 10,000,00 hits and try to weed out the facts. Some of us work 14 hours a day or longer and don't have the time to wade through all of those sites.

So, to all of you that do answer my questions, even if it is the thousandth time today, a huge heartfelt thank you and please realise that the knowledge you pass on to me I will happily and gladly pass on to as many people as I can. Thank You!

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
i got started reef keeping by google searches, and most answers led to post right here on r2r. now some people think they have unique situations that will change the answer some what, some do most do not. sometimes they may not understand the answer completely and need clarification.
ORRRR they don’t like the answers they are finding on their own and are hoping someone will eventually give them the answer they want ie “ no that’s not Dinos, you’ve discovered the very rare and valuable string coral better get fragging you’re going to be a millionaire”

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O

ORRRR they don’t like the answers they are finding on their own and are hoping someone will eventually give them the answer they want ie “ no that’s not Dinos, you’ve discovered the very rare and valuable string coral better get fragging you’re going to be a millionaire”
I have seen this myself. Keep asking the questions until someone gives them an answer that they like.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this myself. Keep asking the questions until someone gives them an answer that they like.
As have I, many many times. But I try not to get bitter about it and I just move on from those kinds of conversations that aren't going anywhere

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i avidly do that late night ,just last night pulled all i could answer,and a bump to the important ones i could not,to say who i have ran into the most doing this is @Flippers4pups many of late nights ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back