Underwater coral attachment

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To attach corals to rock underwater, I've always used that grey stick putty that you knead. But it frustrates me more often than not. If I can take the rock out of the water, I'll use super glue gel. What techniques do people use to attach corals to rock underwater?
Gary

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the grey putty usually doesn't work at all. But I usually try to drill 1/2" holes in my rocks and stick the frag plugs in there. If the hole is too big i put putty in it then put the plug in so it will fill in the gaps.

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL... I wish.
I usually drill my rock before I do the rock structure. It takes a lot of pre-planning. I only drill them 1" deep and the rock will look ugly until coralline grows in. Most of my rock structures are like fruit stand style. My favorite is taking a nice piece of tonga branch and drilling holes arcross it like every 4". It looks like a coral bar.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For smaller pieces, I just use super glue gel. I dry the bottom of the coral, add the gel, and move it around slightly and then hold it on the rock (underwater). You have to move it around at first to break the film it makes when the glue hits the water.
If it's a large piece I use the green/white epoxy and super glue gel. Put the gel on the bottom of the frag, then the epoxy, more gel on the bottom of the epoxy, and press it onto a rock. Without the gel, the epoxy isn't really sticky and the frag will just fall off. For large frags, I let the epoxy dry slightly and then apply, so it's a little stiffer and I don't have to hold it underwater for so long. If it's still really soft, heavy frags will just slowly fall over.
I don't usually take any rocks out of my tank to glue frags to, just do it underwater.

vietcu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just knead a ball of that 2part epoxy, press it into the rock where I want it to go. Hold it there for about a minute or so, and hope it sticks once I let go :).

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IC Gel works the best IME. Way better than using two part epoxy under water.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i usually put superglue gel on the frag outside of the tank and then quickly stick it to the lr in the tank before it dries or hardens takes a bit of practice and patience but it's simple once you get the hang of it just move quickly and know where you're going before you stick the frag underwater

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For smaller pieces, I usually end up using an entire tube of glue. When I finally get fed up, or have a larger piece to tie down, I usually end up with a combo of epoxy and glue. The epoxy forms to the LR and to the bottom of the coral and the superglue helps hold it all together. It's an in and out of the tank thing, though (form the epoxy to the place it is going and to the base of the frag, then glue, etc.).

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of Both Worlds...

Mold a small ball of 2-part epoxy...
Place a glob of super glue on one side of epoxy ball...
Push epoxy ball onto bottom of frag...
Place a gob of super glue on bottom of epoxy ball now attached to frag...
Push frag into rockwork and twist slightly (do last step fast).

If you dont try to work the epoxy too much in the last step, this will not fail you! :D

Angel2626

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use reef putty. It's always worked well for me other than I usually either make too much or too little. It is fairly easy to pop off the rock and bottom of the coral too if you decided to move it later.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 60 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.6%
Back